Hospital Birth Certificate

theking13

We're scheduled to go on a cruise this weekend. This will be our 3rd one in the past 2 years. We've gone on 2 with Carnival and now Royal Car.

My wife has her original hospital birth certificate. We've not had any issues with using that with our other cruises. When looking at the book for this one it states that a hospital birth certificate is not good enough, even though it's the original. The wording can go both ways, it states a valid gov. id and a original birth certificate, which is what she has. but then states a hospital one will not work, but it's in a section about copies. This would not be a copy, it's the original.

She has our marriage license and we've brought that along as well. Can anyone provide any suggestions or help? We only have 2 days to go. Thanks

They used to accept a vote's registration card as that proved you were a citizen. Don't think they accept them any more but you might want to take it anyway. They want a raised seal which hospital birth certificates may not have. If you live close to where she was born, go the the county offices and you can get an official birth certificate. For your next cruise you will need a passport and to get one you MUST include a birth certificate - which they return to you. Good Luck!

You may be in big trouble to get a certified copy (that is what they call an original). Depending on what state you live in, it may or may not be easy to get. Example, in Missouri you can go to any health department and get a certified copy for 15.00. I was born in Kansas even though I live in Missouri now. I would have to go to Topeka, KS to get my birth certificate. You'd better get that done today or you will not make your cruise this weekend!:eek:

Even though your DW's Hospital BC was acceptable for Carnival, there's no guarantee that it will be acceptable to RCCI. Obviously, the USA government sets up the actual "rules" re BC, passports, ID's, etc. However, each cruiseline might interpret these official rules in different ways. I'd call RCCI this AM and get their opinion- and make sure you document well- with the names of everyone with whom you speak, the time, a brief summary of what they said, etc. And let them know you're documenting this- if they aren't certain of their facts, they'll be more willing to transfer you to someone who will know. (As opposed to just trying to give you any answer to get you off the line.)

Also, if your DW was born in a nearby town, she should consider going to that town's local government office today to see if she can get a state-issued BC while she waits.

I don't know for a fact that they will not accept your DW' s hospital BC. I could not use mine, but mine is handwritten (rather than typed) as was my state issued BC (obviously, I'm old- born well before computers!)

Good luck!

We live in Florida and she was born in Minnesota so this wouldn't be an option. We called them last night, but they asked for us to call the "main man" today. I can't imagine them turning people away, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I was thinking they would make us go through imigration as we've had to show them the same document to get back to the US. and that worked.

I used my hospital birth certificate for years because that was all I had. Even the military took it when I had to apply for security clearances. I never had a problem. Until 9/11. When I went to get a passport, nada. Must have an actual certified birth certificate issued by the state/county/city.

People have been turned away at the dock for not having proper papers. I would not want to take that chance. At best, even using an expediting service, it will take at least a week to get a certified copy.

I sincerely wish you luck and hope you can make your cruise.

Cheers,

I was told by my TA and RCI (before I got my passport) that my birth certificate had to be state-issued, and certified with the raised seal. They did check them carefully.

Now that's not to say someone can't slip by. That was just my experience.

We saw people turned away on Rhapsody in April because they didn't have a certified birth certificate. There was a group of 7 and one of them didn't have one, it was a hospital certificate. First there was anger and then tears. They all left the terminal because they wouldn't cruise without her. How sad

Not all state-issued certified birth certificates have a raised seal. But a hospital certificate is a certificate of birth, and is not official (I work in a hospital). It's usually not too hard to get a certified birth certificate if you live in or near the county where you were born. Many state department health agencies even have on-line ordering available, and are usually around $10 or so.

I have also seen passengers denied boarding because they didn't have the right documentation. Once, it was an elderly couple on their first cruise and one had the birth certificate and one had both her hospital certificate and her baptismal certificate. They would not allow her to board, so they both left, losing all their money as they didn't have insurance. In all cruise documents it plainly states that hospital records are not allowed as proof of anything. And since you're leaving this weekend, you might have a major problem as you're not going to get anything from Minnesota in time.

BTW, the hospital certificate isn't legal. It HAS to be one issued by a government agency and not a hospital. You need one from your county or state of birth.

We're scheduled to go on a cruise this weekend. This will be our 3rd one in the past 2 years. We've gone on 2 with Carnival and now Royal Car.

My wife has her original hospital birth certificate. We've not had any issues with using that with our other cruises. When looking at the book for this one it states that a hospital birth certificate is not good enough, even though it's the original. The wording can go both ways, it states a valid gov. id and a original birth certificate, which is what she has. but then states a hospital one will not work, but it's in a section about copies. This would not be a copy, it's the original.

She has our marriage license and we've brought that along as well. Can anyone provide any suggestions or help? We only have 2 days to go. Thanks

I sincerely hope they let her board.

What people here have been saying is true for me, as well. On our first cruise with NCL, my hospital issued BC worked just fine going through Canadian Customs and also to board the ship. Cut to a few years later when we went to get our passports - they wouldn't accept the hospital BC. I had to apply for a "certified" copy of my birth certificate.

Please let us know how it comes out.

Linda

I was told by my TA and RCI (before I got my passport) that my birth certificate had to be state-issued, and certified with the raised seal. They did check them carefully.

Now that's not to say someone can't slip by. That was just my experience.

That is completely true. I don't care who has been lucky enough to get away with it in the past, I would be scared to death to try it. I don't know what else to say. One time we had to get our son's original from Calif. They were able to fax it to us in less than a day.

good luck OP.

Nita

In Minnesota there are numerous satellite offices to get your certified birth certificate. You can get one in about 15 minutes. I know because I did it for my sister in march.

Bemidji, Northwestern District

705 - 5th Street NW, Suite A

Bemidji, MN 56601-2933

218-755-6300

Directions to Bemidji office

Duluth, Northeastern District

Government Service Center, Room 703

320 West 2nd Street

Duluth, MN 55802

218-723-4642

Directions to Duluth office

Fergus Falls, West Central District

1505 Pebble Lake Road, Suite 300

Fergus Falls, MN 56537-3858

218-332-5150

Directions to Fergus Falls office

Mankato, South Central District

Nichols Office Center

410 Jackson Street, Suite 500

Mankato, MN 56001

507-389-2501

Directions to Mankato office

Marshall, Southwestern District

1400 East Lyon Street

Marshall, MN 56258

507-537-7151

Directions to Marshall office

Rochester, Southeastern District

18 Wood Lake Drive Southeast

Rochester, MN 55904

507-285-7289

Directions to Rochester office

St. Cloud, Central District

Minnesota Department of Health

Midtown Square

3333 West Division Street, Suite 212

320-223-7300

Directions to St. Cloud office

Also check with your nearest city courthouse to see if you can get one there. The main Dept of Health no longer allows picking up the birth certificate there. It can only be done at a branch office.

Interesting post.

My wife just recently got her passport with only a hospital BC (that's all she's ever had, used it for everything). I was quite concerned that she may be rejected, but she got it.

I wouldn't think cruise lines would be more anal than the State Dept. but I guess you never know. I like to play things safe, so if at all possible I'd get an official copy. Sure would be a bummer to be denied boarding for lack of a piece of paper.:(

Good luck,

JHC

My last cruise a year ago I had to get a birth certificate from the department of health with a " raised seal ". I was not allowed to use my original.

Your Certificate of Birth from the hospital is not considered a legal document. Even for children to start school you have to get the legal State Birth Certificate, hospital certificates are not accepted. They are more of just a memorabilia, rather than a legal document. I'm surprised they were accepted by the cruise line at any time.

I don't quite get why everyone balks so at getting a passport. For my first trip to England when I found I needed a passport, I was excited to get one, as it meant I could travel the World. Now folks are complaining that they need one to go to the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada. They are all foreign countries, and the requirement to have a passport should always have been there. JMHO

I have also seen passengers denied boarding because they didn't have the right documentation. Once, it was an elderly couple on their first cruise and one had the birth certificate and one had both her hospital certificate and her baptismal certificate. They would not allow her to board, so they both left, losing all their money as they didn't have insurance.

Even with insurance, it is likely this couple would have lost all their money. I doubt coverage extends to situations where pax fail to get and produce proper documentation.

Hi,

there is a tread that was very active last week, it is among other things about a denied boarding because the person had only a hospital birth certificate. Perhaps you might want to look at that thread.

Here is the link"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=598257

Wes

We live in Florida and she was born in Minnesota so this wouldn't be an option. We called them last night, but they asked for us to call the "main man" today. I can't imagine them turning people away, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I was thinking they would make us go through imigration as we've had to show them the same document to get back to the US. and that worked.

Yes, imagine that they will turn you away. They don't care.

I'd get the official copy and not risk it. But that's just me.

Yes, imagine that they will turn you away. They don't care.

I'm not entirely certain that they don't care. The cruiseline personnel are charged with enforcing the policies laid out by the Feds and, yes, it's a dirty job to turn people away at the pier, but ... don't all the cruiseline brochures and docs describe clearly what docs are required to not be turned away at embarkation?

I'm amazed that she was allowed to board the ship w/only a hospital b/c. That is not a legal document. This was a slip by someone at registration before the cruise.

It clearly states in all cruise info that the b/c must be a state-issued certified copy. (Raised seal doesn't apply anymore, as most states are now using state watermark paper.)

I hope y'all get on the ship tomorrow, but I would tend to doubt it. She's been 'lucky' before, but.....and it's 'way too late at this point in time to get an official document.

I, too, have seen folks turned away for having the improper IDs. Last one I saw was a couple leaving - the wife in sobbing tears, and a very angry husband. They lost ALL their cruise money! Sad.

Please come back and let us know if, by some miracle, you made it on the cruise.

Interesting post.

My wife just recently got her passport with only a hospital BC (that's all she's ever had, used it for everything). I was quite concerned that she may be rejected, but she got it.

I wouldn't think cruise lines would be more anal than the State Dept. but I guess you never know. I like to play things safe, so if at all possible I'd get an official copy. Sure would be a bummer to be denied boarding for lack of a piece of paper.:(

Good luck,

JHC

Sorry to go off topic for a second, but HEY JHC!! Did you ever get to read my response to WHY i disappeared suddenly from the site for over a week back in early June? I also talked about my trip to France and Italy! I think that thread got poofed beause the OP was asking about why their thread disappeared!:)

To the OP, i hope y'all get to cruise!! Get a passport, ASAP!! Good luck!!

Archived