Windjammer vs Dining Room???

What is the main difference (besides dress code) between eating in the Windjammer vs the Dining Room? Please someone elaborate on any ot the differences in the 3 meals (breakfast, lunch,dinner) and the differences between Windjammer and dining room. Thanks!!:confused: :rolleyes:

WJ is a buffet style delivery. Quality is good. For Breakfast & Lunch it's very popular. We have gone to the dining room for Lunch & breakfast maybe 2 out of 7 days. Usually the last day so we can relax we will do breakfast. For dinner we prefer to socialize and enjoy the same tablemates each evening. Some selections on the dinning room menu are not in the WJ and you are served vs buffet in WJ. We think part of cruising is all about slow pace of someone else serving you dinner. It take 90 mins to 2 hrs but it's more about the dinning and not hust getting fed. There are others who do like the free style and "fastfood" style of the buffet and they can go whenever they want but we can also do that at home. For us it's vacation and slowing down to enjoy others and dinner is one of the reason we cruise.

First of all the Windjammer is a buffet, while the dining room is a sit-down restaurant. Also in the WJ you load up your plate and then find a seat anywhere (including on the pool deck or someplace outside the seating area in the WJ itself), while in the DR you have an assigned seat for dinner. B&L are open seating, which means you may have a table for 2 or a table for 12 (we always ask for 2 and usually get it).

Other than at dinner, in the WJ you have to fetch your own utensils, drinks, etc. There may be a roving coffee/tea cart in the morning and somebody may be offering wine by the glass at lunch & dinner, but otherwise it's self-service. In the evening they will put sets of utensils on the tables but it's still self-service.

In the DR a waiter will take your order and will bring the food out in courses. Beverages come to you, not the other way around. The atmosphere is usually less hectic because you don't have hordes of people going from one food station to the next and not looking at oncoming traffic.

On many RCI ships I find the breakfast & lunch offerings in the WJ to be superior to what is offered in the DR. Many people find the opposite to be true. I have only eaten 1 or 2 dinners in the WJ, so I can't give a fair comparison, but I think that many of the dishes are the same as what you would find in the DR, other than the "luxury" items such as lobster or filet mignon.

I've seen complaints from posters that the food in the WJ never varies. While it is true that you will see the same staple items offered every day, many ships have a station with daily specials (Jewel had that, offering a taco bar, shrimp by the handful and BBQ ribs, for example), and if you don't eat every item every day, you will find plenty of variety in your diet.

Bon appetit!

There is one enormous difference between the two.

You are served in the dining room.

There is self-service in the Windjammer.

For breakfast and lunch in the dining room you will typically be seated with others. They normally seat people in large tables as they arrive. This is a great way to meet some nice people, or sit in silence if you have nothing in common. (Usually have experience more of the former than the latter.) If you really want to sit alone with your group you can request a private table.

At breakfast and lunch in the dining room you will have fewer menu choices, but they will be different from the Windjammer. I think they have waffles and pancakes in the dining room, but they don't in WJ. At lunch you can get a really nice mix of soup, salad, sandwiches. I've had some good steak sandwiches in the dining room.

Your meal will be made to order in the dining room.

It will take longer to eat in the dining room because you'll wait for service.

That said, it's nice to try some of each. When we're in a rush, we eat in Windjammer. When we're feeling lazy (like on sea days) we will eat in the dining room and meet a few other passengers.

We prefer Breakfast in the dining room and lunch (if we're at the pool) in Windjammer. I'm NOT a fan of buffet food--too many dirty hands in the serving bins. Also, you have to fine a clean table, carry you plate, utensils, drink, etc....

It's soooo much easier to go to the dining room, and be served!

On our first cruise as a couple five years ago (my second cruise overall, and her first), my wife and I went to the dining room each night for dinner. It was wonderful and we absolutely enjoyed the experience. *Ever since then*, however, when we board the ship, we have gone to the matre'd and "released" our dining room table for the entire cruise...we will eat dinner most nights in the Windjammer, and one night in either Portofino or Chops. We prefer the peace and quiet of the Windjammer...the staff there has *Always* taken very good care of us, and even arranged for special items from the dining room...sitting at the back of the ship and watching the wake is to die for romantic...the food is just as good as the dining room, and it's a chance for us to re-connect as a couple in a quiet and very sedate atmosphere.

Just our 2 cents...

Michael

On our first cruise as a couple five years ago (my second cruise overall, and her first), my wife and I went to the dining room each night for dinner. It was wonderful and we absolutely enjoyed the experience. *Ever since then*, however, when we board the ship, we have gone to the matre'd and "released" our dining room table for the entire cruise...we will eat dinner most nights in the Windjammer, and one night in either Portofino or Chops. We prefer the peace and quiet of the Windjammer...the staff there has *Always* taken very good care of us, and even arranged for special items from the dining room...sitting at the back of the ship and watching the wake is to die for romantic...the food is just as good as the dining room, and it's a chance for us to re-connect as a couple in a quiet and very sedate atmosphere.

Just our 2 cents...

Michael

Couldn't agree with you more. We had the same experience. We go on vacation to relax and not have to be at any place at a certain time. There are so many other places on the ship to meet people and make friends, even in the Windjammer. At dinner, we find it so much more relaxing and most nights they offer the same items as in the dining room. We like the steak hot off the grill just as we ordered it. I remember always seeing waffles and pancakes for breakfast there too. Also, your eggs cooked to perfection just as you request they be cooked, hot omelets. I can't wait for our next cruise!

Just our 2 cents...

Michael

Here's another one that picks the WJ over the dining room. I cruised on NCL last month and LOVED Freestyle dining. Dine when you want and optional formal nights. Glad to see that RCI is trying the Anytime dining on the Freedom and I hope that it's successful but until then the WJ works out great and I do agree that it is much quieter and the views of the wake is outstanding.:)

We have alternated so much on different trips but have come to the conclusion...Food is Food!!

I am also a "buffet hater" but my thoughts on that are of people standing in lines to get food and by the time you get to your table, food is cold. (WJ breakfasts and lunch, for example). And I feel like I am on some charity soup kitchen line!! Even at weddings at home, I hate buffetts, no matter how elegant.

The nice thing about WJ in the evening is that it's not crowded. The food is basically the same as the dining room menu for that night. Yes, we did have filet mignon and lobster choices on one cruise in the WJ. There were maybe 20 people there. Waiters were asking if anyone would like lobster but the filet was right there at the serving station. And there were no lines since everyone was in the dining room.

We've done WJ, dining room, Chops, Portofino, ate in port, didn't eat, room service etc...one night for "dinner" had an order of onion rings from Johnny Rocketts with a marguerita!!

Enjoy your cruise and do something different every night!!!

On our cruise aboard AOS the end of April, my husband and I ate almost exclusively in the WJ for the simple reason that we were on vacation and didn't have to get dressed up. As for the statement that someone feels like they are in a "soup kitchen line", I'd like to know what soup kitchen gives that kind of food? We can go to dinner when we so chose and eat what we want. The only exception on that cruise was the Friday night lobster tail. We did go to the dining room for that, but should have stayed with the WJ as the service on the two nights we did go to the dining room, the waiter kept drumming up the fact that he would like a "Big tip"...needless to say, we were not overjoyed by the experience. He also wanted our room number, which I thought was quite odd and a little bit discerning. To each their own.

Now a days there is not too much difference...however the difference that I notice is Windjammer allows bathing suits with a cover up...short shorts and tee's...where as these are not permitted in the Dinning room. But people brake the rules all the time and the cruise line staff are not policemen...it's really up to us, as passengers to do the right thing and dress appropriately...but there is always the exception to every rule.

As for the statement that someone feels like they are in a "soup kitchen line", I'd like to know what soup kitchen gives that kind of food?

My comment to feeling like I was in a soup kitchen line, had nothing to do with the quality of the food...I just don't like standing in lines at buffets!

Again, as I stated, you never saw that at dinner time. Only at the mad rushes of breakfasts and lunch.

Initially I thought I would eat dinner some nights in the WJ, but after the first night in the dining room (Vision-Alaska-7/20) I didn't want to eat anywhere else. My waitstaff was so outstanding (other diners near us said they were jealous) that I and my tablemates looked forward to dinner with them each evening. :) They provided some very memorable moments. We LOVED them!! I took notice of the other waitstaff and I feel we "lucked out" and had the very best. You never know, you may find that you have a similar experience and want to dine in the DR every night. It is also very relaxing to be waited on hand-and-foot.

As far as the WJ for breakfast, I saw pancakes (different varieties), waffles, and french toast available every day I was in there.

Don't forget there are burgers, dogs, and pizza available every day in the solarium as well, if you're really in a hurry in the afternoon.

Archived