Bringing Water Onboard

patross

Don,

You say your tap water is awful... are you from Florida? To me, Florida water smells like sulfur and tastes even worse!! Tastes like swamp water.

What part of Florida? I have found that to be true in some areas, but certainly not around here. There is water bottled right here, actually. When I lived in Miami in college and after, I bought the bottled water from my hometown because I tasted so much better! :)

But for some reason you cannot convience people of that........:confused: even after the companies admit they are bottling tap water. ;)

Guess they still believe in their "designer" water.

It's about taste, not whether it's tap or not. I've moved around a bit and there are definitely dramatic differences in the taste of the local tap water.

There's a difference in the bottled stuff too. Prolly from the different local water sources they use. Aquafina is tap. If it's bad tap, then it'll taste bad. If it's from a mountain spring, it might taste better.

It's kinda like soda. Some people like Coke. Some people like Pepsi. Some people must have their caffeine free vanilla cherry margarita coke flavor. It's all personal preferences.

Personally, I think the ship water is fine. However, it's not great so I can see why some people can't stand it. Aquafina is pretty crappy IMO, but drinkable. It's just slightly below Princess tap water in taste IMO. I love Evian. It's the only brand I've tried yet that I could consider "designer" and above and beyond normal tap water. I normally just get Arrowhead due to the price and cuz it tastes "normal" to me. I can't stand the Costco brand for some reason. Fiji, another "designer" brand is bland and around the Princess tap level to me.

It's hard to argue about bottled water and tap water along taste on the internet because there are so many sources so you really can't compare anything.

My understanding is that the ships use a "reverse osmosis" system for all the water on the ship... that includes water from the room sink tap. If that is the case, the ships water is by far... better than something you can buy and bring on board.

'by far' ? Most bottled water is filtered through either reverse osmosis or some other form of barrier processing. The original source of the water has more effect on taste than any processing. We regularly get water at our grocery store dispenser but it's just city tap water run through a reverse osmosis process.

It's about taste, not whether it's tap or not.

I love Evian. It's the only brand I've tried yet that I could consider "designer" and above and beyond normal tap water.

It sure is all about taste! I hate the taste of Evian (or Naive, as I prefer to call it).

When we last saile and I bought a case just before sailing this is how I put it aboard. I wrapped the case several times around each way with duck tape so it wouldn't come apart. It made the case much more "stable" and the luggage crew told me when it arrived thsat it was nice because they could lift it up without it wobbling. I checked it through with our luggage and had put a cruise ship luggage tag on the case.

All the"tap" water aboard is actually distilled water....sea water that is de-salinated and then filtered. While I do not choose to drink it myself, it is considered pure, distilled water. On many cruise threads passengers are anxious about how to fill the humidifiers of their cpap machines, lacking their usual distilled water. The water aboard IS distilled water and the best source for their machine. I have heard from some friends who are very sensitive to salt intake that the water aboard is high in sodium, though.

We pack ours in a small duffel and send it with checked luggage. We then use that duffel for giflts, laundry, etc. when we disembark.

This is exactly what we do. We bring a 12 pack for shore excursions and use the bag for the extra stuff we bring back. Never had a problem.

I have heard from some friends who are very sensitive to salt intake that the water aboard is high in sodium, though.

Yes, it takes salty to me. Actually, it tastes like Dasani water, which contains added salt and tastes horrible to me.

Refilling water bottles is not recommended. I used to do that until I ended up in the hospital with a hole in my stomach from bacteria. I lost over half of my blood and would have died if they couldn't have stopped the bleeding. If you're going to drink bottled water make it a fresh one each time or use extremely hot water and soap to wash the bottle before filling.

The water aboard IS distilled water and the best source for their machine. I have heard from some friends who are very sensitive to salt intake that the water aboard is high in sodium, though.

But isn't distilled water virtually free of salt?

Refilling water bottles is not recommended. I used to do that until I ended up in the hospital with a hole in my stomach from bacteria. I lost over half of my blood and would have died if they couldn't have stopped the bleeding. If you're going to drink bottled water make it a fresh one each time or use extremely hot water and soap to wash the bottle before filling.

Very true! WalMart has lots of great water bottles on clearance from the summer section right now. We got them for 50 cents each. They have nice wide openings so that you can truly wash them well. Some even had little straps on them so that you can attach them to backpacks and such (or, in our case, the stroller handles). We love water, but never reuse disposable bottles.

Hey. Im crusing tomorrow and i was wondering if i take alchoal and fill it with water bottles and put it in my suitcase.is theer any way that i would get caught? or what would happen.thanks:)

May I be the first to welcome you to CruiseCritic

Carnival had alcohol sniffing dogs so you will be caught.

(toungue in cheek)

[quote name='cdawg2054']Hey. Im crusing tomorrow and i was wondering if i take alchoal and fill it with water bottles and put it in my suitcase.is theer any way that i would get caught? or what would happen.thanks:)[/quote]

I don't think it's worth the time or effort to sneak alcohol on board in water bottles. JMO.

Archived