Kota Kinabalu

jeno

Hey Jeanne, it's Steve from Cape Coral!

I was in Borneo last year for a couple weeks. We explored all three states, seeing orangutans, longhouses, and everything in between. Here is the description of our days from the tour companies website:

A short morning flight brings you to the tropical paradise of Kota Kinabalu, the capital of Sabah Province. Here, an orientation tour takes you to Signal Hill for a panoramic view of the city and the scenic islands off the South China Sea. Visit the Sabah Foundation building and the Phu Thou Se Chinese Temple.

Enjoy a leisurely drive into the countryside, passing by rice fields and megaliths. You will see the typical village of the “Kadazan”, Sabah’s largest ethnic group. At the Monsopiad Cultural Village, meet with the descendant of the famous “Monsopiad”, known as the greatest headhunter warrior in early centuries and see his collection of skulls. Afternoon visit to the Sabah State Mosque and to a local market.

The Monsopiad Cultural Village was interesting. Besides the buildings and demonstrations, there was a performance with dancing and audience participation. I had to try blowing out a balloon with a blow dart. Not as easy as it looks! http://www.monsopiad.com/ We had transportation, but I am sure you could take a taxi.

One day we had excellent dim sum at the downtown Hilton. It was all inclusive for one price, so we tried everything and anything. There sure isn't much meat on those chicken claws!

Along the waterfront there are more restaurants, some with lots and lots of fish swimming in many different tanks. I guess their fate is sealed.

I am sure you will have a great day!

Hi Steve,

Do you know we are Jeanne and Jeff that came to your home with Sandra (Sandydownunder) and Peter? I guess you probably do from your nice greeting, but you could just be greeting a neighbor :). We will be visiting Sandra in Brisbane on this same trip. It really is a small world, corny as it sounds. We will be on the Queen Victoria World Cruise.

I will work on this port right now!

Please say hello to Jean for us.

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne -

Yes, I knew it was either you or Jeff posting. Your cruise sounds awesome! I am going to China in October, so was checking the boards for information on Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong. I was surprised to see Kota Kinabalu on a topic line!

We don't have any cruises planned for this year, but will be on a Princess cruise to Antarctica in January.

Cheers! Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve - thank you for the information about Kota Kinabalu. There isn't much information about this port on CC at the moment so it's great to hear about your adventures!

We are on the Sapphire Princess Bangkok to Sydney cruise in December this year and this is one of our ports of call.

It is a small world Jeanne! We also got to know Sandra from Brisbane through Cruise Critic and recently found out that she is going on the same three South American cruises as we are in 2009. She lives about an hour's drive from the Gold Coast in Queensland where we live.

Joyce

• 2 months later...
Hey Jeanne, it's Steve from Cape Coral!

I was in Borneo last year for a couple weeks. We explored all three states, seeing orangutans, longhouses, and everything in between. Here is the description of our days from the tour companies website:

A short morning flight brings you to the tropical paradise of Kota Kinabalu, the capital of Sabah Province. Here, an orientation tour takes you to Signal Hill for a panoramic view of the city and the scenic islands off the South China Sea. Visit the Sabah Foundation building and the Phu Thou Se Chinese Temple.

Enjoy a leisurely drive into the countryside, passing by rice fields and megaliths. You will see the typical village of the “Kadazan”, Sabah’s largest ethnic group. At the Monsopiad Cultural Village, meet with the descendant of the famous “Monsopiad”, known as the greatest headhunter warrior in early centuries and see his collection of skulls. Afternoon visit to the Sabah State Mosque and to a local market.

The Monsopiad Cultural Village was interesting. Besides the buildings and demonstrations, there was a performance with dancing and audience participation. I had to try blowing out a balloon with a blow dart. Not as easy as it looks! http://www.monsopiad.com/ We had transportation, but I am sure you could take a taxi.

One day we had excellent dim sum at the downtown Hilton. It was all inclusive for one price, so we tried everything and anything. There sure isn't much meat on those chicken claws!

Along the waterfront there are more restaurants, some with lots and lots of fish swimming in many different tanks. I guess their fate is sealed.

I am sure you will have a great day!

Hi Steve

Not sure if you are still watching this thread, but we are interested in a tour doing the Bajau water village and the Monsopiad cultural village. Have you had any experience with the (KK Leisure Tour & Rent A Car Sdn Bhd

Lot 27, BLK E, 1st Flr Jalan Albert Kwok, Sedco Complex P.O. Box 16509 Kota Kinabalu Sabah) http://www.malaysiatour2u.com/index.php/category/tours/cultural-tour/

or do you have anybody you could recommend for a tour like this?

It is always a bit scary dealing with tour company's you know nothing about. Also do you know how fare the cultural village is from the port.

Any info would be appreciated.

Jette

Archived