Cruise photos since we went digital

pierces

My wonderful wife tonight took me to Best Buy to look at the cameras and get one. As we were looking at the Rebel XTi, she says "Why don't you want the more expensive ones?" :eek: So after some deliberation, we decided to take the 40D. Am I getting WAY more than I need? My thinking was the 28-105 IS lens alone is MUCH more versatile than the 18-55 that comes with the Rebel. After telling the clerk who helped us that was what we wanted, he tells us he doesn't have one in stock. I did my own eye roll. We found a few other local stores that show stock, so we picked up a few accessories and left. I just ordered it for in store pick up from the store next door to my office. So now I have a few questions about CF. I got a SanDisk Ultra II 2 gig card because they had a great sale ($35 and the 1 gig was $40) Will this card be fast enough to do the 6.5 fps? Should I just cough up the extra dough and get a Lexar pro 2 gig ($63) or a pair of 1 gigs ($45) I always like having multiple smaller cards to reduce the damage should one fail.

So that's my story. I feel like one lucky guy right now! And I'm very excited for lunch tomorrow to go pick this bad boy up!

My wonderful wife tonight took me to Best Buy to look at the cameras and get one. As we were looking at the Rebel XTi, she says "Why don't you want the more expensive ones?" :eek: So after some deliberation, we decided to take the 40D. Am I getting WAY more than I need? My thinking was the 28-105 IS lens alone is MUCH more versatile than the 18-55 that comes with the Rebel. After telling the clerk who helped us that was what we wanted, he tells us he doesn't have one in stock. I did my own eye roll. We found a few other local stores that show stock, so we picked up a few accessories and left. I just ordered it for in store pick up from the store next door to my office. So now I have a few questions about CF. I got a SanDisk Ultra II 2 gig card because they had a great sale ($35 and the 1 gig was $40) Will this card be fast enough to do the 6.5 fps? Should I just cough up the extra dough and get a Lexar pro 2 gig ($63) or a pair of 1 gigs ($45) I always like having multiple smaller cards to reduce the damage should one fail.

So that's my story. I feel like one lucky guy right now! And I'm very excited for lunch tomorrow to go pick this bad boy up!

Congrats! That is one great piece of hardware. Both lenses are good, but keep in mind that the 1.6x crop factor makes the 28-108 equal to a 45-170. Good on the long end, but not very wide.

The CF card isn't the limitation got 6.5 fps, the buffer in the camera is and the 40D will shoot at that speed with any card. The difference is the number of shots you can take at that speed before the buffer is full of data it hasn't written to the card yet. The faster the card (in a camera that has a fast write) the more shots you can take before the camera slows down to flush the buffer.

On another thread, I just posted that Amazon has Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB cards for <$90. These are VERY fast and very reliable. I have an 4GB Extreme IV and it will download at 4x the speed of my Ultra II cards.

You just bought the farm...don't cheap out on the horses!:D

Again, congrats!

Happy shooting!

Dave

Thanks. I may have to pick one of those (or the 2 gig for $50) up.

I didn't know it was a buffer in the camera dictating the speed and capacity for burst mode. I've been reading more this morning. Honestly I didn't know much about the 40D last night and was surprised when my wife suggested it. So I decided on it based solely on what the clerk told me and then did my own research last night and this morning. I'm definitely going with the 40D. Just got confirmation from Best Buy that it's ready for pick up!

I made a mistake last night here too. The lens is now 28-105, rather 28-135. :)

Thanks. I may have to pick one of those (or the 2 gig for $50) up.

I didn't know it was a buffer in the camera dictating the speed and capacity for burst mode. I've been reading more this morning. Honestly I didn't know much about the 40D last night and was surprised when my wife suggested it. So I decided on it based solely on what the clerk told me and then did my own research last night and this morning. I'm definitely going with the 40D. Just got confirmation from Best Buy that it's ready for pick up!

I made a mistake last night here too. The lens is now 28-105, rather 28-135. :)

The buffer is the main limit to FPS and card speed can affect the number of shots before slowdown, but there are other factors that come into play. The sheer mechanical feat of flipping the mirror up out of the way, firing the shutter and returning the mirror to the viewing position at over six times a second is rather impressive.

The 40D is not a revolutionary camera, but rather the result of years of refinement in the EOS advanced amateur line. It is a solid performer (outstanding, really) with much sturdier construction than the XT series cameras. The shutter is rated at over 100,000 cycles and the body is a magnesium alloy rather than polycarbonate.

I can't imagine you'll regret the decision...at least until you find out how much better the Canon "L" glass is! (Cameras are the cheap part of a system!);)

Here's my hint for starting out and building a system: Buy what you need, use what you have and have fun doing it!

Photography has had a very positive effect on my life and has probably kept me off of the shrink's couch...I figure the ROI on that alone has paid for my equipment!:D

Enjoy!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
The buffer is the main limit to FPS and card speed can affect the number of shots before slowdown, but there are other factors that come into play. The sheer mechanical feat of flipping the mirror up out of the way, firing the shutter and returning the mirror to the viewing position at over six times a second is rather impressive.

The 40D is not a revolutionary camera, but rather the result of years of refinement in the EOS advanced amateur line. It is a solid performer (outstanding, really) with much sturdier construction than the XT series cameras. The shutter is rated at over 100,000 cycles and the body is a magnesium alloy rather than polycarbonate.

I can't imagine you'll regret the decision...at least until you find out how much better the Canon "L" glass is! (Cameras are the cheap part of a system!);)

Here's my hint for starting out and building a system: Buy what you need, use what you have and have fun doing it!

Photography has had a very positive effect on my life and has probably kept me off of the shrink's couch...I figure the ROI on that alone has paid for my equipment!:D

Enjoy!

Dave

My 40D went back last night because I kept getting Err99 at the worst times. I got it a few times the first day I had it, but I haven't gotten it all week so I wrote it off to user error. Then Friday I was at a wedding and there it was again. After the wedding, it didn't do it again all weekend. I decided I didn't want to keep worrying about getting it again. Of course Best Buy didn't have anymore. This allowed me to get them to return it though and I was free to make different choices now. After contemplating the 400D with the 17-85 IS and the 70-300 IS all at once, I decided to stick with the 40D, but got the body only with the 17-85 IS lens. One of the reasons I wanted to go to a DSLR was to have some wide angle options, and I was finding that the 28-135 cheated me on that a bit. I can't wait for it to come in now!!! I should have it Wednesday.

• 4 weeks later...
Just added a few to the Travel Art gallery.

Click here:

Travel Art

Tweaked the style of the gallery as well. I'd appreciate it if a few of you PBase users would take a peek and let me know what you think....

Thanks,

Dave

Great photos - however, I found that the red writing on the blue background is virtually impossible to read (unless you highlight it with the mouse) :(

Dave,

suggest using white text on Blue background since the red is difficult to read. Do like the changes otherwise. Good work!

Huh!?!?

The gallery looks like this on my browser:

medium.jpg

What browser version are you folks using?

Dave

I may have to install Firefox to test changes before posting. I use Front Page for style sheet creation on PBase and for everything on my PPTPhoto.com site. I hope they don't look like crap to all Firefox users.

Anyone browsing on a Mac with Safari?

Dave

I may have to install Firefox to test changes before posting. I use Front Page for style sheet creation on PBase and for everything on my PPTPhoto.com site. I hope they don't look like crap to all Firefox users.

Dave

I'm not on a Mac, but I looked before on Firefox and it was only the main featured photo that came up with the different colored background and text. Everything else appeared as it does in IE 6.0. Will try to remember later to look at it with my other machine with Vista.

I'm not on a Mac, but I looked before on Firefox and it was only the main featured photo that came up with the different colored background and text. Everything else appeared as it does in IE 6.0. Will try to remember later to look at it with my other machine with Vista.

The photo slideshow at the top is a PBAse site feature so I don't have a lot of control over it. I'll play with it as see if it needs to be formatted separately from the style sheet.

Thanks for the input!

Dave

I had the same experience with Firefox, Dave...sorry that I didn't include that in my first message. Did you mean for the text in the featured picture sidebar to be shadowed? It's a bit difficult to read in IE.

Thanks.

I'm probably going to drop the slideshow. It seems to still be a bit buggy. I like the shadow effect, but it is a little distracting at smaller font sizes.

Good info!

Dave

Dave

Dave,

I surf with an iMac using Safari. With the great color saturation and resolution on the Mac monitors - your photos look AWESOME :eek: The colors on your website are just fine when viewed in Safari.

Thanks for the tip on adding frames to your photos - I may have to go out and buy photoshop :)

Keep on postin' - I've enjoyed them all - they are great inspiration!

Dave,

I surf with an iMac using Safari. With the great color saturation and resolution on the Mac monitors - your photos look AWESOME :eek: The colors on your website are just fine when viewed in Safari.

Thanks for the tip on adding frames to your photos - I may have to go out and buy photoshop :)

Keep on postin' - I've enjoyed them all - they are great inspiration!

Thanks for your input and the kind words!

I'm glad you get to appreciate the colors! My Maxxum 7D and now the Sony A700 capture very accurate colors and I take care to process them gently (if at all). I am on a very burly Vista machine and process the photos on a Viewsonic Pro LCD that I calibrate monthly, so it's good to hear that they come through. Though I'm a PC guy, I've always regarded the Mac monitors as some of the best out there. I have an ATI X1950 card that will support up to 2560x1920 and I'm trying hard to convince my Wonderful Wife that the Apple 30" Cinema display is cheaper than Lazik surgery! :D No joy so far, but if the price keeps coming down...??

BTW, you can do the same frame thing with Photoshop Elements at 1/6th the price!

Thanks again!

Dave

Archived