Cruise photos since we went digital

pierces

Here are links to our "digital cruise" galleries.

We had a lot of fun taking them! (Ok...I had a lot of fun taking them and

my Wonderful Wife, Kim just had a lot of fun!)

Please enjoy!

Pacific Northwest 2007

Western Caribbean 2007

Alaska 2006

Dave & Ron's 50th Birthday Cruise 2006

Mexico 2005 - The Anniversary Cruise

Panama 2005

Western Caribbean Cruise 2005

Ensenada 2005

Alaska 2004

Mexico 2004

Eastern Caribbean 2003

Mexico 2003

Hawaii 2002

Dave

Thanks for the pictures. We are going on our very first cruise to Alaska July/08. I am sooo excited making plans I don't know how I am going to survive the next year. DH thinks I am crazy already planning what we need to take with etc. I love this site...I have found all kinds of tips and advice to make this one of the best holidays ever.

Thanks for the comments!

I always find myself searching for albums of places where we are going. I have

found people's photos that helped made up our minds between shore excursions

and some of places we weren't going that made us want to re-book!:D

Glad folks are enjoying the photos.

Dave

Well, well, well...

I guess my travel gallery doesn't qualify as a "website" as evidenced by the fact that this got moved here from the Cruise Blogs & Websites area!

I guess that since it's on PBase and contains non-cruise photos and a link to my photo-related-but-non-cruise-specific personal website, it may not be a "cruise website". But, if a picture is worth a thousand words...doesn't that sort of make it a "photo-blog"?

In looking over the rest of the posts I can see why it was moved. Oh, well...at least there wasn't a fine! ;)

Dave

Since this thread is now part of the "Photo Gallery", I added a link to the new Travel Art section.

I formatted it with a new style sheet I've been working on...let me know how you like the look of it.

Travel Art *NEW*

--------------------

Pacific Northwest 2007

Western Caribbean 2007

Alaska 2006

Dave & Ron's 50th Birthday Cruise 2006

Mexico 2005 - The Anniversary Cruise

Panama 2005

Western Caribbean Cruise 2005

Ensenada 2005

Alaska 2004

Mexico 2004

Eastern Caribbean 2003

Mexico 2003

Hawaii 2002

Dave

I was looking through your albums after clicking the link in your sig. You take some great pictures! I particularly love the pier in Cayman. I'm going to have to look for that next year. :)

If you take a tour or a cab, it's right at the end of 7-mile beach. Cabs know it and tour buses stop ther for the view. Go for it!

Glad you enjoyed the pics!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Pierces ~ Your photos are absolutely amazing! OH, how I wish I had a photographic eye.:D

Ooooooohhhh....me too, me too!

Imagine that! Look at something, say "click", and it stores the image to the card wet-wired into your brain until you get home and download!

Sorry. The darnedest things just pop into my head sometimes!

On the serious side, thanks for the kind words. I truly enjoy photography and it's gratifying when others enjoy my images.

Glad you did!

Dave

Ooooooohhhh....me too, me too!

Imagine that! Look at something, say "click", and it stores the image to the card wet-wired into your brain until you get home and download!

Sorry. The darnedest things just pop into my head sometimes!

On the serious side, thanks for the kind words. I truly enjoy photography and it's gratifying when others enjoy my images.

Glad you did!

Dave

LOL~ Glad you got it! I thought the same thing! I'll keep trying to refine my ability, but know it will be for not. I just don't have the skill, I guess. But sure am glad you do and are willing to share your images.

How the locks work, or the logistics of going from FL to CA? :confused:

Dave

HUH??? I don't know...the whole passage way travel is awesome. How long did it take? It does not look like it was much wider that the ship!!! Just absolutley FANTABULOUS pictures....

HUH??? I don't know...the whole passage way travel is awesome.

It is a fantastic feat of engineering. The locks raise the ship 70' - 80' in three stages on the Gulf side and 2 stages on the Pacific side. Gatun lake is a man-made lake and not only provides the passage between oceans, but all of the power to raise and lower the ships since there are NO PUMPS! It's all controlled by valves that fill and empty the locks with lake water using gravity. 100 years old and still a wonder!

It's kinda funny, the ladies in our group (and most, from what we could see) watched for about an hour and then went elsewhere to eat or shop. The guys stayed on the rails through the whole thing...something about big machines is seems!:D

How long did it take? It does not look like it was much wider that the ship!!!

You're right, the ship is 105' wide by 965' long and the locks are 110' wide by 1000' long, leaving a mere 30 inches on each side!

The whole passage takes about eight hours, and the cruise lines pay a hefty fee so they don't have to wait. I think the "toll" for passage runs in the $180, 000 - $200,000 range, including the priority fee. The lake itself is scenic, so for me, it's a day-long affair.

Just absolutley FANTABULOUS pictures....

I thank you! I really enjoy taking them and am glad that others enjoy viewing them.

Dave

[/size][/color][/size]

It is a fantastic feat of engineering. The locks raise the ship 70' - 80' in three stages on the Gulf side and 2 stages on the Pacific side. Gatun lake is a man-made lake and not only provides the passage between oceans, but all of the power to raise and lower the ships since there are NO PUMPS! It's all controlled by valves that fill and empty the locks with lake water using gravity. 100 years old and still a wonder! ...

You're right, the ship is 105' wide by 965' long and the locks are 110' wide by 1000' long, leaving a mere 30 inches on each side!

The whole passage takes about eight hours, and the cruise lines pay a hefty fee so they don't have to wait. I think the "toll" for passage runs in the $180, 000 - $200,000 range, including the priority fee. The lake itself is scenic, so for me, it's a day-long affair.

I thank you! I really enjoy taking them and am glad that others enjoy viewing them.

Dave

I don't want to hijack this thread but as Dave indicated, the Panama Canal is a fantastic voyage. We made the trip several years ago (2004) and here's a quick snap of the ships that preceded us through the Gatun locks. All four ships went through in the same series of locks. The larger ship was rumored to have 11 inches clearance on each side.

27191977_97d68215df_b.jpg

Pictures from the cruise can be found here:

We're off to the Baltic in less than two weeks (14 Sep 07 on the NCL Dream) and we're really looking forward to this and a very different experience from the Caribbean.

Regards -

Stoney in NoVA

WOW!!! Is all I can say...STILL!!!:D I don't know...those pics...awesome....the whole mechanical makeup of the Panama Canal~TOTALLY FANTABULOUS!!! What a feat! And the price~WHEW!!!!

I will for sure have to schedule a cruise through Panama sometime

(probably later w/o kids:rolleyes: :o :cool: :) )

What lines cruise through Panama????:confused:

WOW!!! Is all I can say...STILL!!!:D I don't know...those pics...awesome....the whole mechanical makeup of the Panama Canal~TOTALLY FANTABULOUS!!! What a feat! And the price~WHEW!!!!

I will for sure have to schedule a cruise through Panama sometime

(probably later w/o kids :o :cool: :) )

What lines cruise through Panama????:confused:

Just before the Alaska season begins in May and just after it ends in September, there are a lot of re-positioning cruises available at reasonable rates. Our first trip through was a 15-day from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego on the Vision of the Seas (RCI) in 2000 and the second was a 14-day from Miami to San Diego on the Infinity (Celebrity) in 2005. Both were fantastic.

There are also dip-trips form Florida back to Florida that go through the locks into Lake Gatun and then right back out. Those are usually 8-10 days and give you the experience of the canal without the whole transit.

BTW, on our first trip, the average was "dead" and there were, maybe, 10 kids on board. The second trip had a much younger crowd and 135 kids! It really is a sight to see and can be made into quite a history lesson if you read up on it a bit beforehand. Celebrity had a historian on board that gave an hours-long narration of the history of the canal over the PA as we passed through it and ran programming from the History Channel on the cabin TVs before and after the passage.

Absolutely worth the trip! Where else could you see this from the promenade deck?

large.jpg

Dave

Pierces, your photos are a joy to look at. You have such a wonderful eye. Your compositions are fantastic and original, and your color and exposure is textbook. I learn a lot from looking at your photos.

Based on the content of your own galleries, I take that as high praise!

Thank you!

Dave

BTW, on our first trip, the average was "dead" and there were, maybe, 10 kids on board. The second trip had a much younger crowd and 135 kids! It really is a sight to see and can be made into quite a history lesson if you read up on it a bit beforehand.

This, all in all is very true.... I think I like the thought of an EDICATIONAL CRUISE!! :rolleyes:

Absolutely worth the trip! Where else could you see this from the promenade deck?

large.jpg

Dave

LOL! yeah that is a funny sight to see!!!!! I will definately have to keep that in mind for later cruisng...:D

Archived