Garment Bags & Packing a Silk Skirt

partygirl43

Hi--A first time cruiser here wondering if anyone brings a garment bag. I need to figure our how to transport my DH's suit jacket and my collection of skirts (I'm a big skirt gal). Any tips on how to keep everything from getting too rumpley????

Partygirl43

I take a lot of skirts too. I don't even use a garmet bag anymore. I found it didn't really keep my clothes all that wrinkle free. We now use a large suitcase and we put DH's tux and my gowns and skirts in it. I try to keep them on hangers and in dry cleaner bags. Some folks don't think it helps but in my own experience, I have found that works just fine. I also take along a portabele steamer but I have yet to need it.:D

Good luck with packing!

We take our "tends to wrinkle stuff" and put tissue paper betwen the folds and put each garment in a plastic cleaners bag. Most of our stuff hangs out just fine. Sometimes we let stuff hang in the bathroom after we run a hot shower and that seems to do the trick.

And we try very hard not to overpack...we use one foldover Travelpro garment carrier for both of us.

But most of our cruises have been on NCL, so we haven't used a lot of formal wear (although we like to dress up for Le Bistro and for "Formal" night).

When we did our last Celebrity cruise, I rented a Tux and that really helped me reduce what I had to pack in the way of dressy clothes.

The method I've used to pack linen or silk is the same. Yes, I have taken linen on a cruise :p

We do use a garment bag and we find our hanging clothes come out far less wrinkled than a suitcase. For things that wrinkle I use a dry cleaner bag both inside and outside the garment. We pack so the clothing doesn't shift, but not so tightly the clothing is smushed together.

I take a garment bag, keep the clothes in the dry-cleaner bags, and this year I put tissue paper inside the clothes. I got that tip from the boards! None of my clothes were wrinkled. Now we didn't have to fly to get to the port so the bags didn't get thrown around as much!

We also use a garment bag - share one between the two of us. I keep it as a carry-on when we board the ship. That way I can get everything out of the bag ASAP and hang it out to remove any wrinkles. Either the sea air or steamy bathroom always does the trick!

Just as an aside, I have never used a garment bag but I bought one the other day on Home Shopping Network that unzips to reveal a garment bag, then zips up on the side to become a duffle as well. For the price, about $25 including shipping and handling, I figured it may become my new airplane carryon. Actually I bought 3, 1 each for my kids for Cmas as well. I figure I'll put my 2 silk shirts in the garment bag section and then add meds, cosmetics, toiletries to the duffle section. I've copied the website below if you want to take a peek.

http://home-solutions.hsn.com/buxton-combination-duffle-and-garment-bag_p-2239178_xp.aspx?web_id=2239178

We have luggage (21" and 25") with suiter sections (basically a built in garment bag) Though I don't tend to use it much--I'll just iron on the ship if something wrinkles, but usually hanging it in a steamy bathroom is fine. Hubby will use his suiter section for his tuxedo and hanging shirts.

Archived