Best Flight seeing trip??

shookdm

We are debating on which flight seeing trip to take on our 1 Sep cruise. Mckinley is a possiblility, but so are the dog sled trips (If still running), the extended glacier trek, the bear watching and the general "look at a glacier" type flights.

Obviously we don't want to do it in every port, so we would like to here some feedback about which trips people enjoyed the most. I understand the dog sled tours may not be running this late, and often get cancelled anyway, so don't have my hopes up.

I did the Misty fjords and McKinley flight with glacier landing in early June. If was going back and could only do just one I would have to pick McKinley. If money wasn't an issue, I would want to do it all - sledding, glaciers, bears, etc.

Can't wait to go back. My daughter asked me the other day "Dad, your are still in Alaska aren't you?" My reply was, yes :)

JPR

www.jprphotos.com

I would agree withe the above Poster--we went on a Misty Fjord float plane trip and a McKinley flight. They were both very nice, but if I only could pick one, it would be the McKinley flight. The scale of the mountains and glaciers is beyond anything that I had seen before. But, I can say this--regardless of which you pick, you will have a great time and see some beautiful scenery.

• 2 weeks later...

We did all three flights: Misty Fjords with Family Air, dogsledding with Temsco in Skagway, and Mt. McKinley with K2 Aviation in Talkeetna. By far, the Mt. McKinley was the best. We could not land on glacier because ice was unstable due to heat wave, but still the best excursion. Dogsledding on glacier was definitely second best. Landing on lake in Misty Fjords was pretty cool, glad we did it first, though, instead of last.

We did floatplane to Victoria, Misty Fjords floatplane, glacier helicopter landing in Juneau, and McKinley flightseeing. My favorite was McKinley and DH's favorite was the glacier landing. If you could do a glacier landing at McKinley would be the best of both worlds, I would think.

• 2 weeks later...

On Serenade 9/12-19. Did Pilot's Choice helicopter in Juneau, booked through RCCL, landed twice, once on glacier and second time at toe of glacier standing next to calves...what an awesome experience! In Ketchikan did the floatplane Misty Fjords/glacier combination with Family Air Tours--Dave was great, flew up the Fjords to Soule Glacier, then tracked down the glacier and landed on a lake...saw trout in the water, Dave grabbed his pole and on second cast landed a 17" Rainbow!!! It was really a fantastic trip, more than 2-1/2 hours in the plane! Give him a call!!!

Hey Polodad,

Was that the flight we were supposed to be on with you, if the Summit had been on time? I hope you took some good bear pictues for me. Our Misty Fjords flt with Southeast was good but compared to Mt McKinley Summit flt, not as overwhelming. Plus we also did Misty Fjords with Island Wings two years ago and got to get out on island in lake rather than stand on pontoons with Southeast.

Archived