Ballantyne Pier

Our cruise ship will disembark on June 6th at Ballantyne Pier. I have heard horror stories about people waiting in line for hours to get a cab---WHY? We disembarked at Canada Place last year and it was a piece-of-cake--no waiting for cabs.

I am thinking that we should self-disembark in order to beat the crowds for taxis? Good thinking - or won't do any good?

Thanks for your thoughts.

The ability of taxis to reach the dock to pick up passengers is definitely relative to the # & size of ships docked and disembarking passengers all at the same time.

At Ballentyne Pier there is only 1 ship at a time so you should be OK.

The ability of taxis to reach the dock to pick up passengers is definitely relative to the # & size of ships docked and disembarking passengers all at the same time.

At Ballentyne Pier there is only 1 ship at a time so you should be OK.

Thank you for your response. The reason I am concerned is people are saying that they have had to wait as much as 3 hours for a cab and I just can't figure that one out. You would think that things would be a little more organized on disembarkation day.

I can't really help you out too much, except offer some reasoning for the lack of taxi's. The "B" Dock unlike Canada place is located among the industrial shipping piers and is highly secured. One of two things might be happening security might be limiting taxis and/or taxi drivers here want the quick buck and might not care to wait for security. It's just an idea since there has been local problems with cabs denying rides to people who aren't going where they will make the most money. Hope things go well, and enjoy your cruise!

We picked up friends at Ballentine pier last Saturday and there were no line ups for cabs at all. I think the long lineups were at Canada Place when three large ships all came in at the same time. You can check the website of the Port of Vancouver. They post an Alaska Cruise Schedule. You can also call a private limo company. There are 8 of us using a "van" on August 17th and were charged $90.00 to get from Canada Place to Richmond not far from the airport. There will be no waiting as the van will wait for us to come off. There are a lot of companies in Vancouver but I've had the best success with Star Limousine. Good luck!

Fisherwoman :)

We picked up friends at Ballentine pier last Saturday and there were no line ups for cabs at all. I think the long lineups were at Canada Place when three large ships all came in at the same time. You can check the website of the Port of Vancouver. They post an Alaska Cruise Schedule. You can also call a private limo company. There are 8 of us using a "van" on August 17th and were charged $90.00 to get from Canada Place to Richmond not far from the airport. There will be no waiting as the van will wait for us to come off. There are a lot of companies in Vancouver but I've had the best success with Star Limousine. Good luck!

Fisherwoman :)

Thanks for the limo suggestion. Unfortunately, we are only two people and it would not be cost-efficient for us to rent one as we are only going to a hotel a few miles from the pier.

Do you remember about what time you were at the pier? Just curious as you said there was no line for cabs.

I have been told that only one ship docks at Ballantyne at any given time so that is what has me baffled.

I can't really help you out too much, except offer some reasoning for the lack of taxi's. The "B" Dock unlike Canada place is located among the industrial shipping piers and is highly secured. One of two things might be happening security might be limiting taxis and/or taxi drivers here want the quick buck and might not care to wait for security. It's just an idea since there has been local problems with cabs denying rides to people who aren't going where they will make the most money. Hope things go well, and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for your reply. Your comment makes some sense, but you know what - I will never cruise on a ship that uses this pier again. It is not the government's fault - I am all for Homeland Security. I blame the cruise lines for not doing a better job of servicing its cruisers.

"I blame the cruise lines for not doing a better job of servicing its cruisers."

Is the lack of taxis a cruise line fault - i think not - Vancouver is woefully lacking in taxis - it just increased the number of licenses by over a hundred but still needs several hundred more - most taxis using the port regularly for transporting longshoremen etc have a port security pass and will be able to breeze through the security gate with little wait.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis is correct. Nothing at all to do with A) Cruise line b) Security. It is the fault of or at least caused by the City of Vancouver's taxi licensing process which is of course political.

It's easy to get to Ballantyne via automobile although it is more Industrial than say Canada Place. No problem mon.

But getting a taxi can be difficult especially if there are more ships over at Canada Place. I also recommend making a reservation with a Limo service. Check YVR website for other transportation options even if you are not going to the airport.

I can see your point to SOME degree - not entirely. As a long time cruiser, I feel the cruise line should inform its cruisers of transportation pros & cons up front so arrangements can be made in a timely manner. They tell you what to wear on the ship, what time you can dine, why not give transportation information. I didn't even know that cab problems existed until people on the Alaska Board told me about it. Last year I disembarked at Canada Place and it was a breeze. I just assumed that Ballantyne was the same -- looks like I am wrong. Had I known about the cab problems that exist at Ballantyne, I would not have booked my cruise with a line that uses that pier.

I have been checking transportation options and a limo is not cost effective - there are only two of us. We are not going straight to the airport upon disembarkation so that rules out busses or shuttles. All we need is a cab to get us from Ballantyne to the downtown Hyatt.

Looks like I will be checking into a rental car. Thank God someone came forward on the Alaska Board and spoke up about the cabs. If I had to wait in line for 3 hours (like one person did) I would not be a happy camper.

Frankly we had the same concerns as you as we have previously gotten off at Canada Place. So this past May we were on a cruise that ended at Ballentyne Pier. I had also read about the taxi problem so we simply bought a transfer from Celebrity and got to the airport in plenty of time. It was extremely easy, did not have to worry about catching a cab. Go to the airport where we picked up our luggage, went through customs, checking in etc. Not a problem at all.

Marilyn

I can see your point to SOME degree - not entirely. As a long time cruiser, I feel the cruise line should inform its cruisers of transportation pros & cons up front so arrangements can be made in a timely manner. They tell you what to wear on the ship, what time you can dine, why not give transportation information. I didn't even know that cab problems existed until people on the Alaska Board told me about it. Last year I disembarked at Canada Place and it was a breeze. I just assumed that Ballantyne was the same -- looks like I am wrong. Had I known about the cab problems that exist at Ballantyne, I would not have booked my cruise with a line that uses that pier.

I have been checking transportation options and a limo is not cost effective - there are only two of us. We are not going straight to the airport upon disembarkation so that rules out busses or shuttles. All we need is a cab to get us from Ballantyne to the downtown Hyatt.

Looks like I will be checking into a rental car. Thank God someone came forward on the Alaska Board and spoke up about the cabs. If I had to wait in line for 3 hours (like one person did) I would not be a happy camper.

Thats why there are these boards. Likely by the time you travel the new Taxi licenses that were brought on as a result of High profile the taxi troubles related here and other places will have fixed the situation. You still have 9 months to go... eh?? The shortage of taxis is affecting both Canada Place and Ballantyne although I have a sense lately that it is getting better.

I would also like to comment that although I too wish that Cruise Lines would tell us and keep us informed of all the changes and possible situations that could effect us in our travels as a long time cruiser I know it is impossible. Ship happens.

Now your TA is a different matter.

Enjoy your planning. Glad we could help a bit.

Thats why there are these boards. Likely by the time you travel the new Taxi licenses that were brought on as a result of High profile the taxi troubles related here and other places will have fixed the situation. You still have 9 months to go... eh?? The shortage of taxis is affecting both Canada Place and Ballantyne although I have a sense lately that it is getting better.

I would also like to comment that although I too wish that Cruise Lines would tell us and keep us informed of all the changes and possible situations that could effect us in our travels as a long time cruiser I know it is impossible. Ship happens.

Now your TA is a different matter.

Enjoy your planning. Glad we could help a bit.

I'll be keeping an eye on the situation. For now, I am going to reserve a car and will cancel if the taxi situation improves. :)

Frankly we had the same concerns as you as we have previously gotten off at Canada Place. So this past May we were on a cruise that ended at Ballentyne Pier. I had also read about the taxi problem so we simply bought a transfer from Celebrity and got to the airport in plenty of time. It was extremely easy, did not have to worry about catching a cab. Go to the airport where we picked up our luggage, went through customs, checking in etc. Not a problem at all.

Marilyn

I'm glad that you were able to find a solution to alleviate your taxi concern. Unfortunately for us, we can't do a transfer because we have an independent overnight stay in Vancouver. Win some - you loose some. I am now renting a car upon disembarking thereby solving our problem.

We're arriving at Ballantyne on 9/7 via the Radiance. We're driving from Vancouver to Seattle. We originally thought we would be docking at Canada Place, (we're renting from the Alamo office located there) but found out today that isn't the case. Unfortunately there are no rental offices at Ballantayne. I've been trying to find the easiest way to get from Ballantyne to Canada Place since. People at the toll-free Alamo line said they don't see that shuttles are provided, but told me to check directly with the Vancouver office.

Does anyone have information on the car rental situation? Thanks.

We're arriving at Ballantyne on 9/7 via the Radiance. We're driving from Vancouver to Seattle. We originally thought we would be docking at Canada Place, (we're renting from the Alamo office located there) but found out today that isn't the case. Unfortunately there are no rental offices at Ballantayne. I've been trying to find the easiest way to get from Ballantyne to Canada Place since. People at the toll-free Alamo line said they don't see that shuttles are provided, but told me to check directly with the Vancouver office.

Does anyone have information on the car rental situation? Thanks.

I will be on the Radiance next May. I have made rental car arrangements with Avis. I was told that Avis has a shuttle at Ballantyne that will take us over to their office on Hornby (corner of Hornby and W. Georgia) so we can pick up the car. If you are not getting what you need from the toll-free Alamo office I would call the Vancouver office. When I was looking at the Avis locations there was a notation that the office at Hornby was the one that serviced the cruise terminals. Perhaps you could find something like that for the Vancouver listings. Also, did you post your question on the Alaska port board to see is someone might have used Alamo when they disembarked?

Good luck.

Karlos - yes Alamo has a shuttle bus from ballantyne. They will shuttle you to the downtown location on West Georgia rather than Canada Place, but you'll be off & on your way faster that way anyways. They regularly meet all the ships that dock at Ballantyne. btw. National and Alamo are merged so take either a national or an alamo shuttle bus..gets you to the same office.

• 3 weeks later...

When our Radiance repo ended in Vancouver we docked at Ballentyne and it took about an hour and a half of standing in a winding line for a taxi. It was pretty annoying to end the cruise that way but guess that's how it goes. Unfortunately just found out that our overnighter on the Star will be docking at B - and our hotel is across from Canada Place since the Pearl is embarking from their the following day for our next cruise. Hope it isnt the hassle it was 2 years ago but at least I can be prepared since I've tried to catch a cab from Ballentyne. Any ideas what a taxi will cost from Ballentyne to Fairmont Waterfront? I know it isnt that far but it's a bit out of the way since it's the industrial area vs Canada Place. Was hoping to just get off the ship, cross the street to our hotel before doing it the opposite direction.

Any ideas what a taxi will cost from Ballentyne to Fairmont Waterfront? I know it isnt that far but it's a bit out of the way since it's the industrial area vs Canada Place. Was hoping to just get off the ship, cross the street to our hotel before doing it the opposite direction.

It should be about $10-15CAD.

Just off the Infinity on Sunday At Ballantyne. Looked to be the same as when we got on. A long winding line up for cabs. So things aren't any better on Sunday when there were also three ships in at Canada Place.

Maybe next year ????

Best bet to the airport. Cruise Line transfer or make a reservation with a limo service.

We used Cruise Park again and it worked fine. They are not so organized in their lot as years past however. They have closed off one entrance and everyone uses the remaining one as both exit and entrance. Not a big deal but some folks got blocked in for a time.

Can you use us dollars, or do we need to exchange some money at the airport for Canadian dolllars

Depends on what you plan on using it for. If it's for Taxi and tips to people in the Travel Industry US likely would be OK. Don't expect exchange from anyone other than a Bank etc. though.

To those outside the tourist Industry. Use this method.

"Would I want Canadian money at home if the situation was reversed."

Cabs take X cards as do most other places

I also heard all the horror stories about cabs at Ballantyne Pier. We carried our own luggage off at around 8:15 and were second in line for a cab. We were at the Hyatt by 8:45. It was a $10 cab ride. I paid in US dollars and was offered US dollars in change. I took Can dollars instead because we were going to be there a couple days and were going to need them.

Archived