Denali Questions

ladysheri

Just back from Alaska a couple of weeks ago and already planning our next trip. :D Next year will be our 4th trip to Alaska and I am planning on spending our land time at Denali. Many of the itineraries I see on this board are only a couple of days at Denali in addition to time spent elsewhere so I have not been able to determine a longer itinerary. Since we realized on our first trip to Alaska that more trips were necessary, we have been concentrating on one area each trip. So, I have been thinking that I would like to spend 4 or 5 days at Denali, exploring.

My questions: Anyone have comments, suggestions, thoughts on 4-5 days at Denali and potential itinerary/things to do. Will mid to late August be too late to do certain activities? Will some things be closed? I have already begun to look at places to stay...how near/far to the Park should I try to get? I don't feel a need to be real close, but don't want to spend too much time driving each day.

Thanks for all info/opinions/etc.

Sheri

You are going in a great timeframe!! Everything still in full swing. Bugs most likely will not be a problem at Wonder Lake. I suggest a couple of options- consider spending some money and stay out at Kantishna a couple days. Plenty of hiking options and lodges have activites. Otherwise consider a three day pass- buy 2 days get third free, shuttle to Wonder Lake.

Listings of stuff to do- http://www.nps.gov/dena

If you stay outside of Denali Park, Healy is a great option and away from the congested "glitter gulch" of the tour buses. :)

I also definitely encourage you to spend time in Kantishna. Skyline Lodge is the most economical and you can bring your own food or eat with the staff. Nice thing about this option - you take the camper bus to Kantishna ($25 this year) and it is good for the entire length of your stay. I met people on my trip last month who stayed at another lodge in Kantishna and were VERY disappointed - as were many others staying there. When you stay at the other lodges, you are on their time schedule not yours. That mean you are back to eat when they eat. That means if they go to Wonder Lake for 10 minutes, that is all the time you spend there. Very unfortunate.

With Skyline Lodge, you stay there in nice but basic lodging (shared bathroom). You can take the shuttle/camper buses to look for wildlife or to get to a good hiking spot. I always stay at Wonder Lake when I go. You also get a much greater chance of seeing Mt. McKinley when you stay out there - it often appears late at night or early in the morning before or after the shuttle buses are running.

If you have any questions feel free to post.

Note - for Skyline Lodge book as soon as you know dates.

John

Budget Queen & fti...thanks for the info. I am very glad to hear that our timeframe is workable at Denali. I am intrigued with Skyline Lodge; just not sure about the shared bathrooms. Denali Backcountry Lodge looks promising as well...but definitely spendy. We have not yet decided that we will do both land and cruise on this trip; perhaps if we only do a land tour, the Backcountry Lodge would be a great way to go.

My plan had been to stay all 4 nights at the same locale/use it as a base for exploring. Would this be your recommendation? Or would there be any point to spending a couple of nights within the park and a couple of nights elsewhere? That doesn't seem to make sense to me, but I know in Mt. Rainier National Park here in Washington, there are distinct areas of the park and it can make sense to stay in more than one spot.

Thanks so much for your help.

Sheri

Budget Queen & fti...thanks for the info. I am very glad to hear that our timeframe is workable at Denali. I am intrigued with Skyline Lodge; just not sure about the shared bathrooms. Denali Backcountry Lodge looks promising as well...but definitely spendy. We have not yet decided that we will do both land and cruise on this trip; perhaps if we only do a land tour, the Backcountry Lodge would be a great way to go.

Sheri

[nod] Yep, that was my main reason for choosing Denali Backcountry Lodge, in spite of the priciness. I wasn't too interested in lugging in and preparing my own food, and I wasn't interested in sharing bathing accommodations.

We'll be there for 2 days and 2 nights in just a few weeks - I'll let you know how we fared.

Linda

Allow me to add my opinion that you should stay inside the park rather than at the entrance. DW just got back from a few days at the North Face Lodge. She has also stayed at Kantishna Lodge. She told me that Kantishna has a few advantages (full dinner on the day you arrive, rather than North Face's dessert only; a larger gift shop; slightly better food). However, North Face has better and more experienced guides and is the ONLY lodge that has the right to take you back into parts of Denali each day. This allowed the DW to photograph bears and even one of the elusive Denali wolves. The view of Denali, if she is out, from North Face is amazing.

If you feel North Face is too expensive and are willing to rough it a little more, you can stay at Camp Denali. Same owners, same rights to go back into Denali, just somewhat more rustic.

My plan had been to stay all 4 nights at the same locale/use it as a base for exploring. Would this be your recommendation? Or would there be any point to spending a couple of nights within the park and a couple of nights elsewhere?

Sheri

Have you toured interior Alaska before?? 4 nights may be a lot of time at Denali park, if you aren't into the activities there, to fill the time. Overall, "day trips" are a limited option in Alaska since distances are so vast.

IF you are looking at considering other areas- Talkeetna, Fairbanks, Seward etc. then split up your time. If your interest is hiking, spending several trips on the Park Road, ranger programs etc, then go with that choice.

Totally my opinion only, but having lived in and toured Europe extensively (where there are many lodging options with a shared bath), many Americans miss out on lodging gems all over by requiring a bathroom in their room. I understand that many people like that, and on one hand I am glad - leaves those "gems" for people like me!

Have you toured interior Alaska before?? 4 nights may be a lot of time at Denali park, if you aren't into the activities there, to fill the time. Overall, "day trips" are a limited option in Alaska since distances are so vast.

We have done some interior touring...Anchorage area and Kenai for 2 days in '06. That was when I realized that I would prefer to do different areas in Alaska for a longer period of time--even if it meant more trips. If I could take 3 months off one summer, that would be ideal. Unfortunately, my employer has a different opinion. :D

In addition, friends and family that have visited Denali, as well as many of the reviews on this board, recommend more than a couple of days at Denali. I would like to get the chance to feel like part of the country (if that makes any sense) rather than just a 2-day visitor. 4 days to me seemed like a way to do that. It would give us time to do some hiking, picture taking, flora and fauna viewing, as well as some activities....which I am only now realizing the breadth available. I am also trying to prepare myself for the eventuality that I will only be getting a taste for Denali and may feel the need to revisit it.

Totally my opinion only, but having lived in and toured Europe extensively (where there are many lodging options with a shared bath), many Americans miss out on lodging gems all over by requiring a bathroom in their room. I understand that many people like that, and on one hand I am glad - leaves those "gems" for people like me!

I so agree and ...I am more concerned about DH than myself. He travels a lot for business and stays in 5-star hotels generally. Might be a bit of a shock to his system. :eek: On the other hand, it seems like a very real way to experience Denali. And as long as it is clean, we are usually ok. We are going to definitely consider it.

Linda...would sure love to have your input on Denali Backcountry Lodge when you return.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input. I ordered the AlaskaDenaliTours brochure the other day and it arrived today, providing more info and options. Not sure why turning the pages in a brochure can make a place seem more real than looking at the same info/pictures on the Internet. I am definitely thrilled that we decided to plan this trip now for next year, rather than waiting until March or April like we often do.

I'm sure you're right that maybe we miss some gems but sometimes sharing a bath just isn't practical. Two ladies traveling together can share a bathroom easily but add that to whoever else is staying at the lodge at the same time.....and mornings would be a problem.

Archived