Brazil and HAL and South America

OldCodger73

KK's thread about canceling a cruise because of a possible health risk of a Yellow Fever shot required by Brazil got me thinking. While some people have posted about how much they've enjoyed Rio and the Amazon, I've never felt the urge to visit Brazil, I guess because I don't do hot and humid and don't really feel like jumping through that country's visa and entry requirements.

That, of course eliminates HAL's arounf the tip of South America cruises, which either start of end in Rio. Does anyone else wish that HAL did what other cruise lines do and use Buenos Aires as a start/stop rather than Rio?

Sorry. Have to disagree with you. We choose SA cruises on HAL because of Brazil. Love Rio both as an embarkation and a departure port. So much to see and do. Could get better prices on Princess but Rio was the clincher for us. Plus they do stop overnight in Buenos Aires on some HAL cruises.

Plus getting visas was no big hassle. Sent our passports to the consulate and picked them up two weeks later. As for shots, we go to our local travel clinic and get all necessary ones. Lots less pain than going to the dentist.

Mind you, DH has had triple bypass surgery within the past year so he has to be careful which shots he gets. But he's well monitored.

ANd....we do love Rio..

Traveling overseas often entails such issues.

I'm actually going to have to look into getting a round of inoculations prior to my late January cruise on the Rotterdam from Rio to Santiago. I'm not sure what I'm going to need, but I can look it up on the internet and see.

If your flying into Rio for a cruise to Santiago you don't need any

shots. If your going into the Amazons yes you need them.

I've checked out shots as we're going from Rio with 2 other stops

in Brazil before transatlantic to Barcelona. I was told no shots were

needed. We sailed Santiago to Buenos Aires and no shots were

needed then.

I've checked out shots as we're going from Rio with 2 other stops

in Brazil before transatlantic to Barcelona. I was told no shots were

needed. We sailed Santiago to Buenos Aires and no shots were

needed then.

That's helpful, thanks.

Just want to add that one needs to take into account future travel.... Some countries will require a Yellow Fever Shot if you are in a country that has an issue somewhere. So since we are doing the around cape horn cruise in December and have no idea of plans after that.... we decided that while we didn't need them for this cruise we would get our Yellow Fever shots anyway. This way we won't have any issues with any future trips.

For example.... I know that for Australia if you are going there within 6 days of a country that has Yellow Fever then you need proof of your shots. Okay that doesn't apply here but that was the only one I knew off hand ;)

For those that want to lookup the various countries see the Chapter 5 of the CDC Yellow Book.

We had our YF shot about a month ago. Wasn't bad.... my left arm got a little sore for about a week but other than that had no issues.

I can't imagine not going to Rio during our around the Horn cruise. No yellow fever shots or visas were required when you were in transit. Only if you had a stay. We did the all day tour and off to the airport excursion from the ship. The views from Corcovado and Sugar Loaf rival anything else we have ever seen.

Archived