"No jeans" rule

Hi. We are finishing up packing for an early departure for our Alaska trip on the Star next Sunday. I know that jeans are officially not OK in the dining rooms at night, but do a percentage of passengers wear them? I was hoping Alaska might be a bit more casual. I'm thinking of taking some very nice new designer jeans with nice shirts and sweaters for us to wear a couple of evenings that would definitely fit the "resort casual" dress code at any nice resort. Would we feel out of place?

I would appreciate hearing from any fellow CC'ers who have recently been on the Star to Alaska who might have a feel for this.

Thanks,

Jeri

If your weather is anything like mine was a couple of weeks ago you will not be wanting to wear jeans or sweaters.. it was hot :D

I was on the Sun and saw many people in Jeans in the buffet area, but not the dining room.

Have a great trip

Read it as "Denim", not just jeans. My wife had on a conservative blazer made of denim and she was barred from restaurant. Pointed out that the "instructions" said jeans not denim, but that cut no ice.

This was not a cowboy jacket, no decoration, etc, just an LLBean jblazer made of denim. You will see all kinds of dress-down, sloppy attire, but anything goes as long as it is not made of denim.

Cruise 'n Shopper:

We saw just a few people wearing jeans to dinner in dining areas on the Star, most of them at Endless Summer (maybe because of the Tex-Mex theme, I thought) even though the same policy applied there. The dining room is more casual at breakfast and lunch, and the buffet is always pretty casual.

Happy sailing on the Star!

Hi. We are finishing up packing for an early departure for our Alaska trip on the Star next Sunday. I know that jeans are officially not OK in the dining rooms at night' date=' but do a percentage of passengers wear them? I was hoping Alaska might be a bit more casual. I'm thinking of taking some very nice new designer jeans with nice shirts and sweaters for us to wear a couple of evenings that would definitely fit the "resort casual" dress code at any nice resort. Would we feel out of place?

I would appreciate hearing from any fellow CC'ers who have recently been on the Star to Alaska who might have a feel for this.

Thanks,

Jeri[/quote']

Jeri, don't even try it. You might be lucky and get a wait person who doesn't notice, but you would probably feel out of place anyway. Yes, Alaska is a little more casual but the policy is still no Jeans, tub tops, t shirts or shorts after 5pm in the dining room. Be safe, wear capris or slacks and the guys will be fine in Khakis or dockers with polo type shirts or sweathers depending on the weather. NMNita

If you have any, you might be able to get away with jeans if they aren't blue denim. A friend of ours has black ones that she routinely wears, and no one has ever questioned them. We've always stuck more to khaki/docker type pants at dinner, but that is our normal work attire so we already have plenty.

There is a thread on another board about the dress code for freestyle. Did you know that NCL allows anything to be worn in the dining rooms? Even on formal night! One poster said she was appalled by the cutoffs and tank tops and that no one dressed nicely for formal night. Others commented on how freestyle cruisers do not Know how to dress or behave. I refrained from posting...

NOW COME ON- this thread proves that jeans are not even allowed. Where do people dream up these crazy stories? I don't study what everyone is wearing, but I might notice cutoffs in the dining room and never saw that on the Sun:)

Almost everyone was dressed up for formal night, with several tuxes and cocktail dresses, on the other nights it was dockers, polos, and sundresses. Basically the same as I've seen on other cruise lines. I think most people even used silverware instead of their hands-- Imagine that...;)

There is a thread on another board about the dress code for freestyle. Did you know that NCL allows anything to be worn in the dining rooms? Even on formal night! One poster said she was appalled by the cutoffs and tank tops and that no one dressed nicely for formal night. Others commented on how freestyle cruisers do not Know how to dress or behave. I refrained from posting...

NOW COME ON- this thread proves that jeans are not even allowed. Where do people dream up these crazy stories? I don't study what everyone is wearing, but I might notice cutoffs in the dining room and never saw that on the Sun:)

Almost everyone was dressed up for formal night, with several tuxes and cocktail dresses, on the other nights it was dockers, polos, and sundresses. Basically the same as I've seen on other cruise lines. I think most people even used silverware instead of their hands-- Imagine that...;)

Glad you refrained from posting, glad I didn't see the thread. Me and my mouth would have had something to say. Like you I don't pay total attention, but cut offs, jeans or T shirts I would notice! Some people get on these boards and say anything that comes to their mind. You know maybe they should become authors. They could get paid for using their vivid imaginations. NMNita

One poster said she was appalled by the cutoffs and tank tops and that no one dressed nicely for formal night.
That poster should have been standing in line behind us at the formal night dining room on the Sun last year. We somehow missed the notice about which restaurant would be formal, ended up at the formal dining room dressed reasonably nicely (slacks and nice shirt/top) but not formally and we were promptly turned away. We were directed to the other main dining room and even there we were put in a small back room with several other "informals" and a curtain was kept closed to separate our room from the main dining area! :o

On formal night last year, a woman in the group in front of us was wearing pants to the "formal dining room" Mind you, they were very fancily decorated pants with a matching jacket (and probably pretty expensive) but they were like capri cut. I was surprised that she came to the formal dining room dressed like that. They did let her in with her group.

There were definately MANY people dressed up for dinner and the lines for pictures were very long. I skipped it because I didn't want to waste time in the line. There were definately no jeans, cut offs, or tank tops!!

Emi

I wish I could find that thread- I think it was on RCI but I'm all over these boards so who knows where I saw it. I don't even think the topic was dress code, it may have been compare this line vs that line. Of course, NCL is always ripped apart as a third world cruise line.

As long as the others keep thinking we are slack-jawed yokels on NCL- we can get those good upgrades!!

I have seen a few people turned away from the SEA dining room who were wearing shorts, etc. But on our cruise last November, the last nite of the cruise was lobster nite. We had had very rough seas with alot of people sick(myself included), but I was not about to miss lobster. Dress in the dining room that nite was very very casual. I felt overdressed in a black shift like dress. So, what is acceptable may depend on the circumstances.

I did see one young man asked to leave who was wearing shorts. He sat down at a table with four adults at the other end and the waiter went over to him and quietly told him about the dress code. He did leave but returned with two other teenagers who were wearing the same baggy shorts like his. Turns out they were the four adults children, so they were allowed to stay. The waiter came over and aplogized to us for their attire. I felt kind of sorry for him....he was just trying to do his job and keep to required dining room attire. Then again, there were not very many people dining that nite....more lobster for us! :D

I have seen a few people turned away from the SEA dining room who were wearing shorts, etc. But on our cruise last November, the last nite of the cruise was lobster nite. We had had very rough seas with alot of people sick(myself included), but I was not about to miss lobster. Dress in the dining room that nite was very very casual. I felt overdressed in a black shift like dress. So, what is acceptable may depend on the circumstances.

I did see one young man asked to leave who was wearing shorts. He sat down at a table with four adults at the other end and the waiter went over to him and quietly told him about the dress code. He did leave but returned with two other teenagers who were wearing the same baggy shorts like his. Turns out they were the four adults children, so they were allowed to stay. The waiter came over and aplogized to us for their attire. I felt kind of sorry for him....he was just trying to do his job and keep to required dining room attire. Then again, there were not very many people dining that nite....more lobster for us! :D

I do imagine there are exceptions to the rule: rough seas and the last night can make a difference in what is acceptable. I do not think short should ever be allowed at dinner. The better all inclusives do not allow shorts in their better dining rooms. Dinner on any cruise is supposed to a little special, not like eating at Micky Ds or something. NMNita

Did you know that NCL allows anything to be worn in the dining rooms? Even on formal night!

Princess doesn't necessarily hold to their more formal dress code, so why should NCL be any different? In fact, they seem to hold to the rules (e.g., no jeans, only collard shirts, etc.) from what I have heard.

When aboard the Star Princess last summer, we mentioned to the head waiter that we might not make it to dinner because we'd be getting back late from an excursion and wouldn't have time to dress appropriately. He made it very clear to come to the formal dining room no matter how we were dressed and he would seat us. When I questioned him further, he assured me that they would not refuse service to anyone even if they did not follow the posted dress code for the evening. Not what I expected.

Archived