Where would be the Most Romantic place to:

redcc55

Propose Marriage to my Lady????

The time is right, I've got the ring, we're going to Hawaii for the first time.

Best Time of Day and Place on either Kauai, Hawaii or Maui???

Please, I'm really looking for help. :)

Thanks in advance.

Red

At your terrace table at Cafe Hanalei at the Princeville Hotel with a full view of Bali Hai. Whether you stay at the hotel or not (we did, for our post cruise honeymoon), I thought it was one of the most romantic magical places on earth.

I think I would vote for Kauai also, but really there is no wrong island. I was thinking about you driving up the Waimea Canyon Road all the way to the end at the Na Pali Coast overview point. Stunning views, probably one of the most photographed place in Hawaii. Best of luck wherever you choose!

• Administrators

The two most romantic memories of our Hawaii trip are 1) sunrise at Haleakala on Maui (that one might be a tough nut to sell if your intended isn't a morning person -- we had to get up at 2 AM to be on the mountaintop to watch the sunrise -- but once we were there, it was breathtaking, humbling, and a great reminder that each new day is a "new beginning"); or 2) the sail by of the Napali coast on Kauai. We watched it from our balcony cabin, and you can tell by our photos that we were a little bit silly (weird perspective "self-portraits" from our digital camera, etc) and still... being with the person you love most in the world, looking at a view only a small percentage of the people on the planet have seen, of cliffs that seem "eternal" and yet knowing that someday (long after we are gone) they will subside into the ocean... it was very moving.

Another suggestion I'd offer is this -- carry the ring with you -- and at some sudden, unexpected moment that either moves or amazes both of you (we had several of those during our trip -- one example... as our plane landed at Oahu we both had tears in our eyes, knowing a dream was about to come true), OR at a moment where you both suddenly realize that something is amazingly funny and you collapse into giggles (like for us when we saw a fellow tourist pick up a rather risque ashtray in the shape of male anatomy, asking "what is thi..." and realizing what it was and hastily putting it down) -- produce the ring and say "for all the reasons I love you, especially your sense of humor, will you marry me?". Of course, you'll have to swallow your giggles to do that. :)

Last suggestion, book the romance package on your cruise ($79 on NCL, it includes a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in your cabin at sailing, a free photo, canapes, a cake and champagne party, and (this is the good part) a dinner for two at Le Bistro with a bottle of wine). Either at sailaway (so you can celebrate engagement the entire cruise) or at your LeBistro dinner -- pop the question.

Of those, I like the last two best (especially the spontaneous one -- Hawaii was filled with spontaneous moments!) In any event, I know it will be an unforgettable occasion for you both, and I wish you much aloha on your vacation and in your life together as husband and wife.

Thanks to you all for your thoughtful advice and kind comments.

I'll use your insight wisely. I'mm leaning toward the NaPali coast.

And I'll let you know if she says Yes!;)

red

That is where my son proposed..somewhere near Kei Beach. It was February, so it was NOT aboard a sailboat!

My vote is the Hano Hano room on top of the Sheraton Waikiki at sunset facing Diamond Head. DH and I still talk about our dinner even after 7 years.

Have a wonderful evening, I think you're on our cruise...PoAm 8/25?

Good luck and I'm sure congrats!!!!!!

Thanks to you all for your thoughtful advice and kind comments.

I'll use your insight wisely. I'mm leaning toward the NaPali coast.

And I'll let you know if she says Yes!;)

red

How could she not say yes to someone as sweet and romantic as you!

I vote for Kauai as well. It's paradise!

I vote for the Hot Air Balloon, but at either sunrise or sunset and bring a bottle of Champagne with you. I will be in Honolulu on the 25 of this month, so if I see a hot air balloon at sunset (I don't arrive till 2 PM) I will wave to you and toast you both!

Wherever you do it, think of all the wonderful anniversaries you can spend in Hawaii celebrating and you can even use all the suggestions you have here. A different one every year!

Best Wishes to the both of you and have a wonderful cruise!

Aloha,

Kat

The Na Pali coast on Kauai is a perfect choice! The only way to see the Na Pali is:

1. by driving up the Cannon Road, as mentioned. Problem here is that you can not always see the Na Pali from the look out, it’s a weather permitting part of the island.

2. by Air. I flew with Air Ventures (866 464 7864) on my honey moon earlier this year and thought it was on of the most romantic experiences of my life.

3. By boat. Holo holo charters (808 245 1770) has some very luxury boat tours of the Na Pali in the morning and at sun set, I loved my tour with them a few years ago, so beautiful.

Congratulations,

Alice

The Na Pali coast on Kauai is a perfect choice! The only way to see the Na Pali is:

1. by driving up the Cannon Road, as mentioned. Problem here is that you can not always see the Na Pali from the look out, it’s a weather permitting part of the island.

2. by Air. I flew with Air Ventures (866 464 7864) on my honey moon earlier this year and thought it was on of the most romantic experiences of my life.

3. By boat. Holo holo charters (808 245 1770) has some very luxury boat tours of the Na Pali in the morning and at sun set, I loved my tour with them a few years ago, so beautiful.

Congratulations,

Alice

Thanks Alice...very informative

Congratulations,

Alice

Thanks Alice...very informative and thoughtful.

I think you should leave the time unplanned....you will invariably be somewhere on your trip where it will just "feel like the right time"....and if possible do it early in your vacation, then you can both celebrate in a big way !!

Congrats and have fun !

My vote is the Hano Hano room on top of the Sheraton Waikiki at sunset facing Diamond Head. DH and I still talk about our dinner even after 7 years.

We love the Hano Hano Room too - the view is spectacular, at sunset and as darkness sets in and you see all the lights appear. We had a special dinner there in February which was a return visit for me (I had not been back there for over 20 years but still remembered how special it was too). We walked along the torch-lit beach after dinner and that made it even more romantic.

Also, Kauai gets my vote too, in my opinion one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Seeing it by boat along the Na Pali coast, or by helicopter like we did...who could say no in a setting like that? ;)

Good luck - let us know what happens!

- Cindy

Hi Red, this is a great thread and you've received wonderful suggestions. If you both love to hike, I would say pop the question on the Kalalau Trail on Kauai. You can hike to Hanakapiai Beach (about 2 miles in). Along the hike, I looked down the Na Pali coastline and was moved to tears at its beauty. I thought to myself, "This is where God lives."

Bonnie is a lucky lass.:)

Aloha, Logan

• 2 weeks later...

Aloooha,

Well, we are back!!!

I decided to be spontaneous.

I kept the ring in my pocket for the first several days. Nothing seemed "just right" until we attended the Old Lahaina Luau. That afternoon, Bonnie had received a massage in a thatched hut overlooking the beach in Wailea. She also purchased a sarong for the luau in Lahaina along with a sterling silver slider necklace. The man who ran the shop, saw Bonnie and looked at me and said, "Don't let her out of your sight, ever." It was starting to look like the Right time!!!!

We went to the OLL, which was wonderfully romantic. After the show, I asked Bonnie to walk back to the beach area for a couple of "extra photos". Iz's "Over the Rainbow / What a Wonderful World" was playing on the PA system as the rest of the audience exited. We were leaning against the tree at the edge of the beach. With Bonnie in my left arm as we gazed out into the ocean, I held the ring box in my right hand, held out my right arm and popped the box open with my thumb, a spot light from the stage was conveniently shining over my shoulder (so the ring really sparkled against the night sky). I asked her "Will you marry me?"

Bonnie teared up and nodded yes, unable to speak.

We spent the rest of the cruise on a "high". We enjoyed sharing the news with Corie and Paul, whom we met on the Roll Call for this cruise. We also met them for drinks at the Sail Away and spent many enjoyable times with them. They gave us a "Dash Board Hula Girl" as an engagement gift.

I'll write a review for the cruise (with some tips) soon.

Again, thank you all for your wonderful suggestions.

Mahalo,

Red

On our cruise there was an Indian (I think) man who proposed to his girlfriend on the top of Mauna Kea. The clouds were below and the driver turned up his radio and they were playing some love songs. The driver must have known because he had leis and champagne for the couple. And when they got back to the pier, they presented the people with a framed portrait of their proposal. There was another small SUV taking pictures of them that we figured must have been from the ship or tour company) It was so touching. We all gave them a cheer.

Where you do it doesn't matter because anywhere will be the most beautiful place on earth for her.

Archived