Dimensions for Luggage Seem Odd

DM Pro

We're looking to take the National Express Bus to Southampton, but I noticed on their website that the "medium" lugage is to be no more than 30cm x 70cm x 20cm. When you convert this, it means a bag no wider than 11.8" and as tall as 27.5" -- there is no such thing. A 25" bag which is very standard is usually 17" wide -- not under 12" wide.

Has anyone traveling on National Express run into problems using luggage that's wider than 12"? I'm even begining to think this is a typo on their site.

Thank you for your help.

We're looking to take the National Express Bus to Southampton, but I noticed on their website that the "medium" lugage is to be no more than 30cm x 70cm x 20cm. When you convert this, it means a bag no wider than 11.8" and as tall as 27.5" -- there is no such thing. A 25" bag which is very standard is usually 17" wide -- not under 12" wide.

Has anyone traveling on National Express run into problems using luggage that's wider than 12"? I'm even begining to think this is a typo on their site.

Thank you for your help.

I was just on their site as well this morning, looking for options from traveling from London to Dover. The dimensions do seem very strange. We are taking a 12-day cruise and I can't imagine taking anything smaller than a large suitcase -- trying to drag around two medium-sized cases doesn't make sense, either. I'd prefer rail transport to the port to avoid traffic and am wondering if there are other trains that are more accommodating to foreign travelers. Any suggestions out there?

We used 30" rolling duffels, packed to the max, and had no trouble having them accepted in April/May of this year. The bus driver helps you with your luggage. Just don't take anything gigantic.

We were on a 12-night cruise, with 2 nights before, and 5 nights after.

We used 30" rolling duffels, packed to the max, and had no trouble having them accepted in April/May of this year. The bus driver helps you with your luggage. Just don't take anything gigantic.

We were on a 12-night cruise, with 2 nights before, and 5 nights after.

Thanks, Peggy -- I was thinking that NE was a train -- what is the train service called that connects London (Charing Cross and Victoria Station) with Dover? I'll check their website.

Thanks, Peggy -- I was thinking that NE was a train -- what is the train service called that connects London (Charing Cross and Victoria Station) with Dover? I'll check their website.

Try this: http://nationalrail.co.uk/

London has many choices for departure, including London Victoria. You want Southampton Central as your destination.

Try this: http://nationalrail.co.uk/

London has many choices for departure, including London Victoria. You want Southampton Central as your destination.

Southampton is miles from Dover. I suggest Dover Priory might be a rather better station to aim at.

Victoria and Charing Cross both do direct trains. No limit on luggage. Luggage isn't checked.

Matthew

Thanks so much for all of the helpful train information, esp. the link! I expect we'll need to take a taxi to the cruise terminal from the Dover station (possibly two taxis considering how much luggage we'll probably have, LOL)! Actually, I learned my lesson from my last cruise -- I do NOT need a different outfit -- or a different blouse -- each night! I did laundry last time and will do it again. Plus I don't have to eat in the dining room each night!

Archived