Just back from SB Alaska on Island Princess

Fritzie

Absolutely too fast! And to make matters worse, I have to do all my own cooking now. And dishwashing. And make my own bed. And my make my coffee. And no one is asking how he may help me. What a letdown!

Just booked for Alaska in 2008 - what was the surprise that you didn't anticipate? Weather will be iffy as far as temp and rain, I get that. But what didn't you take that you wished you had, and what didn't you do that you wished you did?........ What was your favorite?????

I'm getting married on the Island Princess July 1, 2008, Van to Seward. What was the weather like this time of year?? I am in Florida so 70 is cold to me! What was your favorite stop and why??? I'm excited and can't imagine I have to wait so long!!!

Our biggest surprise was probably the weather. I'm told the weather in Alaska can change quickly and is unpredictable. Our weather was amazing--warm (70's), sunny, no rain. Thus, I wish I had brought fewer sweaters and jeans and more capris. But to anyone going, I'd recommend packing layers and taking only half the clothes you think you'll need. We came back with several shirts/slacks never worn. Probably could have cut out a whole suitcase, really. (And do pack elastic waistband clothes for the end of the cruise--for some reason, the jeans get a little snug by then! :o)

We really liked Ketchikan--just a neat town with cool shops.

My favorite excursion was the sled dog musher's camp in Skagway.

My favorite part of our cruise was our waitstaff--eager to please, efficient and friendly. No complaints at all.

Oh, and it was very nice having a balcony--room service coffee in the morning, watching the scenery--ahhhh. Take binoculars.

You'll find the people of Alaska to be friendly and fun.

I envy those of you planning a trip! Happy planning, and have a great trip! :)

Archived