Pubs/Cafes/Restaurants within walking distance of the Hote Russell - Bloomsbury

Can anyone give me the specific names of the above?
How many hours have you got to read a list? ;)

This is an area plentifully supplied with restaurants etc. First, look at a map of the hotel's location.

First, go towards the south. There are restaurants on the east side of Russell Square and both sides of Southampton Row as far as Bloomsbury Way/Theobalds Road (including on some of the little side streets leading off to the east). There are a few restaurants on Sicilian Avenue, just to the southwest of that junction. There is a very good Korean restaurant underneath Holborn Tube station (entrance on Kingsway). There are more restaurants if you walk either way along High Holborn. And southwest of the junction of High Holborn and Kingsway is the Covent Garden area, where there are literally hundreds of restaurants for every taste and budget. At this point, you are about 15 minutes' walk from the hotel.

If you go back to the hotel, go north and turn right into Bernard Street. There are some restaurants along here. But if you go past the Tube station, you will get to the Brunswick Centre before you reach Hunter Street. This has recently been repopulated with some excellent shops and restaurants (including the ever-reliable Giraffe) - as well as one of London's best art house cinemas. This is about 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

Globaliser - thank you so very much!! I have my map and have now printed out these instructions. Hard to believe so much so close by! I guess I am used to being in the USA where everything is a bit of a distance away.

If you want a drink, do not use the hotel bar. it is very expensive. Go out of the main door, down the steps and turn left. walk to the end of the hotel and cross the road to the Barclays bank. Keep on walking away from the hotel for about 50/75 yards(meters) On the left is a pub which looks quite modern. The beer is amongst the cheapest in central London and it has real ales from different parts of the country.

Do not get a pint until you find one you like. Try them in half pints first. In fact if you ask for a taste they might let you try before you buy!!

There is a more traditional London pub directly behind the Russell.

I know this as I have stayed at the hotel a number of times on business. The restaurant is in a spectacular room as the hotel is old, in fact I believe it is the oldest hotel built as specifically as a hotel in London. The food is not bad but thee is little atmosphere as few people dine here.

If you turn left out of the hotel an walk for a few minutes you come to Southampton Row and there are a number of restaurants on either side of the road.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

We stayed in the Tavistock Hotel on Tavistock Square for a weekend last year. The Bloomsbury area of London is very much a lived in area, with larege old buildings mixed in with residential property of all types. You will find loads of restaurants, pubs, cafes and shops catering to all levels. You will only have to walk around the block to find something to suit your taste.

Have a great time

Tony - thank you for that information.

I assume that this is a relatively safe area of London........just take the same precautions that I would take anywhere else I would travel. How about after dark? I'm talking 7:00 - 8:00pm or so........safe for someone to walk alone a few blocks or should I try and stay with a group?

Tony - thank you for that information.

I assume that this is a relatively safe area of London........just take the same precautions that I would take anywhere else I would travel. How about after dark? I'm talking 7:00 - 8:00pm or so........safe for someone to walk alone a few blocks or should I try and stay with a group?

I am always 'on my own' when staying in this area and I feel completely safe. The area is very cosmopolitan with lots of students. If you feel happy on your own then fine, but it is also an area which is good if there is a group of you.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

This is a safe part of town, even for someone on their own. You'll see that it's normally pretty busy until late in the evening.

How about after dark? I'm talking 7:00 - 8:00pm or so........safe for someone to walk alone a few blocks or should I try and stay with a group?

What time of year are you in London ? It will still be daylight at 8pm between April and mid-September

Archived