london to harwich

Can someone tell us the best option for traveling from Baker Street, London to Harwich. I checked out the train and was ready to reserve seats from Liverpool Street station to the port at Harwich for $64 + $18 postage for the two of us. When I looked at a city map, however, it looked like it might be an expensive taxi ride from the hotel to the station. Is this the case, and what alternatives are there that might be reasonable and/or fairly simple to get us there? Thanks for your help.

Hi, and welcome to CC, 92101!

Can someone tell us the best option for traveling from Baker Street, London to Harwich. I checked out the train and was ready to reserve seats from Liverpool Street station to the port at Harwich for $64 + $18 postage for the two of us. When I looked at a city map, however, it looked like it might be an expensive taxi ride from the hotel to the station. Is this the case, and what alternatives are there that might be reasonable and/or fairly simple to get us there?
I think that a taxi should cost you something in the region of £15. If the traffic is really bad, it could get up to about £20. Don't forget that London taxi drivers' tip expectations are pretty low now, so there aren't piles of hidden costs.

I checked out the train and was ready to reserve seats from Liverpool Street station to the port at Harwich for $64 + $18 postage for the two of us.

There is no need to reserve seats ahead of time for this. All you need do is walk up to the window and purchase when you get to Liverpool. Save yourself that postage!!

There is no need to reserve seats ahead of time for this. All you need do is walk up to the window and purchase when you get to Liverpool. Save yourself that postage!!

Agreed, but PLEASE make sure that you head for Liverpool STREET - that is the London station for trains to Harwich and other parts of East Anglia. Ask for Liverpool (home of the Beatles, 190 miles northwest of London) and you might be directed to Euston station for a train to get there. Liverpool Street station is an easy Underground (subway) ride from Baker Street or a taxi shouldn't take more than 20-30 mins even at the height of the rush hour.

Thanks for your prompt replies. Just wondering, is the train THE way to go to Harwich? What about a coach? Would this be more convenient for us from Baker Street to Harwich? If so, where can I find information?

Agreed, but PLEASE make sure that you head for Liverpool STREET - that is the London station for trains to Harwich and other parts of East Anglia.
Correct!

In the UK, NEVER adopt the lazy practice of dropping the last bit off the street name. You must always give the full street name, otherwise you will run the risk of being sent to the wrong place.

For example, the following streets are mostly within a few hundred yards of each other in central London:-

Hyde Park Crescent, W2

Hyde Park Gardens Mews, W2

Hyde Park Gardens, W2

Hyde Park Place, W2

Hyde Park Square Mews, W2

Hyde Park Square, W2

Hyde Park Street, W2

Hyde Park, W2

Agreed, but PLEASE make sure that you head for Liverpool STREET - that is the London station for trains to Harwich and other parts of East Anglia. quote]

Correct!

In the UK, NEVER adopt the lazy practice of dropping the last bit off the street name. You must always give the full street name, otherwise you will run the risk of being sent to the wrong place.

C'mon y'all.... the OP clearly knew it was Liverpool STREET STATION as he spelled it all out in his opening post. :)

C'mon y'all.... the OP clearly knew it was Liverpool STREET STATION as he spelled it all out in his opening post. :)
But it wasn't clear whether you knew.

And it is far from certain that others who are reading your post, or might do so in the future, would know the difference - all 200 miles of it.

Archived