C-Pap Machine and Distilled Water

werchy

We are going on the Monarch out of LA next monday. My 11 year old daughter uses a breathing machine (CPAP) at night that requires filling it with distilled water each night. We are flying into LAX and will not be able to carry a gallon of distilled water with us on the plane. Does anyone know if Distilled water is available on the MOS?

Thanks! Melissa

Thanks for all the information. I just sent them an email and am waiting for a reply. Thanks again!

Melissa

You will pretty much get an automated reply saying that they are taking care of it. You will be fine.

Three thoughts on CPAP machines

1) I am assuming you will have the machine in your airplane carryon luggage. If so be prepared to be pulled out of line for a special search on the TSA security line so make sure the machine is easily reachable.

2) I have been using a CPAP since 1996 and have never used a humidifier, just the air pump. In an emergency if distilled water is not available can the reservoir be detached?

3) If you definitely need the humidifier, consider buying some distilled water in LA before you board, just an extra precaution. Go the the West Coast boards here for specific help on locations to purchase distilled water.

The fact is that I never bother with distilled water for my humidifier on the ship. The process of using the heated humidifier automatically ensures that the water in the air you breathe is essentially distilled anyhow. The only reason for using distilled water is to prevent accumulation of scale in the humidifier chamber. In a 7 day cruise, very little will accumulate anyhow, and if it does, just swish the chamber with vinegar when you get home and it comes right out.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I agree. The distilled water is mostly to compensate for the fact that most people will tend to just keep refilling the tank without opening it up and cleaning it. Even at home I use tap water. Since I need to fill it every other day, I just open it and clean the tank before I fill it.

my humidifier is a separate unit and can be detached. Also, if you turn the heater off, there is no reason you can't use it with no water at all.

Something I have read but never needed to try: if the TSA want to open your bag and inspect your machine, you have the right to ask that they put on fresh gloves, since it is a medical breathing device.

DH's is large enough that it has a special carrying case and can be checked through as luggage. We've learned to always pack an extension cord in the case. On our first cruise, RCI was out of extension cords before we realized that it was going to be a stretch for the device's cord. (Fortunately, it just made it - I would have hated to sleep out on the balcony on my honeymoon. No CPAP for DH = incredibly high volume snoring!) He also uses his without any water.

DH's is large enough that it has a special carrying case and can be checked through as luggage. We've learned to always pack an extension cord in the case. On our first cruise, RCI was out of extension cords before we realized that it was going to be a stretch for the device's cord. (Fortunately, it just made it - I would have hated to sleep out on the balcony on my honeymoon. No CPAP for DH = incredibly high volume snoring!) He also uses his without any water.

My husband just recently started the CPAP. I was concerned about him getting it ontime for the cruise. We have no balcony. I would not have been pretty. I've always wondered if there was a snoring contest, would be interesting.

I have traveled & cruised with my CPAP machine on RCI. Every ship has always been very accomodating. Everything has always been waiting for me in my cabin when I arrived. I found it easier to call the Special Needs Dept. & make my requests. I have also needed a refrigerator for insulin medicine & a sharps container for needles. As for the CPAP, yes they can get you a gallon of distilled water & an extension cord. I usually bring a small outlet splitter because the CPAP w/ humidifier has 2 plugs. In some cabins, the outlet is not right by the bed, or possibly your daughter will be sleepin up in a pullman bunk. In either case, you will want to ask to arrange to have the extension cord duct taped up along the wall or the carpet so it is not a trip hazard, especially in the middle of the night. I think the ship's engineer or maintenance department handles that. Enjoy your cruise.

You really shouldn't check the CPAP machine, carry it on as it doesn't count towards your carry on limit as it is a medical device. I would never entrust it to baggage handlers. There are times I witnessed them literally throwing the bags into the hold.

1) I am assuming you will have the machine in your airplane carryon luggage. If so be prepared to be pulled out of line for a special search on the TSA security line so make sure the machine is easily reachable.

My DH's boss just told us that there is a different line we can go through at the airport for people with CPAP's or medical things. He never waits in line because he goes to this "special" line with his CPAP. Does anyone else know about this?

My DH's boss just told us that there is a different line we can go through at the airport for people with CPAP's or medical things. He never waits in line because he goes to this "special" line with his CPAP. Does anyone else know about this?

Never heard of a special line. We just go right thru the regular security line, yes they always do holler "bag check" and check and swab the cpap. Only takes a couple of minutes. Have no idea what line your boss is talking about. But would like to know.

Annieeee

You really shouldn't check the CPAP machine, carry it on as it doesn't count towards your carry on limit as it is a medical device. I would never entrust it to baggage handlers. There are times I witnessed them literally throwing the bags into the hold.

I would agree - however, DH is not the type who likes to hassle with anything! The container is padded and I guess we've been lucky so far. I am always afraid he's going to forget to pick it up at the baggage claim and there will be no sleep for me on the trip. :(

Archived