Sea Sickness in Aft Cabins - does this sound crazy?

People keep worrying about sea sickness in the aft cabins, but I found (I hope this doesn't sound too crazy) that, because the aft beds are in a different direction than the rest of the ship, I actually found it better for my sea sickness if I am rocking from side to side, rather than head to toe?

On our trip from Honolulu to Vancouver we found the rocking of the ship was from bow to stern, rather than side to side (which surprised me!), and I found that I didn't get sea sick this way. Even when I was in the lounge or a public area I would seat myself so that I was rocking from side to side rather than from head to toe, and I never felt sick once. I did take 1/2 of a bonamine (sp?) each evening before bed, but I really feel that sleeping and sitting in the proper direction helped me? Could this be possible?

Brandy

People keep worrying about sea sickness in the aft cabins, but I found (I hope this doesn't sound too crazy) that, because the aft beds are in a different direction than the rest of the ship, I actually found it better for my sea sickness if I am rocking from side to side, rather than head to toe?

On our trip from Honolulu to Vancouver we found the rocking of the ship was from bow to stern, rather than side to side (which surprised me!), and I found that I didn't get sea sick this way. Even when I was in the lounge or a public area I would seat myself so that I was rocking from side to side rather than from head to toe, and I never felt sick once. I did take 1/2 of a bonamine (sp?) each evening before bed, but I really feel that sleeping and sitting in the proper direction helped me? Could this be possible?

Brandy

There's more to it than that, the closer you are to the center of the ship, the less lateral motion there's going to be regardless of how you're oriented.

Mark is right.

When we took the reposition cruise Vancouver to Hawaii . We got the Corner aft suite top floor for cabins. Thinking this would be a great view and fun with such a large balcony.

My DW was green for a couple of days with the aft bow deep rocking . We will never get aft again. After having said this ..I never get motion sickness and it would be a great suite for me anytime. We only book hump or middle of the ship from now on as the stabalizers seem to make it just that much better for my DW.

We don't get seasick, so we love the aft balcony cabins. But, if you do suffer from seasickness I would imagine you'd feel some discomfort, as there is more motion and vibration than in the middle of the ship. Think of the ship like a see-saw - there's virtually no movement in the center, but a larger arc at the front and back.

To us, we just felt like we were ever so gently being rocked to sleep. Wish I could duplicate that at home; it was the BEST sleep! LOL!

Sharon H.

I never thought about it that way! We were in the aft upper corner of the Mariner and had very little motion. The seas were pretty calm though. One thing I did notice was that we didn't rock as much as previous cruises. Maybe it is because are beds were facing a different direction. Although I slept well, I didn't sleep as well as I have in the past. Love that side to side.

Next month, we will be doing the cruise that Folgy was talking about . We will be in a side stateroom about 3/4 away back from the bow. If the ship goes from bow to aft, we may be in for a bit of trouble. :(

Thanks for the seating tip. That may help my DH out as he is more prone to sea sickness.

Have sailed in aft cabins on 4 cruises...I have a big tendency to get seasick..I do wear the patch and none of the 4 cruises were especially rough.

I did not experience and problems.

Whiole I will never sail without a patch on I will always try for an aft cabin.

• 7 years later...

I tend to get very seasick but have no problem since discovering Bonine. We have stayed in many aft cabins, usually corner afts, and I have no problem even in very rough seas. I don't think the motion is any worse there than in the middle of the ship. JMHO

Is it okay to consume alcohol while wearing the patch?

I don't know about drinking alcohol but have a long talk with your doctor and or pharmacist before you use a patch. The patch is a totally different class of drug than dramamine or bonine and can have many side effects, including some psychological ones. Scopamine (sp?) known as the patch, was first used during WWII as a truth serum! Also, many people report, including myself, that AFTER you take the patch off, you feel sea-sick, and that can last for as long as 24 hours.

I don't know about drinking alcohol but have a long talk with your doctor and or pharmacist before you use a patch. The patch is a totally different class of drug than dramamine or bonine and can have many side effects, including some psychological ones. Scopamine (sp?) known as the patch, was first used during WWII as a truth serum! Also, many people report, including myself, that AFTER you take the patch off, you feel sea-sick, and that can last for as long as 24 hours.

Everything that you are saying about Transderm Scop (the 'patch") is true; that's why it's not a great idea to "borrow" one from someone else. Your MD has to make the call as to whether the patch is safe for you.

For me, there's some mild blurry vision, and a dry mouth. BUT without the patch I wouldn't be able to sail OR fly, so it's a lifesaver for me.

You are instructed to "avoid alcohol" while wearing the patch; I myself can have a cocktail or two without a problem, but that's just me.

When my cruise is over and the patch is removed, I will take one Bonine every day to combat the "land sickness" feeling. By the third day, I'm back to normal.

Teddie

When it comes to motion, the advantage of one position on the ship versus another or the position of the beds depends on sea conditions, specifically the size and direction of the waves in relation to the heading of the ship. Forward and aft cabins are going to be most affected by motion if the waves are coming from forward which will cause pitching. The bigger the waves the greater the pitching. Waves coming from the stern of equal size may be barely noticeable because the ship is moving in the same direction as the waves. Waves coming from the side of the ship will cause rolling with the most motion felt by cabins on the upper decks regardless of if they are fore or aft. We've never had a motion sickness problem but still get midships cabins and on a low deck if there will be lots of open ocean to cross.

I have used the patch. Its called the transderm patch or scope patch. The medication is scopalamine. I have used it many times and have had no adverse effects. 2 issues of mention - it exaggerates the effects of alcohol so it takes less to feel woozy and it has made me very tired at times. I like the patch and will always use it.

We love aft cabins as well, but had a concern when our family took our mom on her first cruise to celebrate her 70th birthday. We were booked in a Royal Family Suite, which is only offered as an aft cabin on AOS. Mom got a patch just in case there was an affect, but I am very happy to say that she didn't need to use it.

Do whatever you think works best for you and you'll be fine. Get a cabin that's arranged so you can sit sideways, use the patch, use a pressure wristband or whatever, a lot of seasickness is in your mind. Just relax and don't worry about being seasick and you'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise

Is it okay to consume alcohol while wearing the patch?

The patch is the only reason I'm able to sail so I'd preach about them all day! My doctor never hesitates to prescribe me as many as needed with just phone call (i am a healthy 2 8 y o female). They don't make me drowsy at all, or cause any other unwanted side effect. I'm very very careful to wash my hands thoroughly after touching the patch because it can cause vision problems if it contacts your eyes (i wear contacts fyi and still have no problems). And i drink as much as i please without any effect from the patch. :-)

Do whatever you think works best for you and you'll be fine. Get a cabin that's arranged so you can sit sideways, use the patch, use a pressure wristband or whatever, a lot of seasickness is in your mind. Just relax and don't worry about being seasick and you'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise

Nope. It's in your middle ear; it's not psychological, it's anatomical. If anyone has a concern about seasickness, then be prepared so you can enjoy your cruise.

Teddie

Nope. It's in your middle ear; it's not psychological, it's anatomical. If anyone has a concern about seasickness, then be prepared so you can enjoy your cruise.

Teddie

Nope... So many different suggestions, none of them do the same thing...Everyone swears they work. It's psychological. Just continue to do whatever you belive works and you'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise

Nope... So many different suggestions, none of them do the same thing...Everyone swears they work. It's psychological. Just continue to do whatever you belive works and you'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise

You know, we've had this discussion before here, now that I think about it. I recall that you were not able to accept that there is a physiologic reason for motion sickness. I also recall that you do not like using medications. That is fine for you, of course, but it's not always so for others. It's rather insulting to be told that it's psychological; plus, when you are motion sick and upchucking, the point is moot, as no matter HOW you got there, the fact remains that you are ill, and you need help. Preventive measures are of course, the way to go.

Feel free to read up on the research done for vestibular disorders. If you are the type of person who does not embrace medical research, then there's not much else to say.

Teddie

You know, we've had this discussion before here, now that I think about it. I recall that you were not able to accept that there is a physiologic reason for motion sickness. I also recall that you do not like using medications. That is fine for you, of course, but it's not always so for others. It's rather insulting to be told that it's psychological; plus, when you are motion sick and upchucking, the point is moot, as no matter HOW you got there, the fact remains that you are ill, and you need help. Preventive measures are of course, the way to go.

Feel free to read up on the research done for vestibular disorders. If you are the type of person who does not embrace medical research, then there's not much else to say.

Teddie

Try not to be insulted by the reality of the fact all of these widely different solutions cannot possibility affect a single cause for motion sickness. There must be another explanation. Bottom line is: Pick any preventative approach, believe in it and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your cruise

Try not to be insulted by the reality of the fact all of these widely different solutions cannot possibility affect a single cause for motion sickness. There must be another explanation. Bottom line is: Pick any preventative approach, believe in it and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your cruise

Some instances of motion sickness are more severe than others, hence the variation in responses. Please save the condolences because you really do not have an understanding of the problem. Thanks for trying, though.

Teddie

Some instances of motion sickness are more severe than others, hence the variation in responses. Please save the condolences because you really do not have an understanding of the problem. Thanks for trying, though.

Teddie

Please save your flames for someone else and let others make an informed choice.

Teddie

Please save your flames for someone else and let others make an informed choice.

I certainly wouldn't classify my post as a flame, but it is my opinion :)

Knowing all sides of an issue will lead to a truly "informed choice". That's what informed choice means.

I'm done with this, as clearly it's all been said.

Teddie

Archived