Help! My DD has never taken a shower...

obx_fintoo

She's 3 1/2. It just struck me the other night that there would be no tub in our cabin. I've tried to get her to take one at home and she's really not interested. What have you done to keep your children clean on the cruise?

TIA!

My son always got plopped in the shower whether he liked it or not, if that was all that was available, or just how I felt like washing him that night. Just tell her it's part of the fun of cruising, she'll be fine.

Most cabins have shower handles that are handheld-- let DD sit on the floor and let it rain on her.

Or take a blow up pool (baby bath tub)(small one to sit on the shower floor

She's 3 1/2. It just struck me the other night that there would be no tub in our cabin. I've tried to get her to take one at home and she's really not interested. What have you done to keep your children clean on the cruise?

TIA!

Can't let the inmates run the prison. Teach her how much fun showers are before you go

Most cabins have shower handles that are handheld-- let DD sit on the floor and let it rain on her.

Or take a blow up pool (baby bath tub)(small one to sit on the shower floor

The handle is a good idea!

Thanks for all the responses!

For her it's really just a matter of being afraid of water in her face. Used to be really hard to wash her hair!:rolleyes:

When we learned that there wouldn't be a tub on our first family cruise, I started taking DD (who was 2 at the time) into the shower WITH me so she'd start to get the feel for it. Of course, the Upsell fairy called and we ended up with a Penthouse suite that had a tub. But, still, to this day (she's 4 1/2 now), she loves to take a shower.

You could let her wear her bathing suit in the shower and aim the water so she can sit (or stand) to the back of the shower and not get wet. Let her do the wetting. I also think putting her in the shower with you would be helpful. Just watch her close (not that you wouldnt) because even a tiny amt of water will get her gagging.

Our grandson was 22 mos old when he went on his 1st cruise. We just put him in the shower with one of us and used the handheld nozzle. That way it was not in his face.

Now your DD will be a bit more of a challenge because she will have long hair to wash. Try and get her used to washing her hair in your shower at home even if you have to get in the shower with her a few times. But on the ship if you get in with her and make her turn her back, you will be able to wash her hair.

Oh, how I love the memories of our grandson when he was so young on the cruise ship. Have fun on your cruise.

My kids were afraid of shower in places other than our showers at home. So no showering in hotel rooms, cruise ships, etc....

.....but they do need to be showered, so what we do is to turn on the shower to the right temperature, with my husband or another adult standing by with a towel open, I get in the shower with my child in my arms and just rinse, soap the necessary areas, rinse, then out. It usually takes less than 30 seconds and your neighbor may think you are murdering your child (because of all the kid's screaming!). If the 3.5YO is too heavy to hold in the shower (too slippery), just bribe her with her favorite snack and have her stand in the shower stall with you.

Princess ships do not have a removable shower head, but Infinity (Celebrity) has a removable shower head which is nicer. The child can hold the shower head while you put soap on her. So not all cruiselines have removable/handheld shower heads.

Other than practicing showering at home, I can't think of anything else you can do. You can put a towel over her face and have her tip her head backwards so you can rinse the soap off her hair. Or you can just forgo soap for 7-days so no rinsing is necessary.

TIA!

I have a 3.5 yo too. I bought a flat, plastic drain cover at the hardware store. I plan to make a shallow tub in the shower. He can bathe in a few inches of water. If there's no lip on the shower floor, we'll just shower him, but I really don't want to interrupt/bother our next door neighbors like that. :D

We have a mountain house that has no bath tub and I have had 2 babies since we bought it. I bought a small blow up bath from babies r us and I just put that on the floor of the shower and fill it up. For hair, I just get it wet (by either dunking them back or with cups of fresh, warm water from the sink) I wash, and then I rinse with cups of clean water from the sink. They LOVE being in the blow up tub. I think they think it is a pool! It'll all work out :)

You can bring an inflatable bathtub and stick it in the shower.

OR, just take a shower WITH her at home and bring in some new fun things for her to keep her attention on (like bath paints) So if she is used to getting in the shower at home, she'll be fine on the cruise.

I have a 3.5 year old and a shower isn't her favorite thing but it's a necessary evil. ;)

The showers on Carnival ships have adjustable shower head heights, and the lowest setting is probably just a little higher than she is tall. For my daugther, who was 25 months old on our first cruise and is now 4.5, I lower the shower head all the way, then turn it on to a really gentle pressure. That way she doesn't feel like she's standing under a huge waterfall, and she's much less intimidated by the experience. HTH, and have a great cruise!

We will be taking our kids on their 1st cruise next summer. I never had this experience with them on a cruise, but I did when we were camping! My DD, now 5, HATED getting her face wet whether it was swimming, washing her hair in the tub or taking a shower. We go camping quite a bit either tenting or in camping cabins when we are on road trips, so we had to use showers! No tubs at camp grounds! This is the first year she is okay with showers. Otherwise, I was in the shower with her holding her as she screamed :-) But she got clean! At least in your cabin you can have someone else grab her from you...I had to wash her, then quickly wash my own hair...while she was still screaming!

I'm in the same situation as the OP ~ my DD 4 does not like showers either. Since I have a 1 year old as well who is not used to showers at all, I am just planning on bringing a little blow up pool/tub with us. Problem solved and everyone will be happy, including our next door neighbours;)

Archived