shipboard announcements

bcohtofl

I was wondering if they make ship board announcements in the cabins during the cruise? I know on Celebrity the one thing I like is not hearing those all day long. I will be on the Westerdam Oct 28, 2007.

Thanks for the info.

On our Noordam cruise last year they were non-existant except for lifeboat drill. When the captain would come on to update us on our position or other things, that would not come into the cabin. We had to tune the TV or open the door to the hall to hear what he was saying. I thought it was great!

It does have to do a lot with the CD. I don't mind the announcements from the Bridge with the nautical info, weather conditions, etc. That is part of being at sea. However, I don't need to know that Bingo is starting in 10 minutes and where, that the Pool Olympics is this afternoon and all the other goings on. Thats what we have the Daily Program card for and I don't think there are many passengers who are illiterate. I think some CD's and Asst CDs try to pump their next activity as if everyone needs to know and wants to come. Not I.:) :D :) :D

Ahoy!

During a recent sojorn on the Prinsendam the only 'in cabin' announcements were for the fire drill on embarkation day, a fire emergency in the incinerator room one night and disembarkation announcements ("Group Red A, B and C can now disembark" ,etc.). Otherwise, the announcements were minimal and you needed to open your door or turn the TV on to hear the morning and afternoon CD announcements and port announcements (e.g. excursion departures, when to be back aboard, etc.). The Captain would come on daily at noon (outdoor and public room speakers and TV only) to announce the position of the ship, weather, antedotes, etc. followed by the CD announcing times for the bingo crowd, afternoon lecturer, evening show, etc.

In any event, HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

Depending on the ship, if you turn on your TV or radio - then you will hear the announcements in the cabin.

The only announcements we hear in the cabin is when there has been an emergency - like when the fire alarms go off and the captain comes to talk about what to do and what is happening. The captain has the authority to override all systems to get an emergency message to his passengers.

Took me three cruises before I realized that I didn't have to step into the hall to hear the announcements. :) In fact I didn't realize that there was a radio in the cabin.;) If it was the Captain, I turned on the radio. If it was the CD, I didn't.:D

Archived