Cases of Wine/ Wearing Jeans........

sail7seas

The Lancer vase went well on my homemade coffee table, consisting glued together (empty) cans of my nectar, Dr. Pepper, with a plexi-glass top. Eat my dust, Martha. :)

What no bookshelves made out of plywood and cinder blocks.

Oh wait you were probably fancy schmancy and used milk crates *LOL*

What no bookshelves made out of plywood and cinder blocks.

Oh wait you were probably fancy schmancy and used milk crates *LOL*

No, no ... Babyher! Fancy schmancy is my bricks and boards:D (see post above).

NNN, paper flowers from Azuma. That might have just been a NY store, but they had paper everything in the 70's.

And of course the artwork of that era *LOL*

Big loud day-glo painted on black velvet.

Wooden sculptures of a hand making the peace sign or the black power sign.

The famous poster or Wiley Coyote holding The Road Runner by the neck saying "BEEP BEEP YOUR A$$"

And Lava Lamps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few years ago they became "IN" again and I got one for DD. She loved it !!!! She would plug it in and just stare at it and be fascinated .

This scared the hell out of me because I did the same thing at that age , and if it was for the same reason as me , I'll kill her *LOL*

What a blast from the past..... my mind drifts back to MD 20/20. :)

I had a "Dirty Rotten Biker Friend" who was quite fond of their "White Lightning" in the 70's ;)

Do you suppose that's available at Galatoires? :cool:

:D Ah yes, the blurry memories of MD 20/20...... somehow I doubt Galatoire's has that on the wine list....maybe at Emeril's ;)

At the risk of getting hammered:eek: (physically, not from drinking Asti!), a lot of memories here from the Great Depression!:D :D ;).........................................Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you!;)

305291551_54fed50f55.jpg?v=0

At the risk of getting hammered:eek: (physically, not from drinking Asti!), a lot of memories here from the Great Depression!:D :D ;).........................................Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you!;)

305291551_54fed50f55.jpg?v=0

HEY ..... That doesn't look like a Lava Lamp to me

No one decorated with wine bottles better than me:D . I used the cheapo Chianti bottles (the ones in the sort-of basket with twine?) as candle holders.

They sat charmingly on my bricks-and-boards bookcase in my West Side NYC apartment. And those bottles had that wax melting down them, too.

:D :D

We have the same tastes ! :D I loved those Chianti bottles.

Did you have any of those hanging beads ? :D

My original wooden/brick book shelving is outside at my parents (their ages 82-79) close to my fathers shed for tools. I have thought about cleaning it up and having a flat bed trailer come in and drag all the unused stuff away but I kind of like seeing them and remembering the "good old days" anyway some day either myself or my children could just burn the whole thing to the ground but for now...memories.

I plan on taking aboard a few of my favorite champagne and reislings. The cost of the on board is so high and I kind of like the cheaper wines better than the more costly..just a matter of taste, dont you know.

Linda

Well ... I HAD been on a cruise about a year before I first encountered my first lava lamp. So there IS a bit of a connection there;)

We have the same tastes ! :D I loved those Chianti bottles.

Did you have any of those hanging beads ? :D

Yes I did!!! There was a lot of that going on;) ... Woodstock, Age of Aquarius, etc., etc.

The only good thing about growing older is the memories of all good things ... youth, cruises, first loves, cruises ...:)

I have a confession to make. I've sinned. On HAL Alaska cruises, after returning just before dinner from a full day ashore, I've worn jeans to the dining room. More than once. I'm afraid I might do it again on my upcoming coastal cruise. Do I need intervention? Should RevNeal be contacted?

Moving on, I recently tried the Two Buck Chuck Chardonnay and found that it made a very acceptable everyday affordable table wine. Has anyone tried their reds and if so which kind and are they worth getting a bottle?

I take a case of Champagne and a case of Resling aboard on each cruise. God bless Holland American for the wine/champagne boarding policy...no limit! Oh, yes I was wearing jeans and a blazer when I boarded. (travelling clothes.)

Happy dressing, happy drinking!:) :) :)

David

We saw Hairspray, the movie yesterday, which by the way, was excellent. It takes place in the early 60's and there was one scene near the end with lots of those wine bottles decorated with melted wax down their sides. They really looked nice! Brought back memories. When my husband was in the Navy, we had a bookcase made of bricks and wood too. It was filled with my daughter's toys but we left it there when we returned home.

Betty, I just looked and I see there are no Trader Joes in Florida which is too bad. Unfortunately I am not sure you can buy it any where else but Trader Joes:o

Thanks Lisa, Maybe we can find some of the other wines from Bronco that Frank mentioned...

Wine brands are kind of funny because if you try to find information about a "Charles Shaw" vineyard you don't find anything. It turns out 2Buck Chuck, or Charles Shaw wines are made by Bronco wines.....they are largest wine maker you've probably never heard of. They bought out the original Charles Shaw a long time ago and release their cheapest wines under his name. This one company has 35000 acres of vines so they have huge production and many names

• Black Mountain
  • Cedar Brook
  • Charles Shaw
  • Crane Lake
  • Estrella
  • ForestVille
  • FoxHollow
  • Grand Cru
  • Hacienda
  • Montpellier
  • Napa Ridge
  • Napa Creek
  • Rutherford Vintners
  • Salmon Creek
  • Sea Ridge
  • Silver Ridge

Charles Shaw aside the only other one I've tried was Napa Ridge which was also an OK table wine. They produce 10,000,000 cases of wine a year, #5 for total production, the Gallo company produces 75,000,000 cases yikes, thats allot of Paisano

I'll look into some of them...When we go to Carabbas or the Outback (no waiting for a table if you go early ) for their delicious Hamburgers with chopped blue cheese salad, I've also been ordering Sangria..During Happy Hour they are two for one...Could not figure out why I felt tipsy on two Sangria's & then had a headache later..Until my Good Friend pointed out to me that they both put a shot of Brandy in them..I actually never knew you made Sangria with Brandy..That's how much I drink...

No one decorated with wine bottles better than me:D . I used the cheapo Chianti bottles (the ones in the sort-of basket with twine?) as candle holders.

They sat charmingly on my bricks-and-boards bookcase in my West Side NYC apartment. And those bottles had that wax melting down them, too.

Not to mention the paper flowers from Azuma on my coffee table that was actually an old dining table with cut-off legs!!! :D

Wow Heather, You really lived in the Upper Rent District..West side of Manhattan, was where I always wanted to live!

All I could afford was a Fancy Schmancy Apartment in "Queens" (NYC), two blocks from the subway & Airport Bus Line ..It was considered Fancy Schmancy because it had a Doorman..Never had the Paper flowers, but does anyone remember the plastic window curtains.. Mother, always said that curtains in a new apartment would make it "homier" (sp) looking - along with the bricks & boards bookcases...DH still claims, when he met me I was using milk crates, but he was wrong it was definitely those fancy bricks & boards..;) LOL

Had an old couch with 2 sets of slipcovers from "Gertz"..But my real fancy schmancy "Dining room suite" was my pride & joy..It was comprised of an Antique Gate-leg table from my Mother & ladder back Chairs from "Furniture in the Raw" which I re-finished myself.. LOL

Thanks for the Memories Everyone..:) Betty

Oh God Cold Duck :)

Now there is a trip down Memory Lane *LOL*

Oh course back in the day no well decorated dorm room or apartment was complete without candle holders or a vase made out of a bottle of Lancers Rose *LOL*

Remember those ceramic like bottles they came in

Lancer's - there's a name I hadn't heard in years, lol! It was a brownish colored ceramic, wasn't it? My sister had one in her room...

Betty I lived in that apartment (rent controlled) from 1966 until 1985 when I got married and moved to NJ. Wonderful memories, but no doorman. We hated giving it up ... it was a steal!

The bricks and boards worked great! Only problem was every time I rearranged the LR, it was a major deal!!!!:D

When we cruise next year on Eurodam, NYC is a port. We're going to walk over to our old apartment. It was in a fantastic area ... right near Lincoln Center.

Archived