London (and Harwich) questions for 2008 cruise

Never too early to start planning...

We've booked a Constellation Baltic Cruise for late July 2008...It goes one-way, originating in Stockholm, disembarking in Harwich on Saturday, August 2...

I noticed there's a thread about a special non-stop "cruise train" from Harwich to London...Anyone know where the Station for this is in Harwich--how far from the pier? Also, the cost...and where in London it drops you off?

Now, as to hotels, they seem to be getting costlier all the time...We took a look at the Rubens at the Palace (where we stayed the last couple of visits) and it was up to 159 GBP for a "standard" double (Up from 109 our last visit in July 2005)...

Sort of as a "placeholder", I made a reservation for a couple of nights at the Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth (near the British Museum...at a mere 90 GBP per night)...What attracted me to this (other than the reasonable price) was the inclusion of the words "Air Conditioning" on their web page (A few years back, I was in London in August, staying at the Best Western Paddington Court--and discovered, in the most uncomfortable way, that, though listed as a 3 or 4 star hotel, it had NO AIR CONDITIONING!! ...and, in August, it was desperately needed)...

...Anyway, this hotel, I figured, is run by Radisson, so there must be some standards...and it, ostensibly, has air conditioning...BUT, I've been reading a few disfavorable reviews on TripAdvisor.com...Anyone here know this hotel...or have stayed there?

Of course, it being almost a year away, it's hard to find hotels and rates...I'm wondering if there's an optimal time to look...or if anyone knows of a nice hotel, well-located and with air conditioning...and at a reasonable price...that I should look into?

Thanks...

Never too early to start planning...

We've booked a Constellation Baltic Cruise for late July 2008...It goes one-way, originating in Stockholm, disembarking in Harwich on Saturday, August 2...

I noticed there's a thread about a special non-stop "cruise train" from Harwich to London...Anyone know where the Station for this is in Harwich--how far from the pier? Also, the cost...and where in London it drops you off?

Now, as to hotels, they seem to be getting costlier all the time...We took a look at the Rubens at the Palace (where we stayed the last couple of visits) and it was up to 159 GBP for a "standard" double (Up from 109 our last visit in July 2005)...

Sort of as a "placeholder", I made a reservation for a couple of nights at the Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth (near the British Museum...at a mere 90 GBP per night)...What attracted me to this (other than the reasonable price) was the inclusion of the words "Air Conditioning" on their web page (A few years back, I was in London in August, staying at the Best Western Paddington Court--and discovered, in the most uncomfortable way, that, though listed as a 3 or 4 star hotel, it had NO AIR CONDITIONING!! ...and, in August, it was desperately needed)...

...Anyway, this hotel, I figured, is run by Radisson, so there must be some standards...and it, ostensibly, has air conditioning...BUT, I've been reading a few disfavorable reviews on TripAdvisor.com...Anyone here know this hotel...or have stayed there?

Of course, it being almost a year away, it's hard to find hotels and rates...I'm wondering if there's an optimal time to look...or if anyone knows of a nice hotel, well-located and with air conditioning...and at a reasonable price...that I should look into?

Thanks...

The station for the port is Harwich International,right along side the ship,there is a regular service into Liverpool St London,web onerailway .com for times & price.Most times when there is a cruise ship,there is a direct train into London 9.15am

From Liverpool St,,take a taxi to hotel,some might suggest the U/G but not with a lot of luggage.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the special cruise train, although the convenience of a non-stop service is nice. It's only about 15 minutes or so faster than the normal trains from Harwich International to London Liverpool Street, which run direct and pretty regularly on most days of the week (no changes, even though there are stops). Same departure point, same arrival point.

Archived