Request for advice on Navigator

My wife and I are considering a 9-night western Mediterranean cruise (Funchal to Nice) on the Navigator for late April. We would value your advice on a few issues:

1. We're trying to decide among a C cabin, a Penthouse B, and a Navigator Suite. Does butler service make a sufficient difference to one's experience onboard to justify opting for a Penthouse suite over a C cabin? Is the added space in a Navigator Suite sufficient to justify the price premium over the Penthouse? I realize that these are ultimately subjective questions, but I'd appreciate your views if you have any. Are there any specific cabin numbers to request or to avoid?

2. I've read in various threads that vibration has been a concern for some on the Regent ships but that the issue largely disappears in cabins forward of the laundry room. Can you tell me where the laundry rooms are located on the Navigator?

3. Do you have any thoughts, pro or con, on this particular cruise?

Many thanks.

I would recommend a Cat E just forward of the Atrium. Don't bother with a penthouse; it's the same stateroom, you just get a butler and that's not worth the extra money. The laundries aboard Navigator are forward of the Atrium. They're not on all stateroom decks. Can't remember which have them and which don't. There is vibration aft at high RPM and in rough seas. It's a shaft driven ship. Funchal-Nice in the Spring can be delightful, or it can be stormy. We've been mostly lucky when we've done it. The ports are good.

I agree with Doug, don't bother with a penthouse, as they are same as standard suites, unlike the nice penthouse suites on Mariner. I've been on the Navigator 3 times, and love it. Your ports are good, I would plan to arrive in Funchal a day or two early and exploring the island. It is lovely! I was just there this spring on the Voyager crossing. There is a definite vibration aft on the Navigator. You will feel it in the show lounge, and up on deck 10 in the restaurant. I have always been midship and low on the Navigator, as I tend to get seasick.

We were in suite 837 (just a few suites behind Atrium). We had been extremely concerned aboaut the vibration on the Navigator -- reported to be worse than the Voyager. However, the vibration was barely noticeable -- even in the showroom. It's a great ship -- enjoy your cruise!:)

I agree that it isn't worth the extra cost to go for a PH with a butler. In fact, they upgraded me to 801 after my lower cabin flooded last crossing and I never saw my butler. He introduced himself and that was it. Not his fault, I just didn't need his services. He would have brought snacks in the afternoon, but after lunch and tea I skipped it.

I think the lower (and less costly) the better!! I always book deck 6 or 7 and feel very little vibration (except in 601, and I expect it there). Plus they are convenient to the common areas off the atrium. On the other hand, deck 8 and 9 have a laundry room, so it is a little easier to see when they are available if you are on those decks.

We are a group of 9 already signed on for this cruise. We thought that even tho' it's a little early in the season, it's a great itinerary! We'll be going on a Tauck trip to Spain & Portugal on 4/9 & we will have 2 days in Funchal in between. Do you have a travel agent who is a member of virtuoso? If so, there will be a comp all day excursion in Barcelona which looks quite nice. I think most of us are in "E", fairly close to midships & had a very nice selection of cabins when we first signed up. It's the first Regent cruise for all of us & we've heard excellent things so have high hopes! The size of the Navigator appealed to all of us since most of us have only had experience on small ships (Silversea, Lindblad, Cruise West, etc.) I hope you'll be joining us.

Archived