Best Seating Time for Kids

Going on Liberty in a few weeks with my wife and 4 year old son. I want the best chance to sit with other families with children during dinner. But, I don't want to cut short the day.

I am currently set for the late seating (8:30 pm). Are there still a fair amount of children in the dining rooms for the late seating? Or, is it better to switch to the early (6:30 pm) seating?

I think that families more often do early seating, but there likely will be some other families at late seating. If your preferance is late seating in terms of how it fits with your schedule, why not keep it and when you board the ship, stop by the dining room soon afterwards and speak with the maitre'D. They often try to accommodate preferences, so if you ask to be placed at a table with other families during late seating, if this is possible he will in all likelihood arrange it for you.

Have a great cruise.

More children will be at the early seating. I can not see your 4 yr old even making it until 8:30 with all of the activities. We have always done early seating with our son, since the age of 4 and still at the age of 12. This gives them some time to join in the adventure ocean fun. At the age of 4 to 7, some nights he would eat at early seating and went right to bed, being so tired from the days activities.

IMHO you'd be crazy not to change to early seating. As the other poster said, your 4 year old will be tired - which turns into cranky - which makes it hard for you to enjoy your dinner. I think you'd be happier overall with early seating.

Early will have more kids and still lots of time to make activities. Also, if he is use to a day care have the Advt Ocean club and can do supper with them three nights at Johnny Rockets which my daughters love.

I think early seating is best for the kids, especially small ones, if you want to make supper a family meal in the main dining room. Late seating is probably around his normal bedtime. If you'd rather have late, though, you could get your child room service to eat in the cabin while you get ready for dinner, or you could take him to the Windjammer, letting him eat earlier. The kids have activities at 7:00, so he could head there, and the 2 of you could have a date. You'd still have the option of him eating with you should the late time work for him, though. We did early with our kids and were glad we did.

I don't have to tell you that young children don't do well with schedule changes, especially mealtime changes. Assuming your little one doesn't normally eat dinner at 8:30, I'd switch. I think you'll all be happier.

I've got to agree with everyone else. We have always booked the early seating since we took the children. On one cruise, we were given late seating and the children kept falling asleep at the table (they were about 5 and 6). Thankfully, we were able to change to an early seating within a couple of days. Even now the children are 12 and 13, we prefer the early seating.

To the OP, 8:30 pm is when the doors open to the dining room for the late seating. By the time you get seated, check the menu, order and the food gets to you it will probably be 9 pm or after before you are actually eating anything. You know your little guy best, but that seems awfully late for dinner at that age, especially after a busy day. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!

Would your 4 year old be able to eat at 8:30-10pm? Mine would be sleeping in her soup. ;)

We always book early seating. The kids get served REALLY quickly. Then after they are done I take them up to AO and enjoy dessert alone with my hubby.

Then we have the rest of the night to do what we want to do while the kids are at AO.

Last summer we did early seating with our DS's 11 and 12 and asked the Waiters to time their meals so they could get to AO for the night time activites. It made it very enjoyable for all 4 or us.

We also got to see the Shows while they where in AO and when the day was over, we all ended up at the Cabin at the same time to share details of our evenings.

My DD (now 4 1/2) cruised last year with us....when she was 3 1/2, and did fine at the Late seating. I just made sure she had a nap each day....she was tired from all the activities, so she fell asleep each day. She also adjusts to schedule changes pretty well, and we were traveling with a family (group of 10). We always had activities for her to do at dinner. After dinner, she often went to the Late Night Party Zone. This year...we have the late seating, and I do not anticipate any problems. I think it depends on the child. There were other children at the late seating. If your child will nap during the day...it shouldn't be an issue. Enjoy your cruise!!!

My son does tend to sleep late (8 am or so) and will nap in the afternoon. So I think he'd be OK with the late seating.

Thanks for all the opinions!!

JFC

Yeah, I thought this thread was interesting. Very few posters actually addressed your original question. There will be more children at the early seating, but normally a fair number at the late seating as well. The concerns about whether he'll be able to handle eating that late are valid, but I'm sure you know better how he would do with that than any of the rest of us. Some children adjust their schedules much easier than others.

Of course, either way you go, there will be at least a couple opportunities for him to have dinner w/ the AO group, if that's what he/you want. :)

Another option: If your son enjoys Adventure Ocean, you can take him for a quiet early dinner in the Windjammer, then drop him at AO (I think it starts at 7:00), and then go on to late dinner yourselves. You'll still get a family dinner in the Windjammer (you and your spouse can have snacks instead of a full meal), and you won't feel like your day is cut short by having the early dinner seating

I tend to believe more children will be at early seating, although I know people who cruise with their kids who go to late seating. They just make sure the kids have a good nap first.

We will be cruising next week and we've decided on the early seating for our 6 and 3 year old children. We feel we'll be more likely to get seated with another family with kids.

I chose the early seating for our family. After looking at what activies are offered for my kids ages (12-15) I didn't want them to miss a lot of things because we were having dinner.

As long as I can get them thru dinner, they will be free to leave before dessert (if they want).

I just want to cry again about this topic :( We booked in March for our Dec. cruise. We enjoyed late seating on Disney (8:00) so left the default for late dinner.

In May, after reading these boards, I realized that having early seating for kids' activities would be best. (Our cruise was not full at the time, and even was a hot deal for a while). When I called I was told not only could I not switch to early seating, the waitlist was full, and they wouldn't add my name.

Yes, I know I can see the Maitre D when I board, which I will -- but I would suggest to those who may consider early to do it early;) because you can switch to late later if you want.

My son does tend to sleep late (8 am or so) and will nap in the afternoon. So I think he'd be OK with the late seating.

Thanks for all the opinions!!

JFC

8am is late???? lol ;)

Just know that if you do late seating, and he DOES attend dinner with you. Then he wll miss the pirate parade at AO. They do it during the late seating dinner.

But yes, there WILL be kids at late seating.

8am is late???? lol ;)

Just know that if you do late seating, and he DOES attend dinner with you. Then he wll miss the pirate parade at AO. They do it during the late seating dinner.

But yes, there WILL be kids at late seating.

I think the night of the parade he will eat at J Rockets or Windjammer early and then hit AO to be part of it. I definetely don't want him to miss that!!!! My wife and I will be in the dining room waiting anxiously.

I think the night of the parade he will eat at J Rockets or Windjammer early and then hit AO to be part of it. I definetely don't want him to miss that!!!! My wife and I will be in the dining room waiting anxiously.

That works too :D ;)

My 7 year old LOVED the pirate parade. It is really a cute thing. My 3 year old, not so much...lol. She took one look at me and mutinied. ;)

Just off Liberty last week with a group of 15 with early seating..

Lots of kids at early seating (more teens/older kids at late seating)

Evening Adventure Ocean activities are during the late seating so if you're kids are into those then early seating is great.

My kids (9 and 12) did not like a lot of the AO activities preferring to hang out around the pool, arcade, and sorrentos...

They were snacking a lot more during the day so often were not hungry at the early seating time.. Many days we were rushing to get ready for the early seating..

Had we not been sailing with the larger group I think we'd have signed up for the late seating and then taken the kids to eat at either Windjammer/Sorrentos on nights that they wanted to do something at AO or on their own.

Last year on our 12 night cruise with our 2 year old daughter we did the late seating which was perfect for a few reasons. When we go on board after a day out on the island or doing what ever on the ship, she would usually take a nap from 5-8 and be rested for dinner. It also helps that she is used to going out to dinner alot and usually at later times and when we go out we are usually seated for about 2 hours. Also we had a 4 year old at our table which was great. Usually my hubbie would take her out onto the dancefloor in the centrum between entree and dessert.

With that said, it really depends on the child and what time they are used to going to bed etc. What works for one won't work for another.

Archived