Opinion on HAL Dress Code

Happy HALer

What are your thought on the HAL dress code?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thought on the HAL dress code?

• Keep it as it is.
    • Go to resort casual.
    • Tank Tops & Flip Flops
    • ASW casual. Traditional as is.
    • Could not care less.

We would never consider going on a cruise with a formal night. The Blues Cruise is always "casual" dress......shorts, tank-tops and flip-flops are allowed in the dining room at all times, but lots of us wear jeans and t-shirts for dinner. Most of us are in our 50's and 60's and are fortunate to be able to afford the additional expense of a chartered cruise. Guess we're just a bunch of old hippies.:) The cruise is always sold out 6 months in advance.

I'd love to, but I didn't see my choice there.

Where's the option for formal only? Got all these tiaras and no place to wear 'em. :rolleyes:

I agree, and said something similar earlier on the thread. So, do what I did and pick the one closest to your preference. That's what I had to do. :)

I'm still not surprised with the results thus far. With 179 having voted:

Keep it as it is. 112 -- 62.57%

Go to resort casual. 41 -- 22.91%

Tank Tops & Flip Flops 4 -- 2.23%

ASW casual. Traditional as is. 4 -- 2.23%

Could not care less. 18 -- 10.06%

When I first discovered this site, I found it very helpful in planning cruises. Now, it seems to be more of bantering among the regulars with a lot of chit chat not necessarily useful. I wonder if all these people who refuse to dress up a little wear jeans and tee shirts to weddings and funerals. I propose we post info that really is helpful to those planning a cruise.

Pink

* Keep HAL's dress code as-is, but enforce it.

That better-reflects my opinion.

EXACTLY MY FEELING!!!

As things stand now, the 'code', frequently ignored and never enforced - is not worth the paper it's written on! The underline in 'revneal's post' is mine!

When I first discovered this site, I found it very helpful in planning cruises. Now, it seems to be more of bantering ...

I propose we post info that really is helpful to those planning a cruise.

Pink

If you have a question, post it. I'm sure you'll get an answer promptly.

When I first discovered this site, I found it very helpful in planning cruises. Now, it seems to be more of bantering among the regulars with a lot of chit chat not necessarily useful. I wonder if all these people who refuse to dress up a little wear jeans and tee shirts to weddings and funerals. I propose we post info that really is helpful to those planning a cruise.

Pink

To the above I'll subscribe too! The underlining is again mine!

With so many cruise lines these days, there really is a cruise to suit individual preferences. Of course that requires picking up a brochure and reading it........seems that's not often done these days!

The bantering and chit chat between regulars serves no useful purpose!

Actually, yes ... the chit-chat is part of how we (1) pass the time between cruises, and (2) continue our friendships and the relationships that we've made on this board and in-person aboard ship. The board is a fantastic place to share information about cruising, and I have learned a GREAT DEAL from many posters here. I have also enjoyed many years of building friendships that are oriented around the love of cruising, and I have enjoyed many wonderful cruises with these people. Indeed, the cruises themselves have been enhanced by the friendships sparked and grown here.

It seems as though everyone who wants to dress formally assumes that those who don't will be wearing jeans and t-shirts ("J & T"). I certainly agree that wearing J & T or shorts etc. is a big no-no on formal nights and, possibly, a way of thumbing one's nose at those who do formally dress. However, there is a big difference between J & T and those that dress nicely in slacks, blazer or sport coat and tie and attractive dresses or pantsuits for ladies. The poll results show that fully 37.89% of those who posted - posted for other than the formal option, including those who don't care one way or the other. That is more than one-third of the posters.

I am curious, do those of you who feel strongly about dressing formally really get uptight if you see someone dressed nicely but not strictly "formal?" And does that really ruin your evening and cause you to get so upset that these dress code threads are continually running? Or is it strictly the J & T, shorts, etc. that you are talking about? If it is the J & T etc., I can certainly understand it, but otherwise, it boggles my mind that people spend so much time and energy on this subject.

I am curious, do those of you who feel strongly about dressing formally really get uptight if you see someone dressed nicely but not strictly "formal?"

"Uptight"? Can't say that's the word I would choose. I certainly notice. One thing that happens when everyone in sight is dressed up is the pretty picture it makes. Everywhere you look is a lovely scene that flows. To have that scene interrupted by those not dressed up is jarring to the senses.

And does that really ruin your evening and cause you to get so upset that these dress code threads are continually running?

It's funny, but I have never seen the word "ruin" used by any poster advocating for people dressing up; the only ones who have used it are those who are in the "do what you like" camp. A better word is "changes" the evening. The atmosphere is quite different when everyone looks at their best.

To the above I'll subscribe too! The underlining is again mine!

With so many cruise lines these days, there really is a cruise to suit individual preferences. Of course that requires picking up a brochure and reading it........seems that's not often done these days!

The bantering and chit chat between regulars serves no useful purpose!

It does serve a purpose......the chit chat & fun the regulars have puts a smile on my face.....I for one....LOVE IT......you regulars....& you know who you are....KEEP IT UP!!!

Great post, Golfette! :)

You know, come to think of it..... I'd much rather see a fellow cruiser in slacks/jacket, or pants suit... as opposed to pouring themselves into what they consider "REAL FORMAL".

'tis much better to merely conform than to look like a stuffed sausage!!!

What was the wordage from the Rev. and Friends last week? Overweight cruisers being laughed at and referred to as "Biscuit Eaters" and "Blobs" ? (Something to that extent, anyway) :(

Bring on the chocolates! ;)

It seems as though everyone who wants to dress formally assumes that those who don't will be wearing jeans and t-shirts ("J & T"). I certainly agree that wearing J & T or shorts etc. is a big no-no on formal nights and, possibly, a way of thumbing one's nose at those who do formally dress. However, there is a big difference between J & T and those that dress nicely in slacks, blazer or sport coat and tie and attractive dresses or pantsuits for ladies. The poll results show that fully 37.89% of those who posted - posted for other than the formal option, including those who don't care one way or the other. That is more than one-third of the posters.

Very rarely is anyone evicted from HAL Dining Rooms on formal nights when they arrive in a blazer, dress shirt and slacks, even though they have clearly not dressed according to the code...

...therefore, we refer to the folks who need directing to the Lido as folks who wear J&T's, although polo shirts and khakis (for example) are also not the least bit appropriate in a Formal setting either.

This (last paragraph) and this demonstrate how a few of the sartorially correct view those whom they feel don't adhere to a dress code. It also demonstrates how frequently jokes are made at the expense of others. I believe the posts in these links were made in jest, but they weren't kind. I took them to heart when they were written, and have pondered them ever since, because I too, am guilty of trying to be amusing at the expense of others.

I hesitated to post this today, because I don't want my words to be used as ammunition, nor to fuel further discord. The posts made me sad, not angry. I found the attitudes expressed in the linked posts above to be hurtful, not necessarily to me, but to people in general. I was surprised both by the observations that were made, and the sources of the sartorial sentiments. I myself could so easily be classified as a "hideous blimp in the shower drapery." I suppose I'm naive, but I never realized before that my appearance, or anyone else's, could be the source of so much uncharitable merriment.

If my post is in violation of Cruise Critic guidelines, then I understand if it is removed. My apologies for causing any further disturbance.

Karin

Very rarely is anyone evicted from HAL Dining Rooms on formal nights when they arrive in a blazer, dress shirt and slacks, even though they have clearly not dressed according to the code...

...therefore, we refer to the folks who need directing to the Lido as folks who wear J&T's, although polo shirts and khakis (for example) are also not the least bit appropriate in a Formal setting either.

Apparently, the "Code" doesn't exist anymore. This from the HAL website. They do not "require" any particular attire. they only state what most people wear.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen usually wear a suit and tie or tuxedo.

I enjoy the "dressy" nights, but it looks like HAL is clearly allowing people to make choices now. It is starting to look like those who want to have an enforced formal environment, may have to look at another cruise line.

This is a bit of a bummer to me. I enjoyed the formal nights.

Archived