Why you don't post more?

MSammy

Speaking of people who have disappeared recently, I don't think dakrewser/dave has posted in about 6 weeks. Is he off on a world voyage or something?

Dave's last post is dated June 28. I have no idea where he's disappeared to. Does anybody know?

I love to cruise and I enjoy reading everyone else's posts on the variety of subjects on these boards. Unfortunately, I do not have the opportunity to cruise very often. Because of this, I feel that my responses to many of the questions posed would be outdated and perhaps not of much value. For instance, our last cruise was on Mariner of the Seas in early 2006. I enjoyed that ship and that cruise very much but there are so many others who have sailed recently that any input I could give might not even be accurate any longer.

At any rate, I read these boards regularly and enjoy them very much. I simply often feel that there is nothing additonal I can contribute to some of the topics that are raised.

I love to read the boards and check in almost daily except weekends and sometimes weekends are better for me than weekdays...but unless I have free time, just do not post every time.

That said, as a cruise nears I do find myself posting more and then immediately afterwards give my report and read others too.

Linda

I love to cruise and I enjoy reading everyone else's posts on the variety of subjects on these boards. Unfortunately, I do not have the opportunity to cruise very often. Because of this, I feel that my responses to many of the questions posed would be outdated and perhaps not of much value. For instance, our last cruise was on Mariner of the Seas in early 2006. I enjoyed that ship and that cruise very much but there are so many others who have sailed recently that any input I could give might not even be accurate any longer.

At any rate, I read these boards regularly and enjoy them very much. I simply often feel that there is nothing additional I can contribute to some of the topics that are raised.

Hi Blythe...please do not feel that you cannot post because you have not cruised for x amount of time. Unless you are giving specific information about a question on cabins, ship s, places, etc. then your input is as valid as someone who sailed last week. Most posting on CC is about opinion, impressions, experiences and yours are as relevant as anyone else's.

Welsh Wizard I laughed out loud at your question re killing a thread. I'm sure it involves a great deal of pain! You have a great sense of humor. Ditto on the penguin "video" on your signature. Let's hear more from you.

Because of threads like this one

Nordam, Noordamm, Nordahm

I general won't post unless I type it somewhere else where I can use spell check. Many times I almost reply, post etc but then I don't want to take the time (especially if I'm at work) to past it in a word document, run spell check and paste it back. So I just don't post.

Unfortunately spell check doesn't find when I've added a word or left a word out. Or when I use the wrong content, i.e.; two or too or to.

Happy cruising to all.

Nordam, Noordam, Fordham

I general won't post unless I type it somewhere else where I can use spell check. Many times I almost reply, post etc but then I don't want to take the time (especially if I'm at work) to past it in a word document, run spell check and paste it back. So I just don't post.

Unfortunately spell check doesn't find when I've added a word or left a word out. Or when I use the wrong content, i.e.; two or too or to.

Happy cruising to all.

Hi, Magictan..........you post made me kind of sad...I would urge you to NOT stop posting because of possibly making spelling or typing errors. It is not how you contribute, but what you contribute that matters.

I have posted on the thread you mentioned the following comments.

=======================================================

Cruise Critic Posting Rules.

Spelling and Grammar Errors It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

================================================== ===

Hi.

Someone on another thread has quoted this thread as the reason they do not like to post any more. I find this rather sad.

I realize most posts are tongue in cheek, and meant to be amusing, but please do not forget that the posts you are making fun of are posted by a person . Even spelling you may perceive to be correct, American English [?} can be scoffed at by others. eg. colour.

Nordam, Noordamm, Nordahm

I understand ... but keep in mind that nobody should really bother you about spelling. To do so is a violation of board policy, and when it happens it should be pulled.

While I've not gone back to the thread since I first glanced at it and posted a sarcastic one-word post to it ("Noordarn"), I had thought it was more tongue-in-cheek than serious. Perhaps I was wrong?

Don't let spelling concerns keep you away. AND ... you might try a browser that has an automatic spell-check built in. Safari for Mac does, and it's very helpful. There must be others for Windows.

[Later Note: The Welsh Wizard beat me to it ... :D]

Someone on another thread has quoted this thread as the reason they do not like to post any more. I find this rather sad.
I don't pay much attention to spelling in my posts, and occasionally a typo or plain misspelling slips through. I'll admit that sometimes when I'm typing and I'm unsure of a word I'll pick a different word. No one should worry about it, though.
... you might try a browser that has an automatic spell-check built in. Safari for Mac does, and it's very helpful. There must be others for Windows.
Firefox does, and works on Win XP.

Jim, February 9th a large group of us are doing the Mexican Riviera on the Oosterdam. We named it the Yum Yum Man Worshippers Cruise:) I have set up a group cruise thru my TA but many have just booked with what ever TA they found a good price with and we are linking our booking numbers. So are this is the list that are booked, it is quite a large group of active HAL board CCers. This cruise started with localady and myself booking this together then it just took off from there.;) We have quite the active Roll Call and we already have Sean wearing Red Slippers;)

Yum Yum Worshipers

LAFFNVEGAS Lisa and Tom

Localady Sher and Bob

middle-aged mom Karin

SDHALFAN Valerie

werewolf Connie

Crescoia Ken (DH of Connie)

Marjeanne Jeanne and Huston

Tinknock50 Sean and Mom (Katherine)

Hammybee Lynn

seniormiss Jill

itwinkle3 Stacey and George

krosmon Kathleen

Cruznon Peggy and Fred

Solstice Kate and Jim

fcorey Frank and Michelle

Lisa....can I take off the slippers now? They are really uncomfortable in the 112 degree heat!

I... I'll admit that sometimes when I'm typing and I'm unsure of a word I'll pick a different word...

John,

That reminds me of some advice I got decades ago from a journalism teacher in high school: "Know the difference between the words, but if your sentence or headline calls for using 'whom' instead of 'who', rewrite it." ;)

I just joined CC this spring and posted a lot at first, and I'm not generally afraid of giving my views. But, recently I've tapered off a lot from posting, because I have been traveling often lately for business and when I check in after a few days off the boards and see a thread that sounds interesting, you guys have run with it and gotten it up to several pages, with not much left for me to say! Now, I'm usually not seeing the threads on the front page because they are new so much as because they are a few days old but have been bumped up by a new post. This thread is one of them -- I've just read the whole thing. But, just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I'm not reading. Please keep commenting, because I enjoy your thoughts.

And good gracious, a lot of people have thoughts on some topics! The discussion I was part of starting when I asked Karin and hammybee just how the AYW thing was working on Noordam has gotten stickied, and has hundreds of replies and thousands of views! I never expected to see that.

The post on this thread by NoNoNanette and others along the lines of a majority/minority reminded me of an old quotation I had forgotten but just saw in this morning's Washington Times, by Marcus Aurelius: "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

Ah, but who is to say which is which?

Dave

John,

............And good gracious, a lot of people have thoughts on some topics! ......... has hundreds of replies and thousands of views! I never expected to see that.

The post on this thread by NoNoNanette....... reminded me of an old quotation I had forgotten but just saw in this morning's Washington Times, by Marcus Aurelius: "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

Dave

Was Marcus Aurelius prophetic when he said .......

"observe too the continuous spinning of the thread and the contexture of the web. (from The Meditations) " Might he have predicted the Internet and Cruise Critic.... ! :)

John,

And good gracious, a lot of people have thoughts on some topics! The discussion I was part of starting when I asked Karin and hammybee just how the AYW thing was working on Noordam has gotten stickied, and has hundreds of replies and thousands of views! I never expected to see that.

Dave

Who knew Dave? Who knew? :D It still has a long, long way to go to achieve the status of the new VISTA build, Zuiderdam, way back when.

I used to post all the time (as you can see by the number of posts:) ) ... and I've posted more recently because we have a cruise coming up. It used to be a lot of fun for me.

But I've tried too hard sometimes to go to bat for people I feel have been flamed or criticized unnecessarily. This is often misread.

The problem with message boards is we really don't know anyone here (except for some who have met on cruises) ... It's very easy to be misinterpreted, misunderstood. Sometimes we hurt people we don't mean to; sometimes it's the other way around.

In the end it's all words on a page ... it has no true laughter, or knowledge of what goes on with the person behind the keyboard. You have to have a pretty tough skin and I don't.

Heather.....I have enjoyed all of your posts, & have found you very informative....please don't stop, it would be our loss.

Lynne:)

Was Marcus Aurelius prophetic when he said .......

"observe too the continuous spinning of the thread and the contexture of the web. (from The Meditations) " Might he have predicted the Internet and Cruise Critic.... ! :)

WW, Now you've gotten me rediscovering The Meditations -- thank you.

Yes, he said that, but he also said: "How much time he saves who does not look to see what his neighbor says or does or thinks."

I don't think I've saved much time today...:rolleyes:

Dave

I used to post but was rudely and personally attacked by several people in a thread I started. I wasn't even attacked for the question, but moreso for my own personal situation that led to my question. Fortunately the mods deleted the offensive posts and locked the thread but I doubt I'll ever ask another question on these boards. At least nothing that has anything to do with my personal life. Actually I quit coming here at all for a while and only recently started reading these boards again. Thank goodness for ignore lists. :(

Most people here are nice, though. It's a shame a few bad apples can spoil the barrel.

I used to post but was rudely and personally attacked by several people in a thread I started.

You piqued my curiosity, and I went and found your Dec thread about EG and the meddling TA. Now I am curious about the cruise you have coming up in November. Is this you and Mom again, and has it been kept hidden from EG? What happened with complaints to either of the TAs, or the ASTA?

Most people here are nice, though. It's a shame a few bad apples can spoil the barrel.
Yes, unfortunately, there's a few that can almost always be counted on to attack. :(

As you can see this is only my second post. I am a lurker at heart, not good with the written word. Cruising is a passion and I love reading everything about it. Lucky for me DH gets just as excited as I do about

cruising, no matter how far away the reservation.:)

As you can see this is only my second post. I am a lurker at heart, not good with the written word. Cruising is a passion and I love reading everything about it. Lucky for me DH gets just as excited as I do about

Why do you believe you are not good with the written word. ? You conveyed to me your reluctance to post, and the reason why, and you also conveyed you and your husband's love of cruising , and you interest in CC. all with a few short words. Worked ok for me . :)

Welish Wizards, Revneal and Cruising-Along

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I really appreciate them.

Thanks to everyone on these threads who have offered great advice and suggestions for us new cruisers. I'm more excited than nervous about my first cruise due to the members of CC.

I'm almost into the single digit countdown till I board the Noordam. Can't wait.:D

Seacats, I agree with Welsh Wizards, I understood you perfectly. I have been a bit embarrassed with the way some of my posts turn out but except for a few everyone has been great. So post if you love cruising these boards are where you want to be. If you feel you're being attacked there is really no need to answer the poster, just move on. Almost everyone just wants to help each other out.

Dianne

Archived