Are shops open during Good Friday & Easter 2008

cruisecruzer

Hi,

I booked my cruise for 3-9 and arrive in Sydney on 3-21, Good friday, and will be staying until 3-24.

I was wondering since it is easter weekend will the stores be closed? Will tour operators still have tours going on Easter sunday?And if they are closed...what is open that we can do?

Ann

The shops will be closed on Good Friday. That and Christmas Day are the two days when everything is closed.

I am not sure about Easter Sunday. Sydney's trading hours are not as flexible as here in Melbourne. Our shops in the shopping Malls and in the city are open on Easter Sunday but I have reservations about Sydney. We have been there at Easter and I think I was surprised that nothing was open anywhere on the Sunday as well. They will be open on Easter Saturday and probably Easter Monday.

Here is a website for trading hours over Easter.

http://www.industrialrelations.nsw.gov.au/about/services/licensing/retail+trading+hours+-+public+holiday+restrictions.html

I am sure that Tour operators will have their tours going, I would email some ahead of time to make sure.

Here are some websites which may help.

http://www.sydney.visitorsbureau.com.au/page4.html

http://www.sydney.com.au/activities.htm

Jennie

That's what I've been wondering too. Sounds like I’m on the same cruise as Cruisecruzer. Not just the shops, but are tourist attractions open as well? Restaurants? Sounds like a silly question, but I come from LA and this place never closes so I didn't think about it being a "holiday" period when we booked. Unfortunately most attraction and tour websites don’t list their closed periods. Here on Easter Sunday its almost impossible to find a place to eat breakfast that isn’t already reserved weeks in advance and I’ve got 19 people in our group to think about. Since we leave early afternoon on Sunday, that might be the only meal we get! Disneyland (and places like that) never close, so I was thinking … or not thinking…. along those lines. Now I’m not so sure.

The restaurants will be closed on Good Friday but most of them will be open on Easter Saturday and a lot will be open on Easter Sunday as a lot of people eat out with their families. You will probably find the only restaurants open on Good Friday are in the big hotels.

If you are here on Easter Sunday, I would definitely book a restaurant for breakfast before you get here, even if it is one of the big hotel chains. eg. Four Seasons, Marriott, Shangri-la, Sheraton on the Park etc. They all have a buffet breakfast and I know they are usually booked up for weeks in advance.

Jennie

Hey...you and I both never thought about it being Easter over in Australia since I'm from California too.

Oh well,too late now,since I've booked. But that's a good idea to book Sunday brunch now since it will be Easter sunday and we have a huge group of 30 people too.

We're thinking of doing Blue Mountain on Friday right after we get off the ship since it will be Good Friday and all the shops will be closed. We just have to work with a tour operator to see if they are operating on that day.

Ann

That's what I've been wondering too. Sounds like I’m on the same cruise as Cruisecruzer. Not just the shops, but are tourist attractions open as well? Restaurants? Sounds like a silly question, but I come from LA and this place never closes so I didn't think about it being a "holiday" period when we booked. Unfortunately most attraction and tour websites don’t list their closed periods. Here on Easter Sunday its almost impossible to find a place to eat breakfast that isn’t already reserved weeks in advance and I’ve got 19 people in our group to think about. Since we leave early afternoon on Sunday, that might be the only meal we get! Disneyland (and places like that) never close, so I was thinking … or not thinking…. along those lines. Now I’m not so sure.

Thanks Aussie Gal for all your great suggestions! Do you live in Sydney? I'll probably be asking you more questions as I read more posts from you.

Ann

Ann,

We live in Melbourne but I know Sydney well as our daughter lived up there for over 7 years and I used to fly up each month for 3 days at a time. We also own a Unit up there, very close to the city. I love visiting Sydney but love living down here - the two cities are like chalk and cheese.

Jennie

Hi,

I booked my cruise for 3-9 and arrive in Sydney on 3-21, Good friday, and will be staying until 3-24.

I was wondering since it is easter weekend will the stores be closed? Will tour operators still have tours going on Easter sunday?And if they are closed...what is open that we can do?

Ann

Hi Ann,

There isn't alot open on the Friday and not much more on the Sunday though shops like 7Eleven are open. Most people use the easter break as a long weekend and leave so the city is pretty quiet. Most public transport is still running (trains, buses, ferries) just on a reduced timetable.

Terry

Hi Cruisecruzer,

Nope, didn’t give it a thought – since everything is open in LA my brain just didn’t think about it. I’m busy trying to figure things out for our group too. I’ve made arrangements for a local bus company to pick us up at the pier and take us on a mini tour before we hit our hotel. Just have to figure out how to call them to pick us up. www.kst.com.au/bus.php - you can also use them to get the the airport, since they are the “airporter” bus. We also booked a bus to pick us up in Auckland. Very inexpensive compared to taking a taxi and its there waiting for you. With a big group it’s the only way to go. I also booked our air directly with Air New Zealand and asked them for a group rate. Much cheaper AND they let everyone pay individually. Check it out on their website if you haven’t already got the air.

Now I have to figure out the breakfast for Sunday morning. Brunch sounds good, but we're on the 3:30 flight which means we have to be on our way by 11:30 (1 hr to the airport - 3 hrs before) which doesn't leave much time for the brunch part. I assume most start around 10 am like the do here.

Breakfast in the big hotels starts around 7am even on Easter Sunday. We have eaten often at Sheraton on the Park at Easter and have always gone down around 8am. It is often hard to get a big table, they are not keen on bookings for breakfast and you often have to wait in a line. I am sure all the other hotels start their Sunday breakfast around 7am and go until 10.30am.

Easter Sunday Lunch is usually from 12noon -2.30pm so they want people out before they set up the dining room for that meal.

You will be fine if you eat at 8am as the trip to the airport only takes 15-20 minutes especially on Easter Sunday.

Jennie

Wow, you guys start breakfast early ... that's terrific. You can barely find a restaurant that’s open at that time of the morning in LA – except of course for chains like Denny’s and IHOP. Don't know if we'll go to the Sheraton though as it looks like it specializes in seafood and not all of us are big in that area, at least not at breakfast time. Might be a little pricey for some in our group also. Any other suggestions would be great. Our hotel is on Park Street.

Also, I was wondering about tourist places. Will they be closed as well, or will most be open for business as usual?

Most of the tourist things will still be running on Good Friday nd Easter Sunday. Its just the normal shops that will be shut. I think a lot of the cafes and pubs around Darling Harbour, Circular Quay and the Rocks will still be open. They do have public holiday surcharge which supposedly is to pay extra rates to their staff. The ferries, harbour cruises and other public transport will still be running but probably at a reduced schedule.

Notenitrelynormal,

The Sheraton will not be serving seafood at breakfast time. It will be serving a normal buffet breakfast the same as all the large hotels. It has one of the best breakfasts in Sydney - or so we thought last time we were there - including berry fruits, cereals, muesli, cheeses, meats, salmon, eggs anyway you like, pancakes, french cakes and croissants etc. etc.

If you are staying at the Park Regis in Park Street, you will need to find somewhere for breakfast in that area and the Sheraton will probably be the only place close enough that will be open at the time you want on Easter Sunday. I am not sure what the rate is for breakfast. We stayed at the Shangri-la in Sydney a week ago for 4 nights and I noticed that the charge for breakfast was $38AUD p.p.

Jennie

There's always McDonalds:p

Seriously, with 19 people I don't think thats an option. You could send an email to your hotel, they have a restaurant. I'm not sure whether they normally serve breakfast, but if they knew they were going to get 19 people they might make an effort. Or you could try yum cha in Chinatown.

Aussiegal is right. Those big hotels charge like wounded bulls for breakfast. I did a bit of a search for what is opened on a Sunday and found this

http://www.rossini.com.au/page/breakfast_menu.html

Its at Circular Quay, so you could maybe stow your luggage at the hotel, catch the bus to CQ for breakfast. With 19 of you a booking will be essential anywhere. its an opportunity for a last look at the Harbour Bridge and Opera House before heading to the airport.

I did a bit of a search for what is opened on a Sunday and found this

http://www.rossini.com.au/page/breakfast_menu.html

Its at Circular Quay ...

Another place at Circular Quay, pretty much next door to Cafe Rossini, is City Extra. It's open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I assume that this would include all public holidays, but you'd need to check.

It sounds like Notentirelynormal has a large group of 19 and we have a pretty big group with about 28 people....but half of them are leaving around 11:00am and that leaves 10 of us to wander about in Sydney on Sunday.

Have to figure what to do to keep ourself occupied. Sunday Brunch sounds great but after 12 days of stuffing myself I might have to give my stomach a rest.

Dim Sum sounds good since I'm sure the chinese restaurants will be open...they don't close in S.F. or L.A. so I'm assuming they will be open in Sydney too.

Ann

Cruisecruzer, why don't you register on the roll call...maybe I can give you some info on what I've learned so far and you can do the same? Things like I've arranged a bus in Auckland to pick us up from the airport and take us to the hotel, working out to around $11 pp US and then to the ship with a sightseeing tour for 2 hours about $22 pp US.

Cruisecruzer, why don't you register on the roll call...maybe I can give you some info on what I've learned so far and you can do the same? Things like I've arranged a bus in Auckland to pick us up from the airport and take us to the hotel, working out to around $11 pp US and then to the ship with a sightseeing tour for 2 hours about $22 pp US.

I will definitely register on the roll call and whatever information you've already have would be great.

Just going to add my 2 cents worth...

You should be able to find something for Sunday Breakfast in China Town... they do yum cha on a Sunday morning although Im not sure what time they open.. would depend on the resturant I would gather...

If you have a day that you havent planned anything... Easter is the time of our Easter Show... Its in Homebush... in the same place as we held the 200 Olympics... It started YEARS ago as an agricultural show but is really a free for all now... You can see a lot of prize winning cattle, dogs, sheep (any animal really) there are 1000's of little stalls with people selling there wares from all over Australia... rides for the kids... anything you can imagine to eat (and most on a stick...he he)... At night there is a show in the main arena with fireworks... car racing (Holdens.. great Aussie cars)... You can buy aussie woollen clothes... nik nacks etc... I take my daughter every year and we have a ball... if you choose to do this.... one peice of advise... where comfy shoes....The place is HUGE and your feet will do a lot of walking....

The other thing is to just have a light breaky on the day you leave... You need to be at the airport 3 hours in advance but my experience has been that after you check in you have HEAPS of time waiting... so you can eat there... There is a food court with Maccas... Subway...a chinese... a bakery etc... I would get in last minute sight seeing than eating...

hope this helps

Meg

Archived