Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip

kellanrevere

Frankly, having done this tour, It is not recommended by me. You get only a brief distant view of Mendenhall, rest of trip is trees and backyards. It is not white water, and you get occasional sprays. In my opinion, money is far better spent elsewhere. The canoe trip gets you far closer to Mendenhall and you have the views the entire trip. The Taiya River float is far superior out of Skagway.

=kellanrevere;11089166][/size]It says you can get wet on this excursion...

Has anyone done it and how wet did you get ? :eek:

Thanks

Our family has done this excursion. We were given rain gear to wear, so our own clothes didn't get wet at all! :) You get a little wet, but no really much. The rapids are mild, but you do get to go through a few--I grew up on the Rogue River in southern Oregon, so the Mendenhall was a cake walk in comparison. We had a great time and saw several bald eagles on the trip. I was chatting with one of my coworkers recently and we were comparing notes when we realized we both love to cruise. His family has also been on this excursion and they loved it! He's a freelance travel writer, and here's the link to his cruise review (in which he talks about this excursion): http://www.ocfamily.com/archives/ocfamily_2005/ocfamily0105/travel_0105.

Cheers!

Jayne

Take the Mendenhall Lake canoe trip instead. This is the most underrated tour in Juneau in my opinion. It, honestly, is a lot of work paddling that canoe to the Glacier, but the feeling of satisfaction you get when you round that corner, see the Mendenhall Glacier for the first time, and then paddle to within 400-500 feet of the face is almost unmatched and so worth the work. We loved this tour. The float trip and the sea kayaks go away from the glacier, but the canoe trip goes right up to it!!! It was awesome! I will e-mail pictures if anyone would like to see.

• 2 weeks later...
Take the Mendenhall Lake canoe trip instead. This is the most underrated tour in Juneau in my opinion. It, honestly, is a lot of work paddling that canoe to the Glacier, but the feeling of satisfaction you get when you round that corner, see the Mendenhall Glacier for the first time, and then paddle to within 400-500 feet of the face is almost unmatched and so worth the work. We loved this tour. The float trip and the sea kayaks go away from the glacier, but the canoe trip goes right up to it!!! It was awesome! I will e-mail pictures if anyone would like to see.

Do you have a contact number for this canoe trip?

Archived