Guaranteed Cabin

peribit

We booked a guaranteed G cabin on the Voyager X'mas sailing. The ship is sold out and I am concerned (after reading the posts about the vibration problems ) if they will assign one of the aft cabins to us.

Does anyone know when Regent will tell us about the cabin assignment and if we can reject the one that is assigned and get a different one?

I'm afraid that if you book a "guarantee" of a certain suite grade, you may be assigned that grade, or any higher, including the dreaded Horizon Suites on the Voyager. On our Sept. '04 Panama Canal cruise, we actually booked a category H guarantee. We were "upgraded(?)" to a category C (Horizon Suite). And that is the source of our problem.

When we again book the Voyager, we will book a SPECIFIC suite, which will be well forward of the laundry room location on the specific deck. This is because we observed that the location of the laundry rooms is approximatley where the shaking and vibration ends when walking from the stern.

As I have posted many times before, the problem of shaking and excessive vibration to the rear of this location depends on the speed of the ship, and other factors I cannot describe because I lack a nautical engineering degree! But I will say that you run a significant risk of shaking/excessive vibrations to the stern end of the laundry room locations.

If you end up in a suite to the stern of the laundry rooms, you may or may not have this problem. But, for us, we will never chance it. Not after what we experienced.

I am not sure if you booked through a travel agent or not, but if you have one that deals regularly with Regent there may be some juggling that is possible as normally there are more than one guarantee suites. That said, when it is a full ship on a holiday sailing there are generally very few late cancellations, so options may be few and far between...even for a knowledgeable TA.

I agree with Richard that unless a decent suite is not available in your category, going with a guarantee on certain ships (actually quite a few) can be risky.

We took the G "guarantee" because the ship is totally sold out. I booked the cruise through a travel agency and I don't know how much they work with Regent.

I am inclined to cancel the booking so that I don't chance getting the "vibrating" suite.:mad: Any other suggestions???

Unfortunatly a guarantee doesn't "guarantee" anything other than a cabin on the ship. On a sold out ship, I don't think you will have any choice but to take the cabin that you are assigned. Whether to cancel or not would be entirley up to you.

Although we have never had a Horizon Suite, we have attended 4 or 5 private parties in them on several different sailings while the Voyager was moving. We never experienced this vibration problem so I feel it really is an individual thing. We have friends who always purposely book the Horizon Suite on the Voyager. Before you run out and cancel etc. you may want to consider that it may not be so bad.

No offense intended for CC's always so helpful Richard....., it really is an individual like or distain.

Also agree with Eugene (Dreps), it would be helpful if you have a "Major Hitter" TA for Regent who may be able to switch you around so there's nothing left to chance.

Thanks for the tips. My questions are :

1. We have already booked with a travel agent, should we cancel this one and rebook with another TA?

2. How can I find a "major hiter" TA for Regent?

Since the ship is sold out, your cabin will likely be assigned from a cancellation perhaps even at the time of final payment. This might increase your chance of getting an upgrade or other desirable cabin since the "duds" are also sold out.

Cheers.

JoAnne B

Thanks JoAnne for the encouraging thought. I wonder if the better cabins would go to someone who is booked in the Aft cabins but on the waiting list for more mid-ship ones before they would assign them to people on the "guarantee" cabins??

Some people actually like the aft suites. My husband and I would take that upgrade in a heartbeat. We are not bothered by the vibration but do not want to spend the extra money for one of those suites. Different strokes for different folks....I will be happily be into one of those "less desired by many" suites!

Cheers, Pam

Thanks for the tips. My questions are :

1. We have already booked with a travel agent, should we cancel this one and rebook with another TA?

2. How can I find a "major hiter" TA for Regent?

1. I would not cancel your booking as there is a sort of formula wherein the older bookings may tend to be looked at for the better available suites.

2. There are "major hitters", but I would be concerned about a TA that would take another agent's booking when the original TA didn't do anything inappropriate. Integrity in how one does her/his work is something most find to be important.

Thanks Eric. I think it makes sense about what you said regarding the TA's integrity.

I am wondering if Regent would assign the "guarantee" according to the "seniority"(number of days on Regent). If so, then I am at the end of the line as I have never sailed with Regent before.

Iamboatman is correct. I would certainly question the integrity of a TA that would take another client away when the original TA did nothing wrong. When I mentioned usiing a "major hitter" I was referring to those who haven't booked or in your case, future bookings. I apologize if I was misleading.

I'm not sure about seniority?? Interesting question though.

Hi Kimiata,

I am just concerned about the vibration. The rattling noise will definitely bother my DH.

By the way, do you remember how long before sailing did you find out your cabin assignment? My TA told me that I will find out 30 days prior to sailing. Is this about right??

Me and my wife are booked on Mariner cruise March 4, we have already been assigned cabin. I think that the vibration problems discussed here are very individual. I happen to be a marine engineer and have worked at sea for 25 years. Including on cruise ships. I understand that my job discualifies me as I am used to it, but I would not worry about vibrations.

Zigge, I am in the maritime business as well, representing interests in the superyacht and cruise industries for over a quarter of a century. Trust me (famous words) the vibrations spoken of here are not normal maritime vibration issues. You need to experience them to appreciate the severity.

BTW, the Mariner is a wonderful ship and does not have any of the severe vibration issues.

We are considering the Dec 21, 2007 cruise on the Mariner. The itinerary is similar to the one on the Voyager, but there are still lots of suites available. :)

After reading these threads about the vibration on the Voyager, I don't know if we want to take the chance with a "guarantee".

Archived