I am such an OVERPACKER!

lynnber

Logically, realistically I know I'm not going to need so many clothes but I keep putting them in the suitcase anyway. In the 'real world' I don't dress in something different for breakfast, lunch, dinner, excursion, evening entertainment, etc... so why, oh why, do I think I will be doing it on a cruise? Happens every time, and at the end of the cruise I just wind up putting half the clothes away again, unworn. And I can't stop myself. I just can't.

This is what I do.... I put together outfits that I like together, then I count out the number of days with each of the outfits. I add in an extra 2 outfits in case I should spill or something should happen that I would need a change or just decided it wasn't something I wanted to wear after all.

I so overpack!!! But I can't help it!!! What if ...... and then ....but....gotta be prepared for all those things!!! I keep thinking that "next time" I won't take as much and then we can self-assist for debarkation!!! The agony of it all.... :eek:

OK I confess I also am an overpacker, but at home I have a very small wardrobe so dressing up on a cruise is a blast, even my husband enjoys it. I don't think it would really be that bad if you didn't have to fly, but dragging those suitcases around an airport terminal is a real pain. Oh well, I should look awesome in my new duds and while I am confessing I will say that I started packing for this cruise the moment I got off my last one 2 1/2 years ago.

My husband says I can take one BIG rolling suitcase and a carry-on, and the formal clothes we will put in a garment bag. So limited to one suitcase, I lay out all the shorts and slacks I will need for X days and find tops that will go with each (plus 1 or 2 extra). I take black sandals, tan sandals, flip flops, and ONE pair of dress shoes that will go with both of my formal outfits. X-2 sets of underwear and plan to wash clothes on a port day where I have a short or no excursion. My night clothes go in the carry-on along with my swimsuit. I usually wear jeans, tennies, and a light jacket down, so these don't take up room in the case. Remember, you will probably pick up some T-shirts in one or another port, so you don't need to pack as many shirts.

Oh it's not just you. I pack for "what if" scenerios. Like what if I'm hot, what if I'm cold, what if ..... anything. Then I pack way too much. Unfortunately I've handed the overpacking gene down to my daughters and now we are all packed and ready to leave and I have 7 large suitcases. (We had to weigh them and reshift several times in order to get them all under 50 lbs.). I travel alot and it never goes away. The one time I traveled lightly I needed things I forgot, so I overcompensate now. So if you see the Liberty tilting back tommorrow it's because they've loaded my luggage!!!!! ;)

I'm guilty too. The last few trips we took I used the bags you can squeeze the air out of. I put the kids outfits in gallon zip locks, each bag had a whole outfit, that was actually handy because DH didn't have to match things up. BUT, I must have brought an extra week's worth of cloths for each child.:o I keep thinking what if's. I also bring too much for myself...oops, but not nearly as bad. Shoe's are really an issue....mind you I probably wear the same pair most of the time....but what IF I want to wear a different one......:) Anyway, when you can get a lot more in a suitcase squeezing the air out....course the bags are heavier too....we do (I do) a lot of clothes shuffling....we weigh our suitcases before we leave.

I keep telling myself if I really need something I could send out the laundry, don't want to do it myself on vacation get enough of that normally. I forsake anything that seems like housework when crusing (ie: laundry, cooking, dishes.....I do keep my room picked up, can't stand it a mess).

DH does much better. Actually suggested we don't go to the dining room this time (wouldn't need so many clothes :cool: ). I LOVE going to the dining room, like the experience. Besides, we have all the clothes to wear and NEVER wear them otherwise.....so why not.

We take one medium rolling suitcase and one backpack - for all 4 of us! I've gotten the whole packing thing down to a science. I used to overpack and bring at least 2 times the amount of clothes we needed, "just in case." With self assist debarkation, though, we now pack very lightly so we can get off the ship early and easily.

Logically, realistically I know I'm not going to need so many clothes but I keep putting them in the suitcase anyway. In the 'real world' I don't dress in something different for breakfast, lunch, dinner, excursion, evening entertainment, etc... so why, oh why, do I think I will be doing it on a cruise? Happens every time, and at the end of the cruise I just wind up putting half the clothes away again, unworn. And I can't stop myself. I just can't.

When you might spill something on yourself so then you have to change...then your shoes don't match...so you have to change them...then you're make needs redone...so you have to change that....So, yes I completely understand overpacking! My last cruise we had 11 pieces of luggage!

I put everything I think I need out on the bed in the guest bedroom, probably a week early, and then I start eliminating. I write down what I think I need as far as numbers of pairs of shorts, etc. and try to make my list reality. I used to take far too much but like it better for moving around pre and post cruise to have just enough. My husband has always been conservative in his packing and on a cruise ship with no do it yourself laundromat we had to send his underwear out.:eek:

It is possible to unlearn overpacking or as I do now get close to just a little bit extra.:)

But what if I spill something every night??? Then I will be very happy that I packed all that I did:D

I lay all the coordinating color outfits on the bed.....you think I am finished?

No way..........I have to add more.........you would think by now with all the cruises I have been on I would know better...............NOT:eek:

I still over pack.............................AND if you think I am bad, you ought to see by DH............

At least I don't do this with shoes because I have horrible feet and have limited shoes..........but outfits??? Oh my....sorry I have no advice for you............I just give in and accept my fate:)

We didn't wear half of what we packed for our last cruise, so we are committed to packing light! I packed a casual outfit for every day & a dress outfit. Well, the reality is I lived in my swimsuit during the day, so I never wore those casual clothes. I think I packed an extra dress outfit or two as well, so I could choose what I wanted. Well not this year! We're packing two pairs of shorts each & 3-4 shirts. For dinner I'm packing things that I can mix & match, those khaki capris will go with a lot of different tops! I may even wear the same dress for both formal nights. I have a red formal gown from a wedding in December, but not sure I want to deal with that.

I say all this, but we'll see how we do! :D

I ended up needing an extra suitcase for other essencials.

i.e. duct tape, post-its, highlighter, power strip.....etc. ect. ect

I always pack a geiger counter, mine finder, bullet proof vest, and 5 extra magazines of .38 Supers. :D :eek:

Yep, Wife and I always over pack for all vacations.

DH made fun of me when I was packing for our first cruise - I had read all the "what did you forget to take" threads. But, he did appreciated the duct tape and the extra duffle bags when he decided to do some of our Christmas shopping in Cozumel. On the clothing front - my cruise wardrobe is entirely mix and match (except for the formal outfits). I have 4 colors black, white, red and khaki. I can wear all of the shirts with any of the capris, shorts, skirts - so it really cut down on packing for the 2nd cruise.

We always take one outfit each for the X number of nights of dining room experience. Day time clothes is a couple of bathing suits each; 1/2 of X number of days for pants or shorts for day time and tours to wear, plus one extra; tops,socks and underwear for each of us for every day plus a couple of extras, DW also takes X number of nylons plus a couple for the night time dining room experience; shoes...me one pair dress, one pair casual, one pair sneakers, one pair flip flops: DW is a different story...besides the sneakers, flip flops, she takes an additional 4-5 pairs of shoes. The DW will also take a sweater, jacket and a sweat shirt with her. Me...if the weather is questionable I will pack a jacket extra only.

The clothes we use for the drive down and then going back home is packed in a separate suitcase and left with the car while on the cruise.

Years ago my DW was such an over packer that at one point in time I had to make a rule that everyone had to carry their own suitcase when going on a trip. If you can not get your suitcase to the car and in the trunk...you might just want to think about leaving something home or taking an additional suitcase. MY BACK THANKS YOU VERY MUCH! :D

Oh I almost forgot to mention the suitcase needed for the popcorn popper, blender and 'other cruise necessities'? :eek:

Don

We take one medium rolling suitcase and one backpack - for all 4 of us! I've gotten the whole packing thing down to a science. I used to overpack and bring at least 2 times the amount of clothes we needed, "just in case." With self assist debarkation, though, we now pack very lightly so we can get off the ship early and easily.

Ok, spill it. I don't think I could ever manage that. The little ones alone each have a rolling carry on.

Last trip in December I couldn't get everything back in my suitcases (I guess I bought too much), wound up having to by a duffle in the gift shop...set me back $100 :eek: -- I don't think all the other luggage I have put together cost me that much...j/k, but it was a lot for me to pay for 1 bag. Funny thing is I remember buying the bag but not what we couldn't fit in our luggage....must have been important stuff. :rolleyes:

The bright side is I love the bag we use it for every weekend trip we take, all 4 us can manage to fit in 1 bag for short trips. But, I won't take it on an airplane again....don't want it to get ruined. I lose a piece of luggage (meaning damaged) almost every trip.

Please give me details - what should I pack for 2 days prior, 6 day cruise and 2 days after. Flying from NY in November to Florida. Help!!! Started putting outits together, but feel I'm already overpacking. First time cruising, so don't want to start off lugging more than I need to. We are i.e. shirts, shorts, pants, etc.):confused:

TIA :)

Please give me details - what should I pack for 2 days prior, 6 day cruise and 2 days after. Flying from NY in November to Florida. Help!!! Started putting outits together, but feel I'm already overpacking. First time cruising, so don't want to start off lugging more than I need to. We are i.e. shirts, shorts, pants, etc.):confused:

TIA :)

I overpack for cruises so I won't be much help for that part but if you can try to wear the same two outfits for the 2 days prior in New York and the 2 days after it would probably help.

Does anyone feel like they "need" to fill up their suitcases? I have two extra large duffle bags from L.L. Bean and I think if I tried really hard I could take just one of them but I feel like I need to use both!

I also am a worrier so I always think of the "what if" scenarios as well and overpack for that reason...mostly tops.

OVERPACKERS UNITE!

Anyone else hate that 50 lb rule on the airlines? What are they trying to do to us? Some of my suitcases are heavy without clothes in them! I've already had to re-arrange at curbside twice on the way home! :mad:

I think the overpacking gene is hereditary... my 14yo DD is just like me :eek: ! The two of us can pack a suitcase full of just shoes!:eek: :eek:

P.S. Sometimes, the "what if' really happens. We travel in February and spend a couple of days pre-cruise in Florida. This past February, it was COLD in Florida (not beach weather by any means). Good thing I packed the sweatshirts, jeans, etc. (Unfortunately, we somehow forgot all of DDs shorts at home....:eek: but that's another story!)

OVERPACKERS UNITE!

Anyone else hate that 50 lb rule on the airlines? What are they trying to do to us? Some of my suitcases are heavy without clothes in them! I've already had to re-arrange at curbside twice on the way home! :mad:

I think the overpacking gene is hereditary... my 14yo DD is just like me :eek: ! The two of us can pack a suitcase full of just shoes!:eek: :eek:

P.S. Sometimes, the "what if' really happens. We travel in February and spend a couple of days pre-cruise in Florida. This past February, it was COLD in Florida (not beach weather by any means). Good thing I packed the sweatshirts, jeans, etc. (Unfortunately, we somehow forgot all of DDs shorts at home....:eek: but that's another story!)

We could be OPA...Over Packers Anonymous!

Maybe it would be different if I had to take a plane. As it is, I live around 10 minutes from the port, and a relative drops us off at the curb where we hand the bags over to the porter... and they magically appear in our cabin! It's not like we're handling the bags very much at all... though when we went on an Alaskan cruise, I still overpacked and that was 3 planes and a train to get there.

And it's not just the clothing! What if I get a headache (I get one maybe once a year), or my son gets the sniffles, or my husband gets... um gas? I bring a book, and then need another book in case the first one is boring, or if I finish it too soon - and I'll still go to the library on board. And stuff for the kid to play with... and sneakers in case I want to work out (which I never do) and the what if list never ends. Sigh. Maybe in my next life I'll practice simplicity. :)

I over packed twice. My first and second cruise. I learned a lesson.

My first cruise was only 4 nights, and we took clothes for 8.

Our second cruise was 7, took clothes for 7, but ended up doing laundry and not wearing all of them, but most of them.

Third cruise, 3 nights, planned it just right.

I take 2 dresses only wear 1 most of the time. One pair fo dres shoes, and one pair of daily shoes, and my comfy around the house/ship shoes.

DD takes more than me, but she is 15. So go figure a teen.

Archived