Cod Hole / Lizard Island on a day trip?

farm girl

Has anyone gone to Lizard Island Island and then on to Cod Hole on a day snorkle trip? Is there any way to do this in one day? If not, is there an overnight trip? Is Lizard Island really about $1,200:( per person per night with a three night minimun? I do not want to spend that much and I do not want to camp out on Lizard. I really want to go to Cod hole and I am trying to figure out how to do it on a one or two day trip. Is Cod hole the only place to see big Cod?

Thank You

Jeno,

We did a similar trip to the one you are considering quite a few years ago, in fact it was in 1985.

We flew from Cairns to Cooktown for breakfast and then on to Lizard Island for lunch. On the way home we flew low over the reef all the way back to Cairns. It was a lovely, sunny day and the views of the reef from the plane were fantastic. I have never forgotten what a wonderful day we had. Hopefully you will also have good weather.

farm girl,

Lizard Island is one of our most exclusive resorts. Many well known Marlin fishermen from the U.S. go there in the season when the fish are biting. It is around $1346 per room per night. Here is the website: http://www.lizardislandresort.net/

It is a long way from Cairns and that alone will cost you over $300AUD per person for a return flight from Cairns. If you are on limited time, then I feel that you could do something better with your time up there.

Jennie

Thank you all for the information. I am trying now to arrange our trip so that we can spend more time on the GBR. I think I will need at least 3 nights to cover Cod hole and Lizard Island. I am now researching flight/live aboard boats. There is a boat that has flights out to it and then you stay for 3 nights. I have it in my mind that I have to see the giant cod and clams. Thank you again. I can't wait to get there!

Archived