Seattle to Vancouver Driving MUST READ !

kellanrevere

From Aug. 10 until Aug. 29 Interstate 5 (major route) from SeaTac will be closed . I have been told that you can expect to add 3 to 5 hours to your travel time.

This won't effect our Alaskan cruise but I am facing it when I travel up a week earlier to a dog show...

Good luck to everyone..

Here is a link..

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/theclog/2007/08/flextime_telecommuting_alterna_1.html

Do people normally fly to vancouver, or to seattle and drive up to vancouver to board the cruise there? I just want to know the pros and cons of both options. Thanks

Often, roundtrip airfare to Seattle is cheaper than Vancouver, which is the only reason I can think people would fly to SEA when the cruise is leaving YVR. Just a guess (since our cruise is one way Whittier-YVR, this isn't a concern for us....this time at least:p )

My brother and girlfriend are flying into Portland,OR and traveling up with us. Airfare was extremely different. $270 vs $690 per person. We are taking Amtrak a week after construction so the drive won't be a problem for us.

Driving in or thru Seattle (no offense to anyone living there :D) can be the pits at any time but this construction will make it worse. Hope the heads up will make it a little easier for our CC friends.

If you are at any of the cruise piers and head north off the main streets just north of pier 66 and get on the freeway there, there should be no problem heading north. The traffic issues will be south of the city to just north of down town after that just normal bogged down Seattle traffic. Nothing new there. :)

This might be true ,Cruzin Tom, but if someone is flying into SEATAC they will have to go right thru it to cruise out of Vancouver. If you are using SEATAC for any cruise during those dates you will be effected .

Personally I am allowing 3 hours to get from Olympia WA to Redmond WA. I'm not going thru Seattle but they are advising that all alternate routes should expect to be clogged. Better safe than sorry.

From Aug. 10 until Aug. 29 Interstate 5 (major route) from SeaTac will be closed . I have been told that you can expect to add 3 to 5 hours to your travel time.

This won't effect our Alaskan cruise but I am facing it when I travel up a week earlier to a dog show...

Good luck to everyone..

Here is a link..

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/theclog/2007/08/flextime_telecommuting_alterna_1.html

Thanks for the heads up. I looked at the link, but I couldn't tell where the impact is. We're driving from Portland to Seattle on Saturday (Aug 11)--will part of I-5 be closed on that route? We're staying near the airport and flying out Sunday.

Thanks!

Jayne

Here is what I could find

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/DA4A127C-04C8-4043-A9C0-95ABE7828B7A/0/stage1_08092007.pdf

This is stage 1 and will be going on during your trip.

I am far from an expert on this... I have 4 or 5 girlfriends up in that area who are warning me about it because of the dog show the weekend of Aug 24-26. I have driven this route many times and anyone from these parts knows it can be trying at best. I wanted to warn cruisers not familiar with this area to allow extra time..

Here is what I could find

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/DA4A127C-04C8-4043-A9C0-95ABE7828B7A/0/stage1_08092007.pdf

This is stage 1 and will be going on during your trip.

I am far from an expert on this... I have 4 or 5 girlfriends up in that area who are warning me about it because of the dog show the weekend of Aug 24-26. I have driven this route many times and anyone from these parts knows it can be trying at best. I wanted to warn cruisers not familiar with this area to allow extra time..

Thank you, Kelly. Looks like we better leave a little early than we planned. :cool: I appreciate the help. You're absolutely right--Seattle traffic is never easy, and this certainly isn't going to help!

Thanks!

Jayne

This might be true ,Cruzin Tom, but if someone is flying into SEATAC they will have to go right thru it to cruise out of Vancouver. If you are using SEATAC for any cruise during those dates you will be effected .

Personally I am allowing 3 hours to get from Olympia WA to Redmond WA. I'm not going thru Seattle but they are advising that all alternate routes should expect to be clogged. Better safe than sorry.

I-5 will not be closed, only 3 of the 5 lanes which is pretty much the same thing. It's a short 3? mile section just south of the I 5/I 90 interchange but the backup is expected to go well south.

For those people flying into SeaTac but driving to Vancouver for a cruise, ignore i-5 and get on i-405 instead going up the east side of Lake Washington and bypassing Seattle entirely. Traffic is also expected to be heavy on I-405 but there's an HOV lane for cars containing two or more people which should help. I-405 connects with I-5 north of Seattle.

Archived