Signature dishes in Anytime dining

mindyme

You may be confused. Anytime Dining is the restaurant that is exactly the same as traditional only without a set dining time. I think you might be asking about the dining rooms like Sterlings where you pay to eat. And in that case, it will not be the same meals that the non-paying folks will be having.

On Sapphire and Diamond Princess, the two Anytime dining rooms have been further subdivided into "specialty" dining rooms, each having a theme that is carried out in the waiter's uniforms, the decor of the room, and a special "signature" dish on each menu. There is the Pacific Moon (Asian), the Santa Fe (Southwestern) and an Italian one and one more which used to be Sterlings but is now an English Pub, I think.

It is fun to visit each of the rooms and try their "signature" dishes in the proper atmosphere. But basically, they all serve that night's regular dining room menu plus their one dish. The little known secret is that you can order any of the signature dishes in any restaurant, and even in the main dining room if you ask specially.

We really enjoyed this "special" style of anytime dining.

Now, can someone post the current list of "signature" dishes for each room for us?

Signature Dishes are exclusive to the Diamond and Sapphire, one dish each in the four Anytime dining rooms. And yes, if you ask, you can get that dish in any room.

Thanks for the info. We are on the Saphire Traditional dining.

When we were on the Diamond last Setember the Sante Fe had Fajita's, Pacific moon had a shrimp/seafood noodle stirfry, Vivaldi's had Osso bucco and the steakhouse had pork chops as their signature dishes.

Not sure if they have changed since then, the Osso Busso was very good.

The dishes you mention sound like the ones that were specialties on the Diamond last April also. All good!

The dishes you mention sound like the ones that were specialties on the Diamond last April also. All good!

I'm sure they don't change them very often.

The best was when each rest had a different menu but it was causing pandimonium with the anytime dining so I understand why they had to put a stop to that:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

We sailed on the Sapphire several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the specialty menus they used in the "anytime" dining rooms at the time. If I remember correctly, they offered a couple of themed appetizers, 2 or 3 themed entrees, as well as a special dessert or two in each of the four anytime restaurants. I know we ordered a guacamole appetizer, steak fajitas, and both flan and tres leche cake for dessert in the Santa Fe dining room one night. This was offered in addition to the menu that was being served in the "traditional" dining room.

We're sailing on the Diamond next month. Do I understand correctly that they have abandoned the specialty menus and now offer only one special entree in addition to the traditional menu?

I do have to say I'm glad they changed the name of the Sterling dining room to Savoy. It was very confusing to passengers who had previously dined on other ships with Sterling Steakhouse specialty restaurants. I remember standing at the menu posted outside the dining room listening to the passengers complain that it wasn't what they were expecting.

The Princess website now mentiaons a specialty Sterling Steakhouse restaurant on the Diamond (in addition to the Savoy dining room). I've looked at the deck plans, but I don't see where it is located. Has anyone eaten there? Is it the same as the Sterling Steakhouses on the other ships in the fleet?

I know we ordered a guacamole appetizer, steak fajitas, and both flan and tres leche cake for dessert in the Santa Fe dining room one night.

The Princess website now mentiaons a specialty Sterling Steakhouse restaurant on the Diamond (in addition to the Savoy dining room). I've looked at the deck plans, but I don't see where it is located. Has anyone eaten there? Is it the same as the Sterling Steakhouses on the other ships in the fleet?

They now only offer the one specialty dish in each DR but in Sante fe you can still get the guac along with the specialty dish which is the fajita's.

They use a section of the Horizon court as the Sterling Steakhouse in the evenings.

They now only offer the one specialty dish in each DR but in Sante fe you can still get the guac along with the specialty dish which is the fajita's.

They use a section of the Horizon court as the Sterling Steakhouse in the evenings.

Thanks for the info. After I posted I found a thread regarding the Sterling on the Diamond (and the Sapphire too, I imagine). I read from several posters on that thread that the food and atmosphere in the Sterling on the Diamond were "spotty". I'd imagine that if it is located in the HC there is probably quite a bit of foot traffic through the restaurant during dinner. I'm not sure I'm interested in paying extra for a dining experience that may not be up to par with the anytime or traditional dining rooms.

• 5 months later...

We sailed on the Diamond in September(after my last post), and made a point of eating in the Sterling Steakhouse one evening. I have to say, we were impressed with both the food and the service. The steakhouse is located in one of the rear corners of the Horizon Court area and they've enclosed it to the point where it feels very private... no foot traffic going through the dining room as I thought might be the case. I'd recommend it.

I was on the Diamond in Feb last year (2007) traditional seating and looked at the posted menus at the doors of the other dining rooms. They looked the same to me so when do they tell you of this 'specialty dish'? I even asked our server and she acted 'puzzled' by my question. She said all options available each night were on the menu in front of me.

We'll be on the Star in May and I would like to be aware of all my dining options :). Thanks.

I was on the Diamond in Feb last year (2007) traditional seating and looked at the posted menus at the doors of the other dining rooms. They looked the same to me so when do they tell you of this 'specialty dish'? I even asked our server and she acted 'puzzled' by my question. She said all options available each night were on the menu in front of me.

We'll be on the Star in May and I would like to be aware of all my dining options :). Thanks.

The specialty dishes are not really mentioned on the menus. They may or may not have it. You do have to ask by the dish's name--Osso Bucco in the Italian Dining room, Fajitas in the Tex-Mex dining room, shrimp stir fries in the Asian dining room, and pork chops in the steak house, but that's if the anytime dining rooms are still divided up this way. As I remembered, when Diamond and Sapphire were first launched, they started the anytime dining in 4 dining rooms, with 4 specialty menus as well as the same sets of menus as the traditional dining room. They have abandoned this already because most people would want to eat in the "Steakhouse" more than the other 3 dining rooms. It caused massive confusion for people who don't frequent the message boards and learned of this dining system ahead of time.

We were lucky enough to enjoyed the 4-dining room experience. 18 months later, on the Sapphire, only one signature dish in each anytime dining restaurant was available. I knew this because I read about it on this board. These 4 dishes were not posted anywhere.

If I remembered correctly, Star Princess does not have 4 anytime dining restaurants. It has 2 anytime dining restaurants, so I don't think the signature dishes are available. But if you like a dish enough and you ask for it ahead of time, the chefs on the Princess will prepare for you on a daily basis.

So if you like a certain dish--for example, Creme Brulee or Osso Bucco, just let your Maitre D know when you board the ship (or the first night you dine in the restaurant) and he can arrange that these dishes will be present when you dine the next 6 nights.

We have been on the Sapphire twice and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Osso Bucco .. and I ask the day before I want it .. so the Traditional dining stewards are aware of my wishes .. It has never failed to show up !!

Archived