Question about Tide to Go travel stick

ChefPeg

Has anyone ever noticed this?

I love the Tide to Go sticks. I have always travelled with it and I've been using it since it came out. I buy them in multi packs, DH is messy at times:o. I went to pack it for a long weekend coming up, I checked it to make sure it didn't dry out. I opened it up and I smelled something stinky. I mean a stinky smell.

Has anyone had a similiar problem or did I get a bad batch? Is there another brand that works as well?

I've had that. It kind of smells like...stink! I dont know how to describe it...heavy ammonia maybe? or maybe it smells like when a cat sprays..I dunno..

All of my pens have been good except for the one that I threw out. So maybe some do go bad.

I've had that. It kind of smells like...stink! I dont know how to describe it...heavy ammonia maybe? or maybe it smells like when a cat sprays..I dunno..

All of my pens have been good except for the one that I threw out. So maybe some do go bad.

Very interesting!! Yea, it's kind of hard to describe the stink. It's bad though. I tried it on a piece of clothing and the stench was on the clothes. You can't use it after you get the stink.

I can understand it going bad but to have that smell, yuck!

Very interesting!! Yea, it's kind of hard to describe the stink. It's bad though. I tried it on a piece of clothing and the stench was on the clothes. You can't use it after you get the stink.

I can understand it going bad but to have that smell, yuck!

Just dont get it on your hands! I washed mine about 6 times and the smell didn't come out!

Just dont get it on your hands! I washed mine about 6 times and the smell didn't come out!

Good point, I forgot to mention this. It doesn't come off easily.

Wonder what's in this stuff? It's not my usual Tide that's for sure.

I attributed the stink to all the food reminants mine have picked up over time:rolleyes:

Myabe there is something else to it...I still use mine though, I just dab it with water after to get rid of the smell.

I attributed the stink to all the food reminants mine have picked up over time:rolleyes:

Myabe there is something else to it...I still use mine though, I just dab it with water after to get rid of the smell.

I never thought of the obsorbing of the foods/stains over time. That makes sense. But then that would be a flaw with the product. I guess you can only use it for so long and then toss it.

My smell didn't go away after water, pee eww!!

Good thinking though, thanks!

This just occurred to me; what if the chemicals get tainted/or change when subjected to a lot of heat? I was thinking since I take it on a plane and it's in my checked bags, the heat would be high in the luggage compartment. I have no idea how it gets but it does get real hot, doesn't it?

Has anyone had this problem and not taken on board a plane? Just a thought.:D

I do not know about the Tide Pen but you brought up something I have been thinking about. Now since we can only carry aboard 3 oz. containers I will have to pack most of my toiletries in my checked baggage. I was wondering how this would affect them being in the luggage hold. Is the temp. in the luggage hold really hot or does it get really cold in some altitudes???

I do not know about the Tide Pen but you brought up something I have been thinking about. Now since we can only carry aboard 3 oz. containers I will have to pack most of my toiletries in my checked baggage. I was wondering how this would affect them being in the luggage hold. Is the temp. in the luggage hold really hot or does it get really cold in some altitudes???

That is something I have wondered about before. Like subjecting my good perfume to high temps or my lipstick softening.

I have no idea where to look for this information either.

Maybe someone who knows will let us know:) .

smells like baby puke... yuck! Shout wipes are much better.

LOL!!!

Okay, I'll go with that description, lol. It is nasty, isn't it? Have you tried another pen type product? Are there any other out there?

I'm going to Walmart tonight maybe I'll find another brand.

After encountering that awful Tide pen smell from two different ones, I won't use it anymore. First of all, I never found it to be very effective on stains. The Shout wipes in individual packets are much better and there was no problem with it leaving a ring. However, can't imagine how it might affect silk fabrics...water will even stain certain silk fabrics.

The last time I had to get a stain out of a garment quickly, I was dining in a restaurant...grabbed an ice cube from my water glass and rubbed it on the area discreetly...wiped it with my napkin and it was gone. One of my friends got a cigarette stain from the ash out of her skirt this way. It must have something to do with the coldness.

After reading this, had to get my pen and check it out....and yep, it does stink!!!!! It kind of smells like puke to me, so it prob does have something to do with the food it picks up. Somebody just told me that Oxyclean has one out but I didn't check for it yet. That one might not stink after a while because doesn't the oxy stuff also take out stinky smells like pet messes, etc?

I just bought one for our cruise. I've never used a Tide To Go pen before. I usually use the Shout wipes but wanted the convenience of the pen.

Now I wonder if mine stinks too! I'm going to go open it and find out. Hopefully if it doesn't reek it'll stay in working order until December! ;)

Everyone is giving me a chuckle with "puke smell". It really does smell like puke to me now. I thought it had a nasty pungent odor but now It is a pukey smell.

I won't buy it anymore, I went to the store last night and I forgot to look for another brand, darn it.

I'll check it out later.

Thanks for the laugh ladies.

When they are new, they don't smell so bad. But, use them up quickly!

I had one that I used for a trip and left it in my carry on. Probably 6 months later I took it to work with me, I get spilled on all the time there. When I went to use it, the smell was overwhelming. Ick, I'd rather have a food stain on my clothes than smell like that!

It actually worked very well, the 2 times I got to use it.

It actually worked very well, the 2 times I got to use it.

Now that's just ashame, lol. A person should be able to use it more than twice.

I think we will be seeing the new and aproved Tide to Go soon, I hope, lol.

I hate that commericial on TV where the army sergeant yells at the soldier. Like it dries that fast that you wouldn't see it for the next hour:rolleyes: .

I guess I use mine too quickly - I have never noticed a smell. After using it, I do wipe off the tip a few times on Kleenix until it looks white again. It came in handy on our last transatlantic cruise when I fell in Barcelona, cut up my face, and had a lot of blood all over my jacket and clothes. It removed all of the blood from everything.

AND

That is something I have wondered about before. Like subjecting my good perfume to high temps or my lipstick softening.

I have no idea where to look for this information either.

Maybe someone who knows will let us know:) .

What I was told years ago, when the people next to us were traveling with pets, is that it gets VERY cold in the cargo hold (but the pets are in a temperature controlled area). However, I always check everything since I'm too short to try and shove my luggage over my heads, and nothing ever has been frozen... even the year we were in South Dakota/Minnesota for Christmas and it never got over 0... when we got off the plane and collected our luggage.

-Sarah

I think the luggage hold actually gets very cold during a flight because of the altitude.

I guess I'm alone here, but I was disappointed in Tide To Go. It didn't remove the dirt, just rubbed it around.

Not too long ago I gave my Tide-to-go pen to a coworker to use on a stain and it smelled like yucky, bad, cheese!! (or puke, I'll go with that as well!) I threw it out and my other pen I keep in my purse still smells ok. Not sure what happens over time??? :confused:

Hi all,

I'm off to Walmart and I'm going to find another brand of travel stick. I'll see if it works as well as the Tide.

Sounds like for some ladies the Tide stick wasn't all that hot anyway. I didn't care for the Shout wipes, for me it didn't work as well as Tide.

Archived