Carnival Victory Hits Building as it Docks

site41

[quote name='GoinCruisin']What about the pilot? Doesn't the ship at some point become their responsibility? Especially in a heavy traffic area?[/quote]

This is one of the really strange areas of shipping. The harbor pilot is in command of the helm while the Master remains responsible. So if the pilot errs, the Master catches hell. But if the Master over rules the pilot and still something bad happens. The Cap. can probably call it a career.

Dan

[quote name='smeyer418']Never except in the Panama Canal. The ships master is always responsible. The Pilot gives advice only.[/quote]

Tell that to the Mississippi pilots....no foreign captain can operate a vessel in a US port...the pilots do it.

That was was explained to me on my cruise out of NOLA by a former pilot turned minister who piloted the Mississippi for 30 years, that we shared our dining table with.

[quote name='dan40']This is one of the really strange areas of shipping. The harbor pilot is in command of the helm while the Master remains responsible. So if the pilot errs, the Master catches hell. But if the Master over rules the pilot and still something bad happens. The Cap. can probably call it a career.

Dan[/quote]

Dan, thank you for the explanation! That makes sense...

[quote name='dan40']This is one of the really strange areas of shipping. The harbor pilot is in command of the helm while the Master remains responsible. So if the pilot errs, the Master catches hell. But if the Master over rules the pilot and still something bad happens. The Cap. can probably call it a career.

Dan[/quote]

That makes more sense. (kinda...LOL)

The pilot is in control but not responsible.

I love how everyone already knows exactly what happened in the command center (ie..asleep at the wheel, pushed the wrong thruster, ziged when he should of zagged...LMAO):rolleyes:

[quote name='kelz66']
I love how everyone already knows exactly what happened in the command center (ie..asleep at the wheel, pushed the wrong thruster, ziged when he should of zagged...LMAO):rolleyes:[/quote]

Maybe these geniuses can quickly figure out why the bridge collapsed in Minni? ;)

[quote name='kelz66']Tell that to the Mississippi pilots....no foreign captain can operate a vessel in a US port...the pilots do it.

That was was explained to me on my cruise out of NOLA by a former pilot turned minister who piloted the Mississippi for 30 years, that we shared our dining table with.[/quote]
sorry but you are just plain wrong. Its the Captain who is charge. The Pilots never touch the helm. They must have a pilot aboard but the person in charge remains the Captain/master. There is a insurance reason for this somewhere. The Pilots charge enough but they would have to charge more if they were responsible for the ship. As I said the only exception to this is the Panama canal...not the Suez just the Panama. Its in CG rules somewhere I'll find it...

here is one such listing
Harbour pilot
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Signal flag H(Hotel) - Pilot on Board

Boarding is tricky, as both vessels are moving and cannot afford to slow down.
Pilot boat Apollo, Rotterdam, is equipped with many railings to give pilots handholds while transferring.

A harbour pilot guides ships through the narrow, shallow and dangerous coastal waters between a harbour and the open sea.

A highly coveted and potentially dangerous position, a pilot is a master mariner with many years of experience in the harbour that they are licensed to operate in.

Most harbours require vessels of a certain size to take on a pilot, at which point the pilot effectively controls the movements of that ship. Legally the master remains in command of the ship. The pilot is an adviser only.

[quote name='Karysa'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Has there been a post from someone who disembarked this morning? I would be interested in hearing about what happened when it hit and afterwards too.
Karysa[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Yes, on one of the other threads. He said he never felt a thing.

[quote name='smeyer418']sorry but you are just plain wrong. Its the Captain who is charge. The Pilots never touch the helm. They must have a pilot aboard but the person in charge remains the Captain/master. There is a insurance reason for this somewhere. The Pilots charge enough but they would have to charge more if they were responsible for the ship. As I said the only exception to this is the Panama canal...not the Suez just the Panama. Its in CG rules somewhere I'll find it...

here is one such listing
Harbour pilot
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Signal flag H(Hotel) - Pilot on Board

Boarding is tricky, as both vessels are moving and cannot afford to slow down.
Pilot boat Apollo, Rotterdam, is equipped with many railings to give pilots handholds while transferring.

A harbour pilot guides ships through the narrow, shallow and dangerous coastal waters between a harbour and the open sea.

A highly coveted and potentially dangerous position, a pilot is a master mariner with many years of experience in the harbour that they are licensed to operate in.

Most harbours require vessels of a certain size to take on a pilot, at which point the pilot effectively controls the movements of that ship. Legally the master remains in command of the ship. The pilot is an adviser only.[/quote]

You are 100% right!!! The pilot is the adviser, but the captain is ultimately in charge!!

[quote name='Clutterlady']You are 100% right!!! The pilot is the adviser, but the captain is ultimately in charge!![/quote]

Well perhaps... and I'm just guessing here, since I'm obviously no professional... but I don't think the pilot should have [B]advised[/B] the Captain to hit the pier :p :eek: :p :eek:

[quote name='GoinCruisin']Well perhaps... and I'm just guessing here, since I'm obviously no professional... but I don't think the pilot should have [B]advised[/B] the Captain to hit the pier :p :eek: :p :eek:[/quote]

Maybe it was raining and the brakes were wet. :rolleyes:

o.k... it's hot here in NYC but no storms, no wind, nothing out of the ordinary...

If the ship was damaged, it clearly was the fault of the captain. Why are some so adament in excusing Carnival from responsibility?

[quote name='yogimax']o.k... it's hot here in NYC but no storms, no wind, nothing out of the ordinary...

If the ship was damaged, it clearly was the fault of the captain. Why are some so adament in excusing Carnival from responsibility?[/quote]

Who is excusing Carnival from responsibility?? :confused: The question was, was it the PILOT, or the CAPTAIN... nobody questioned Carnival :confused:

[quote name='yogimax']o.k... it's hot here in NYC but no storms, no wind, nothing out of the ordinary...

If the ship was damaged, it clearly was the fault of the captain. Why are some so adament in excusing Carnival from responsibility?[/quote]

The rain and wet brakes was obviously a joke. I haven't seen anyone try to excuse Carnival from responsibility. Wondering who is responsible for the ship and when, but not trying to excuse.

[quote name='Karysa'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I have seen the photo and I can't believe that they did not feel anything. I guess since the ship is so big this is like hitting a curb when you park your car.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Karysa[/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

Hey, the morning after the last night on the ship, I wouldn't have felt a thing either :p That last night is always a blast, hell... I would have just been getting to bed around that time :D

Just got off the ship this morning and we felt nothing -- did not even know it happened until we spoke to someone by cell and they told us. It did delay getting off the ship by about an 1 hour.

Archived