Bringing Water Onboard

patross

We plan to bring a case of bottled water onboard. For those of you that have brought water on a Princess ship, can you please share how you transported it. We won't be flying so we don't want to bring another carryon suitcase. Thanks.

We haven't actually taken a case onboard but have seen others do it. Just tag it with your name and cabin number and it will arrive with the rest of your luggage. The only reason we don't do it is we normally sail out of PR and its too bothersome to carry it to the pier. We just buy a six pack and refill at the Horizon court when necessary.

We plan to bring a case of bottled water onboard. For those of you that have brought water on a Princess ship, can you please share how you transported it. We won't be flying so we don't want to bring another carryon suitcase. Thanks.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO BRING WATER ON BOARD - YOU ARE ON A SHIP WHICH IS SURROUNDED WITH MORE WATER YOU THAN YOU CAN DRINK IN A LIFETIME - BRING EMPTY BOTTLES AND FILL FRO YOUR ROOM TAP. BEST WATER IN THE WORLD - BETTER THAN AQUAFINA.

rON

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO BRING WATER ON BOARD - YOU ARE ON A SHIP WHICH IS SURROUNDED WITH MORE WATER YOU THAN YOU CAN DRINK IN A LIFETIME - BRING EMPTY BOTTLES AND FILL FRO YOUR ROOM TAP. BEST WATER IN THE WORLD - BETTER THAN AQUAFINA.

rON

Granted, I've only been on one "overnight" cruise and only a few day/dinner cruises. But I do not like the ship filtered water at all. I much prefer my bottled Zephyrhills or even Target brand water.

My understanding is that the ships use a "reverse osmosis" system for all the water on the ship... that includes water from the room sink tap. If that is the case, the ships water is by far... better than something you can buy and bring on board.

In early July, we brought a case of bottled water for our family of 5 on our Caribbean Princess cruise. We just put a luggage tag on it and it made it safe and sound to our room.

It was very convenient to take on excursions as they charge 2 or 3 dollars a bottle for water as you leave the ship.

Refilling bottles is ok, but after awhile they become soiled and full of bacteria and it is not easy to clean them in the cabin as the bathroom sink is quite small.

I usually pack water in my suitcase that I check with the airline. I wrap the bottles in a plastic bag and put in with the clothes to protect them. One cruise we went on my son had a whole case and just put a luggage tag on it. We had driven to the port and the water did turn up in our cabin. Just make certain you tip well when you check in and leave the luggage.

You can paste a cabin luggage tag directly on the package or put in a large plastic crate (that's what we do), give to the porter at the pier with a tip.

You can always refill a water bottle, but unless you're talking about a mug that you can wash out...you are risking having a container holding bacteria along with your water.

My understanding is that the ships use a "reverse osmosis" system for all the water on the ship... that includes water from the room sink tap. If that is the case, the ships water is by far... better than something you can buy and bring on board.

But for some reason you cannot convience people of that........:confused: even after the companies admit they are bottling tap water. ;)

Guess they still believe in their "designer" water.

You can always refill a water bottle' date=' but unless you're talking about a mug that you can wash out...you are risking having a container holding bacteria along with your water.[/quote']

So true. Ick! If you are going to refill, take a "real" water bottle, not a disposable one.

But for some reason you cannot convience people of that........:confused: even after the companies admit they are bottling tap water. ;)

Guess they still believe in their "designer" water.

I don't care about "designer" (which is why store brand water is fine with me). I care about taste. And I don't like the taste of ship water, no matter how fancy the process. I like tap water!

rON

I agree, on our last princess cruise I found the water to be excellent from the taps. Every night I would fill the bottle I had and put it in the fridge for the next day on the islands.

Great water - saved money! :D

Unfortunately, my small town banned the sale of small bottled water. This issue is one of the greens big issues today. Its costs a lot of energy to lug those empty bottles around for recycling. The tap water in my town is awful, but there aren't any small bottles to buy.

Unfortunately, my small town banned the sale of small bottled water. This issue is one of the greens big issues today. Its costs a lot of energy to lug those empty bottles around for recycling. The tap water in my town is awful, but there aren't any small bottles to buy.

Yes, it's true! Bottled water (or bottled anything, really) is environmentally unfriendly. It's definitely best to get reusable bottles (like Klean Kanteen) and use tap water. But on a cruise, I like to have water that tastes good to *me*. And that's tap/bottled water. I drink water all day and really like to have what tastes good to me.

Cruising isn't very enviromentally friendly at all, is it? I feel guilty about it! We work hard in other areas of our lives to respect the earth, but I fall way short on this one!

Cruising isn't very enviromentally friendly at all, is it? I feel guilty about it! We work hard in other areas of our lives to respect the earth, but I fall way short on this one!

Thoughts

I think it is less environmentally friendly that everyone taking their own cars on vacation

They should hook all of the "Rowing machines" and "Spin Cycles" up to a generator so they can help power the ship.

We ususally do both, we bring 6 -8 bottles w/ us and when we finish those we use tap water. The only problem w/ the tap water is that it does contain some salt which can cause water retention in some people and some are watching their salt intake.

Don,

You say your tap water is awful... are you from Florida? To me, Florida water smells like sulfur and tastes even worse!! Tastes like swamp water.

Archived