Question about menus?

RCrpntr

We're going on the Veendam in December. A while back I remember someone posting some dinner menu's....not the Veendam... but now I can't find the thread.

Could someone possibly post a link to the thread or does anyone have dinner menu's for recent HAL cruises?

Thank you.

Robert

and another thing...maybe this will get some responses.

My wife and I are working class people. I don't wear a tie to work and she doesn't wear dresses. We can afford this cruise...but it offends me that two nights I'm supposed to wear either a Tux or a suit and tie. I don't wear them to work and I don't plan to take them on my vacation. We plan to either eat in the LIdo restaurant tor order room service those two nights. I've read many posts where people seem offended that many didn't adhere to the dress code on formal nights.

Whatever...and I'm sure I'm going to get slammed for this... but I'm paying the same as everyone else (we've reserved a Verandah) yet there are two nights that we either have to dine in the Lido restaurant... or order room service. We picked HAl because you can order from the dining room menu for room service but it doesn't seem fair to me that we are not allowed to dine in the Rotterdam Dining Room those two nights.

I'm not taking a suit and tie for this cruise and we're paying a price for it. I'm sure many will disagree. Please feel free to rip me a new one. But that's how I feel.

Best regards.

Robert

We're going on the Veendam in December. A while back I remember someone posting some dinner menu's....not the Veendam... but now I can't find the thread.

Here is a site that has a lot of menus from many cruise lines, though some are quite old.
I'm not taking a suit and tie for this cruise and we're paying a price for it. I'm sure many will disagree. Please feel free to rip me a new one. But that's how I feel.
I'm not going to "rip" you for making that choice ... but I'm not going to offer any sympathy either.

I don't wear a tie at work either, but enjoy dressing up some for cruises.

When I got married 22 years ago (later this month) a tux was a strange, cumbersome contraption, whose bowtie malfunctioned just before the ceremony. This lead to a great pic of sis-in-law coming to my rescue with a sewing kit that you just have to have at a wedding in case of crisis.

I now own a tux. I am not sure my wife has recovered from the concept. I even have 3 matching cummerbund/tie combos.

In any event, I suspect you will feel a little out of place, unless you avoid the main dining room on formal nights.

Ever thought of renting a tux for the cruise?

Robert,

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question.

Seeing that you are willing to spend your hard-earned money on this cruise, don't you think that going on this cruise when you are already offended by the dress code will impact your experience negatively?

I can't see anyone hiding in a cabin because of a dress code. You are not paying good money to seclude yourselves. You said you chose HAL because you could order room service from the dinner menu, do you really think that's sufficient reason for your expensive choice? Think about this please, being angry before you even board doesn't sound like a fun trip to me.

The posters who voiced their opinions on non code dress are mainly offended by shorts, tank tops, torn jeans, and ball caps in a formal atmosphere. i.e. people who openly flaunt not dressing.

They are not offended by men who dress conservatively in dress shirts and slacks and ladies in slacks and a nice top. Please consider options other than hiding for 2/7 of your cruise.

GN

Robert, you don't deserve to be ripped for not wanting to wear a suit on your cruise. You have the options of in cabin dining or going to the Lido on the formal nights. On the other hand you can't expect to be allowed in the Dining room on the formal nights. The passengers who choose to dress up have certain rights as well. Included is the right to participate in the event of the formal evening affair. The formal evening is not just an individual choice or event but is a group event for those who choose to participate. The formal event atmosphere particularly in the Dining Room would be diminished if casual wear was allowed. In other words for the formal event to be successful the Dining Room needs to be reserved for those wishing to participate. Its not unlike going to a Masquerade Party (which I hate) but not going in a costume. What would be the point. I would make the choice not to go and make other plans for the evening. Just as you wish your choices be respected you also must respect others choices.:) :D :D :)

My wife and I are working class people. I don't wear a tie to work and she doesn't wear dresses. We can afford this cruise...but it offends me that two nights I'm supposed to wear either a Tux or a suit and tie. I don't wear them to work and I don't plan to take them on my vacation. We plan to either eat in the LIdo restaurant tor order room service those two nights. I've read many posts where people seem offended that many didn't adhere to the dress code on formal nights.

Whatever...and I'm sure I'm going to get slammed for this... but I'm paying the same as everyone else (we've reserved a Verandah) yet there are two nights that we either have to dine in the Lido restaurant... or order room service. We picked HAl because you can order from the dining room menu for room service but it doesn't seem fair to me that we are not allowed to dine in the Rotterdam Dining Room those two nights.

Best regards.

Robert

Oh, Robert, Robert, Robert.... :)

Do not allow ANYONE on this forum to "rip you", honey.

What you actually EXPERIENCE on HAL will probably be completely different to the nonsense that you read on any forum.

DO NOT FRET.

DO NOT GET BULLIED :rolleyes: INTO CHANGING LINES.

THOSE THAT COMPLAIN ABOUT NON-EXISTENT DRESS (shorts, tank tops, torn jeans, and ball caps) in the dining room are the vocal minority....this wasn't an issue on my HAL cruise.

TRUST me.... you'll have a grand time, dear. Check out my Volendam review in my signature..... Better yet, join us on our TOPLESS CRUISE!!!! ;)

I wasn't ripping him.. just trying to inform him he has more choices on other lines.. with freestyle dining...

and NNN I may be incorrect about this but I believe I read this elsewhere regarding your dining habits.....you ate dinner in your cabin via room service?

Laura

Anyone who who informs/suggests that another cruiser hops onto another line is "ripping", Laura.

Any individual on this board, Cruise Critic, is QUITE aware of what's offered. To suggest otherwise is nothing less than crass/presumptuous.

RE: Room service..... YES. Our "dining habits" :rolleyes: have included room service on the Volendam.

I've had a "few" other cruises.....indulging in what some seem to feel is a "lovely" dining experience. Been there...done that... often.... normally.

Enjoy your future cruises, Laura. (I won't presume to suggest that you hop up to Crystal) ;)

Anyone who who informs/suggests that another cruiser hops onto another line is "ripping", Laura.

Any individual on this board, Cruise Critic, is QUITE aware of what's offered. To suggest otherwise is nothing less than crass/presumptuous.

RE: Room service..... YES. Our "dining habits" :rolleyes: have included room service on the Volendam.

I've had a "few" other cruises.....indulging in what some seem to feel is a "lovely" dining experience. Been there...done that... often.... normally.

Enjoy your future cruises, Laura. (I won't presume to suggest that you hop up to Crystal) ;)

So a suggestion is ripping? I don't see the logic behind that. To further explain myself, I didn't attack him or what he chooses to do. I did not criticize him. I made a suggestion. I am glad you have "had" other cruises. As I said, it was possible I was incorrect regarding your dining habits. Everyone has "dining habits", I hadn't read anything in regard to your other dining experiences. Therefore if you had only dined in your cabin, you couldn't honestly state what the "minority" take part in.

Some people prefer a more casual relaxed dining environment, others enjoy the formal evenings for what they are. On land it is no different than do I want to dine at Morton's or Chili's. You would dress differently for those places, wouldn't you? If the original poster doesn't care to partake in formal nights, he has limited options on HAL. I didn't assume he knew everything about every cruise line because he is a member of this board. I thought the point was to offer suggestions/opinions. NCL was my suggestion to him. NCL has an optional formal night, people wear very casual clothing, others wear gowns and tuxes. The choice is his to make, however I don't think you should assume things about people or what knowledge they have.

Laura

Yes. You were "ripping"... but remember that "ripping" is in the eyes of the beholder. :)

Actually, I've found that those (myself included) who participate on Cruise Critic are BY FAR the MINORITY.

No biggy, baby... It's so nice to embark on a ship and spend a vacation not caring about anyone or anything. The nonsense that is spewed here means NOTHING. Dress, topless sunbathing, jeans, etc.

Where are you headed next? Norwegian? WHAT FUN! :)

So a suggestion is ripping? I don't see the logic behind that. To further explain myself, I didn't attack him or what he chooses to do. I did not criticize him. I made a suggestion. I am glad you have "had" other cruises. As I said, it was possible I was incorrect regarding your dining habits. Everyone has "dining habits", I hadn't read anything in regard to your other dining experiences. Therefore if you had only dined in your cabin, you couldn't honestly state what the "minority" take part in.

Some people prefer a more casual relaxed dining environment, others enjoy the formal evenings for what they are. On land it is no different than do I want to dine at Morton's or Chili's. You would dress differently for those places, wouldn't you? If the original poster doesn't care to partake in formal nights, he has limited options on HAL. I didn't assume he knew everything about every cruise line because he is a member of this board. I thought the point was to offer suggestions/opinions. NCL was my suggestion to him. NCL has an optional formal night, people wear very casual clothing, others wear gowns and tuxes. The choice is his to make, however I don't think you should assume things about people or what knowledge they have.

Laura

Last edited by bermuda triangle : Today at 01:33 AM. quote.gif

This is a horse of a different color. ;) Thanks for the edit.

Yes. You were "ripping"... but remember that "ripping" is in the eyes of the beholder. :)

Actually, I've found that those (myself included) who participate on Cruise Critic are BY FAR the MINORITY.

No biggy, baby... It's so nice to embark on a ship and spend a vacation not caring about anyone or anything. The nonsense that is spewed here means NOTHING. Dress, topless sunbathing, jeans, etc.

Where are you headed next? Norwegian? WHAT FUN! :)

Talk about ripping...by the way according to your signature, you have only done one HAL cruise... where in fact you confirmed your non presence in the dining room.

here is a hint

read my signature

Suggesting is not "ripping". Suggesting NCL might be a better fit is not ripping.

The OP feels it is "not fair" and is "offended" that 2 nights he is expected to wear a tux or suite and tie.

Then why book this cruise? Why spend hard earned money on something that "offends" or is "unfair" ?

Suggesting is not "ripping". Suggesting NCL might be a better fit is not ripping.

The OP feels it is "not fair" and is "offended" that 2 nights he is expected to wear a tux or suite and tie.

Then why book this cruise? Why spend hard earned money on something that "offends" or is "unfair" ?

I agree with this.

I for example like cruises that are not filled up with children. If I'd book a Disney cruise (and would be offended in beforehand that the cruise is filled up with children) and someone would suggest me to switch to another cruise line I would consider that actually polite. Even more so if that person would suggest a particular cruise line that would fit me better. :)

There are soooo many cruise lines and cruising styles available at the moment. Why pick a cruise line that does not suit you?

I don't wear a tie to work and she doesn't wear dresses. We can afford this cruise...but it offends me that two nights I'm supposed to wear either a Tux or a suit and tie. I don't wear them to work and I don't plan to take them on my vacation. ...

Whatever...and I'm sure I'm going to get slammed for this... but I'm paying the same as everyone else (we've reserved a Verandah)

Robert

RCrpntr -- I too will most likely get slammed for my opinion too. Regardless, I completely understand what you are saying & how you feel.

Do you have a dark sports jacket & slacks? if so, wear those with a collared shirt or a turtleneck (which often substitutes for a shirt & tie). My husband never wore a tux on a cruise & hadn't owned a dark suit that fitted him for years. His municipal position only required slacks, tie & sports jacket. For cruise formal nights, He wore a dark navy blazer, dark dress slacks with either a shirt & tie or a turtleneck jersey (and this was years before the more casual tone of today's cruises). Re your wife & a dress -- I haven't worn a dress for at least 10 years -- dressy-looking slacks & top will do just fine for her. Most likely she has a pair of black slacks that will work quite well as dressy. & Go to the Dining Room. What's the worse that can happen -- the maitre d' will refuse you seating. He's certainly going to do so politely & discretely. But I'm willing to bet he won't do so.

Why? Because HAL & Princess are now under the same corporate umbrella. On my April '06 Princess cruise, the maitre d' chatted at my table several evenings & the question of dress code, for both informal & formal evenings, was brought up by a couple at the table. He stated quite plainly that Corporate Headquarters had issue directives to the maitre d's to NOT refuse seating to any guest regardless of how they were dressed. Of course, the "no shirt, no shoes = no service" is an acceptable level in any place serving food. But beyond that, if he obeyed his boss's orders, he could not go.

Go & Enjoy every bit of what you have purchased.

I bet you own a sport jacket or blazer and could either borrow or buy a tie before departing and fir in. Although I hope most people onboard will were formal on formal nights it just doesn't happen. On the other hand you could make a fun evening dining in your cabin or on the veranda in just your robes and really make a romantic night of it. Bring some champagne or wine you enjoy and have it before or with your meal without the corkage charge and your steward will have it chilled for you. You probably have had enough time with the stuffy cruisers like me and you can make it a fun evening. Even order double shrimp cocktails.

Best regards.

Robert

If you are so adamant in your position and already upset that you "are not allowed to dine in the Rotterdam dining room" for 2 nights due to your unwillingness to adhere to the dress code, then why did you book on HAL in the first place, when there are other lines (NCL) that don't do the "formal night" thing? I don't get it...

Personally, I wouldn't be offended at the sight of someone in non-formal attire on formal night (provided they were at least dressed tastefully-- no jeans and so-called "hero shirts"), but I would certainly be annoyed to be in the presence of someone with a chip on their shoulder over not wanting to adhere to the established formalities AS ADVERTISED by the cruise line... If it bothers you that much, then really-- you ought to book on a line with NO dress code. Seems simple enough.

Best regards.

Robert

At home I like to eat breakfast in my robe and I swim in the nude. I also sometimes wear shorts and a T-shirt to work. On the Noordam this winter I will dress in a respectful manner, wear a swimsuit and have great vacation. Isn't part of vacationing breaking out of the normal routine?

Don't talk yourself into having a bad vacation before it even starts. Life may be short, but vacation is even shorter. flashsmiley.gif.31de43407a487731eec674be1c72e23a.gif This smiley is for you NoNo

I personally would rather dine with a lady and gentleman dressed in gingham and bib overalls than with a snobbish couple in designer clothes. However I shall follow the dress code even if I don`t necessarly like it.

I personally would rather dine with a lady and gentleman dressed in gingham and bib overalls than with a snobbish couple in designer clothes. However I shall follow the dress code even if I don`t necessarly like it.

A lady and gentleman would not likely show up to a formal affair wearing gingham and bib overalls.

Archived