Arizona/Missouri Tours

Grandma Dazzles

Could someone please explain the main differences between the two tours - brochure I have indicates much more walking/stair climbing on the Missouri tour. Thanks.

Your question, from my perspective, has two "different" answers.

First, the Missouri is a battleship and requires much more walking because to see the ship, you will virtually need to climb stairs and get around the ship from bow to stern. There is a lot of walking once you arrive at the Missouri.

The Pearl Harbor Tour is "FREE" and I would highly recommend doing that on your own. Just get there as early as possible to obtain your tender tickets. These are necessary, since they tender groups to the Memorial about every 25 minutes. First, before your tender, you will view a very poignant movie about the events and the Memorial itself.

Pearl Harbor is very close to the Cruise Terminal, so it is easy to take a taxi there and back.

Once at the Pearl Harbor Memorial, you can purchase tickets to take the tram over to the USS Missouri. This too, you can definitely do "on your own".

Tours are okay, but it really is nice to be able to spend the time you want at each location. It does get very hot at certain times of the year.

Thanks so much for the help - answered my questions perfectly. We will be on Royal Caribbean - they indicated the Missouri tour was very strenuous (but didn't say why) - don't mind walking, even stair climbing, but assume that you could "sit and wait" if you got tired - or did not want to go stem to stern - to me strenuous would be like a mountain biking activity! I just wanted to make sure what I was getting us into.

It will be our first trip so I think we are going to do the organized tour with stops at the Arizona and Missouri (the other choice was just the Arizona). Seeing as we have never visited before it is just simpler. Thanks again.

PM: I think it is "normal" to want to do something as an organized tour the "first time" you are in Oahu.

To be VERY HONEST, anyone, and I do mean anyone, could do the Pearl Harbor and Missouri on their own! The taxi ride is only a 5 to 10 minute ride to the start of the Pearl Harbor tour. You can get a taxi at the pier when you dock! Why spend dollars when you don't have to??

Of course, I'm glad you're visiting the Memorial and the Missouri. It is a very moving experience.

Archived