Balcony Question

texasrosebud

We have never had a balcony room before. We just found out that we are the second balcony room from the front of the ship. Has anyone ever been this far up to the front? I am worried that it may be so windy that we wont even be able to sit outside.....:confused:

Thanks for any information you can give,

Texasrosebud

We have never had a balcony room before. We just found out that we are the second balcony room from the front of the ship. Has anyone ever been this far up to the front? I am worried that it may be so windy that we wont even be able to sit outside.....:confused:

Thanks for any information you can give,

Texasrosebud

I was 8 back on the Triumph and it was fine.

I have the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Balconies on the Miracle 2 weeks before you go........I'll let you know then LOL !!

Thanks so much, Chitown Cruiser!!! I will be looking forward to hearing what you have to say. Have a great cruise.;)

One other thing that I am curious to know is how much do you feel the movement of the ship cutting through the water.

Curious minds need to know,

Texasrosebud

The only time I had a problem with Wind was when we had a penthouse cabin that faced the bow. Then you have wind problems if your speed is up there! It still wasn't bad, unless the cabin door to the hallway was open, then it created some kind of wind tunnel! Our friends opened the balcony door once when our room stewards were cleaning and had the door to the hallway propped open - papers flew everywhere!

Had 2nd cabin from front on DESTINY some years back. No problem with wind, no problem with movement,

BUT...................................

IT ALL DEPENDS ON CONDITIONS.

Wind..........if the ship is doing 20 knots on a calm day, there will be a 20kt wind everywhere along the ship. If sailing directly into a 10kt headwind, then 30kts all along the ship. A 10kt tailwind, 10kts along the ship. Naturally you hardly ever get a straight on headwind or tailwind. Mostly a quarting wind,[from some angle, fore or aft] that adds or subtracts from the ships generated wind.

Movement is dependent on the sea conditions. The middle of the ship will move SLIGHTLY less than either end in most conditions, even quite rough seas. Seas have to be extremely rough for there to be very noticeable more movement in the fore or aft areas.

Our last cruise [4/07, transatlantic] we had headwinds up to 60kts while we were sailing at over 20 kts. So more than 80 kts across the deck. And 30 plus foot waves, 40 degrees and rain. The movement was no all that bad inside the ship, NOBODY WENT OUTSIDE. We had an aft balcony cabin, huge balcony, but it got very little use.

Still a great cruise!

Thanks so much, Chitown Cruiser!!! I will be looking forward to hearing what you have to say. Have a great cruise.;)

One other thing that I am curious to know is how much do you feel the movement of the ship cutting through the water.

Curious minds need to know,

Texasrosebud

we had the Triumph 8 back and Miracle mid ship...........I'd say they were about even.....we hardly felt a thing.

I was on the Valor (also a Conquest class ship) in room 8201 (the very first balcony cabin on the verandah deck) and we loved it! We got to see the officers in their little room and their controls, it was very quiet, and we didn't notice much movement. Our friends were in the cabin next to us (8203) and they had never cruised before so they were concerned about the movement - but they didn't have any problems either.

Thank you all so much for your wisdom!!! I am very excited to hear the good news.

My husband and I are so looking forward to having a balcony cabin. This will be our 7th cruise and I finally talked him into it.

Thanks again fellow cruisers,

Texasrosebud:D

We had the 4th balcony from the bow on the Lido deck of Destiny. Got a little windy opening and closing the balcony door sometimes, but otherwise it was entirely pleasent to be out there. Enjoy!

We felt some movement, but only if the ship was traveling fast. (18 knots or above). Below that, it wasn't bad.

Had a balcony 2nd from the front port side deck 6 on the Victory. What many did not know was you get get to the front of the ship on deck 6 and 7. Great place at night because they left the lights off and star watching and quiet was great, also coming and going from ports. Did not have a problem with motion or wind. Did have a problem with binoculars. Whenever I took them out of the A/C cabin to use them outside the humididy fogged them up.

We had 8211 close to the front. We noticed 2 things:

Anchor noise when we stopped in Belize... good thing we were awake already!

And some pounding against the hull when there was a cross wind and we had waves hitting the bow crossways.

On the Glory we did not have anything more than 2-4 ft seas. But on other ships we've seen 12-15 or even 20 foot seas... at those times there is certainly a lot of motion up and down at the front of the ship.

I've been in the first cabin twice. . .9th deck on the Victory, and 10th deck on the Valor. Both were starboard side. And, we've been midship on Adventure of the Seas, 6th deck.

The wind was about the same on all three cruises *except* when we hit stormy weather one night while on the Victory. It was windy all over the place.

I will say I liked the front so much that I booked the first balcony again for our Century cruise next month.

Enjoy your cruise!

Chris

We were 3 from the front on the Miracle Panorama deck. I noticed the "sway" to the ship a little more up in our room but I'm one of those people who likes the movement so it was great. We were also on a higher deck which could add to the motion. I didn't really notice a wind problem. I liked the all-the-way forward spot because there was so much less traffic in the hallways than there was on our Victory cruise where we were midship. Much quieter at night without people traipsing the halls at 3am - not many people made it as far forward as that.

The real problem with balconies is not even being addressed here. Once you cruise while having a balcony' date=' you'll be hooked! No more reasonably priced interior rooms for you!:eek:

All kidding aside, you'll love it.

Alexis[/quote']

So true! We took an inside for our CTN and I was really glad it was only for two nights! We are spoiled forever.

Archived