why do people always complain about the food?

amjdcm

When someone says, "I particularly liked ____, but ____ was too heavy on the garlic", I listen to that person. That's a person who has considered the good and bad of the food and is making a specific criticism. I ignore people who make blanket statements like, "The food was all nasty."

I also think it's hillarious when people complain in a cruise review that the food was all substandard, type of food one would expect in a school cafeteria, beyond disgusting . . . and then in the very next paragraph say that they gained 8 pounds on the cruise! So you LIKE nasty food, do you? Interesting.

When someone says, "I particularly liked ____, but ____ was too heavy on the garlic", I listen to that person. That's a person who has considered the good and bad of the food and is making a specific criticism. I ignore people who make blanket statements like, "The food was all nasty."

I also think it's hillarious when people complain in a cruise review that the food was all substandard, type of food one would expect in a school cafeteria, beyond disgusting . . . and then in the very next paragraph say that they gained 8 pounds on the cruise! So you LIKE nasty food, do you? Interesting.

I like your gaining weight statement. So true. Cruiselover, Yes, they should offer the peanut butter and jelly. I don't understand all the bad remarks either. You can't please everyone all the time and I really do think the cruiselines do a good job at trying to please. By all means if anyone can get what a cruise offers for the same money go ahead and do it.

Sometimes I think that the people who have paid for the most expensive cabins think they deserve better service and food than those of us who paid for the cheapest cabin. It doesn't work that way on RCCL. whether you paid $500 or $2500pp, we all get the same food.

I'm taking my first NCL cruise next month and going into it with no preconceptions (SP?) about service and food.

If I'm not at work, I'm having a good time.

Just back from first cruise 17/08 Jewel Baltics.

Food was without fault where ever served. Staff could not be more attentive formal or casual. Buffet so varied and quality. Main dining many choices, at least 10 each night for entree. Waiter would bring extras when requested. I had 2 mains on lobster night and 3 desserts on another.

If you take advantage of all dining options you could eat 24 hours a day and it would all be great.

Because they have nothing better to do. And if you read in-between the lines they are complainting about everything else too. These people are probably self-centered unhappy people who thinks they are the only ones on the cruise and that the staff has to cater to them and them along. They don't take time to stop and think that the chef is trying to cook for 3,000 passengers and crew with 3,000 different tastes. They too dumb to realize that if they don't like the food that was served to them they can get the waiter/waiteress to bring them the menu and that they can order something else even if it is another salad and appertizer.

Just once I wish that the Head Waiter would step in and asked that person if they would like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich since nothing else seems to taste good to them. :p

Actually you have to feel sorry for them because they probably had a very unhappy childhood and grew up thinking that complainting was a normal. And now they are passing on this trait to their children.

My message to them is "get a life because the world does not revolve around you."

I replied to this thread earlier about the "rudeness" of some passengers - essentially the ugly american syndrome. I got quickly flamed, but reading your post made me think more.

My point on this - is yes - they do complain about every darn thing on a cruise. The particular cruise that came to mind was a Mariner cruise in May 05. I swear I've never seen ruder passengers - my DW and I were waiting to review cruises with the future cruise representative (who happened to be one of the entertainers helping out). He was very nice, but while there waiting the individual he was talking to just got all discombobulated that he couldn't get an aft (or some specific cabin#) on the cruise he was looking at and huffed off to discuss with his wife. At that time my wife and I got to speak to the future cruise helper and before we could sit down with him the same passenger came right back and was emphatic that he would drop everything to help him out when he returned from discussing his "non aft" cabin with his wife.

The future cruise director helped us out, but before we could get anything done the same jerk showed up and demanded to be seen. My DW and I explained that we were not sure which cruise, but we would check back or check with our TA at home. Since we were so patient and accomodating the future cruise director gave us a certificate for the $100 Ship board credit to be used with our TA at home (honored on our Rhapsody cruise in 06) of which I'm sure the idiot who pushed us aside because he was "SO IMPORTANT" would have never received such a deal.

But it seems you're right - and for all those people who do just complain, especially about the food - they should try to remember "When is the last time they tried to serve shrimp and lobster for 3000 of their closest friends - if they've got them"!

They just really bum me out.

How many people eat something different for dinner every night? How often do we eat the same food at home? With the same menu on board there re always at least 4-5 different entrees and then the 4-5 menu items that are available every evening - do you have a variety of 10 entrees at dinner on a regular basis?

I would agree that they might change things up but why all the complaining when there are still so many choices?

As has been said many times before some people live to complain. There is no pleasing everyone.

Your comment is very rude. Yes, it has a 'smiley face' after it, but it is still a very rude comment. <Stepping off my soapbox>

With the exception of a couple of dishes that I don't personally like, I think RCCL has very good food...especially considering they are making hundreds of dishes at a time. The only complaint my family has is the coffee (which I don't drink)...my husband swears it's from the prior cruise, lol. ;)

I agree about the food! my own personal opinion is its very good, but not spectacular (5 star), then again, I don't expect that, esp when they have so many meals to prepare! But a nice variety, and if you don't like what you initally ordered, you can ask for something else! or if you choose to have 2 appys and a salad for dinner, you can do that too! And its nice to sit and be waited on as well, our waiters were awesome! very good and funny too....Dinner was one of my favorite times, and i didn't want to miss one night!

Yeah, the coffee isn't so hot....I am a bit of a coffee snob; i like it very strong, and am particular about the cream, sugar, etc....so I'm always a bit disappointed by it, but hey, i still drink it....

What i really love is meeting the people at our table; that was the highlight for me! I went with a friend, and had 6 lovely people at our table, so in some ways, the food was secondary. And if you don't like the dinner, you can always find something to eat, ANY TIME!

I don't think I've ever had a bad meal on RCI, but many, many meals I LOVED.

Any menu I don't have to cook myself is fine dining (and I include McDonald's in that).

Beef or chicken has to be stringy, tough and dry as dust for me to leave it on the plate.

And any dessert with chocolate makes me a happy cruiser.

As for the menus always being the same, I guess my mind isn't the steel trap it used to be because I usually don't notice. If I ordered something yummy the first time, I wouldn't mind having it again 6-12 months later.

I'm not such a creature of habit that I always gravitate to the same meals everywhere I go, so I might order a meat dish one cruise, and pasta from the same menu the next.

I think few among us can claim they eat totally different meals 365 days a year. Poor things wouldn't know the meaning of the word "leftover." :D

I've never understood this either. I have had better food on some lines versus others, but the food was always outstanding in my opinion.

I've had meals that weren't good, cause I experimented and ordered that weird entree and it was just that I don't like quail, or escargot, or whatever. But I'm sure someone else thought it was fabulous!

I'm with the many posters before me that think if its a meal they didn't have to prepare, its a great meal! The people that complain imho shouldn't leave the house. There's no stopping what they'll find fault with.

The only way to find out if their post holds water is to book the cruise for yourself and make your own opinion.

Because they have nothing better to do. And if you read in-between the lines they are complainting about everything else too. These people are probably self-centered unhappy people who thinks they are the only ones on the cruise and that the staff has to cater to them and them along. They don't take time to stop and think that the chef is trying to cook for 3,000 passengers and crew with 3,000 different tastes. They too dumb to realize that if they don't like the food that was served to them they can get the waiter/waiteress to bring them the menu and that they can order something else even if it is another salad and appertizer.

Just once I wish that the Head Waiter would step in and asked that person if they would like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich since nothing else seems to taste good to them. :p

Actually you have to feel sorry for them because they probably had a very unhappy childhood and grew up thinking that complainting was a normal. And now they are passing on this trait to their children.

My message to them is "get a life because the world does not revolve around you."

Oh, you said this so good, your a breath of fresh air.

This thread has been so much fun to read! Thank you all! It's been interesting to read all the passionate posts about this topic.

I'd like to put another spin on things, if I may. Imagine a cruise ship with 2500 people. Since no two people are identical in every aspect, even identical twins, there are 2500 different sets of taste buds to contend with. Now (and here's the kicker) multiply that 2500 times 7 (for a seven-night cruise - and we're just talking dinner here, not breakast and lunch). Why? Because there are internal and external factors that can alter your tastes from day to day. If you have a cold, doesn't food taste different to you? If you are starved and thirsty because you've been really active all day, won't food taste different? If you've been snacking all day and are not terribly hungry, won't food taste different? If you are on medication for one thing or another, that will also affect your taste buds. Okay. The numbers: 2500 X 7 = 17,500. I'd find it a bit daunting to even TRY to satisfy all those sets of taste buds every time!

Personally, I like to try things I know I'd have difficulty preparing at home. If it tastes good, great! If not, I've been known to ask the waiter if I might try something else instead. In a matter of minutes, the new selection is placed before me. I don't get bent out of shape about the food on a cruise. There's bound to be something I will find enjoyable. Besides, food is only part of the cruise experience for me. Dining in the main dining room is about more than the food. It's also about meeting and mingling with your fellow passengers. And then there are all those exotic locales! All those adventurous excursions! All that entertainment! I don't know of a more exciting vacation, dollar for dollar, anywhere!

My sentiments exactly, I have allergies and some days things taste salty, or some days sweet,and so on.

I'm curious as to how many people out there have actually been to a five star restaurant in the first place since there's only a dozen or so in the entire country. So if you haven't eaten at one, how can you judge that your meal on the ship isn't five star? Frankly I'm just thrilled there's a place to eat without a price on the menu. None of the local hotels/motels around here offer free lunch/dinner with your room, and none of them have an ocean view!!

As for people who are bored with the menus, uh, some land restaurants don't change their menus that often either. Long story but we've been eating breakfast out quite a bit lately, and I am thoroughly bored with the menus at the places we've eaten at since we go there so often. I asked one place if they were going to add new items to their menu, and they said not likely in the foreseeable future.

I too have never understood the obsession with the food. Food to me is the least important thing on the cruise. DH and I typically eat at sports bars, about the fanciest place we would go is Bahama Breeze. Hate places like Morton's, Ruth Chris, etc as they are vastly overpriced. Give me a good sports bar where I can get a good salad or a chicken dish and I am happy. I always find more than enough to eat on the cruises and DH loves that he can have so many varieties of seafood and get some good steaks. Since I am pretty much a veggie, except for chix once in a while, I love that I can always find fruit, veggies, salads to eat.

And don't forget the Cookies in the Promenade - to die for!!!!!!!!!

If there is one thing I would like, it would be more low call snacky type foods to take to the islands with me. But no big deal and certainly nothing to complain about, I just always pack pretzels or Wows to take with me for the beach days.

There was a time when one did look forward to the food on a mass market line...long gone now :). The food is decent, nicely presented etc. but that is all it is. Anyone looking for outstanding food on a mass market line will be disappointed. Even Chops/Portofinos, while good, are over rated IMHO. It's all about the daily budgeted amount of money per passenger per day.

As has been said, can there be a more subjective topic than food? :D

Don't understand it either. Have asked several people if I can come to their house for dinner. I believe people think if they complain about the food it makes them look classy. Have never had a bad meal Some times things are prepared differently than I like. Have had 2 of the top 10 meals of my life on board.

There was a time when one did look forward to the food on a mass market line...long gone now :). The food is decent, nicely presented etc. but that is all it is. Anyone looking for outstanding food on a mass market line will be disappointed. Even Chops/Portofinos, while good, are over rated IMHO. It's all about the daily budgeted amount of money per passenger per day.

As has been said, can there be a more subjective topic than food? :D

Well, having spent a good part of the last 36 years in the kitchen cooking for the equivalent of a basketball team, I`m of the opinion that if I don`t have to shop, chop, cook or clean up after, it`s good food. Plus it always tastes better when someone else cooks it. Plus, I do NOT make duck a l`orange, Vidalia onion tart, flourless chocolate cake, OR the chilled soups nearly as well as the folks on the ship. Plus the wonderful roast beef.....oh I could go on but I won`t.:D

Unfortunately some people do have a rather over-developed sense of entitlement. Too bad. Life is too short to get too picky.

Fran in Toronto

Those of us who have cruised for a long time (in our case its about 35 years) understand that the cruise lines created this "food monster" with their marketing and high quality in years past. Food was one of the highlights of most cruises, and in the "ole days" there were huge mid-night buffets every night (except the last night) which were often themed and terrific. We also got spoiled by the maitre'ds making pasta on the dining room floor, cooking flambe's within site of the table, etc etc. Now, its generally banquet food unless you opt for the alternative restaurants where you pay for food that might be near the quality you used to get in the dining room. Would I complain about a tough steak (if we can even get a real steak), overcooked fish, cold food, etc etc. Of course not :)

Hank

Mu DH works very hard and has a very stressful job. He has limited vacation time that he can use. When we choose where to spend our vacation time and money we want to receive exactly what is advertised. If the cruise line advertised 'fine dining' we expect it. If we chose instead to spend our week in Las Vegas we KNOW we can get a 5 star hotel, we KNOW we can get to choose from multiple TOP restaurants, many of them 5 star. Where people dress appropriately - by the way!

So - if a ship advertises top food WE EXPECT IT!

I expect Hollandaise to be done correctly - it is a simple sauce - I prepare it all of the time - if I can do it correctly they certainly can. CCL's idea of a New York strip steak was a piece of beef that was barely a 1/2" thick. It was so thin that it could not even be prepared as 'medium' it was well done just putting it on the grill. It was an insult to the steer and to me! That is the kind of steak I would get at Denny's or a Golden Corral Steakhouse. Their lobster tail looked like overgrown shrimp they were so small - no wonder people eat more than one.

It is fine if that is what you like - just don't expect everyone to like it - .

If folks are unhappy they have the right to complain about what they do not like. Just as they have the right to rave about what they love.

That is what Cruise Critic is here for - right?

Mu DH works very hard and has a very stressful job. He has limited vacation time that he can use. When we choose where to spend our vacation time and money we want to receive exactly what is advertised. If the cruise line advertised 'fine dining' we expect it. If we chose instead to spend our week in Las Vegas we KNOW we can get a 5 star hotel, we KNOW we can get to choose from multiple TOP restaurants, many of them 5 star. Where people dress appropriately - by the way!

So - if a ship advertises top food WE EXPECT IT!

I expect Hollandaise to be done correctly - it is a simple sauce - I prepare it all of the time - if I can do it correctly they certainly can. CCL's idea of a New York strip steak was a piece of beef that was barely a 1/2" thick. It was so thin that it could not even be prepared as 'medium' it was well done just putting it on the grill. It was an insult to the steer and to me! That is the kind of steak I would get at Denny's or a Golden Corral Steakhouse. Their lobster tail looked like overgrown shrimp they were so small - no wonder people eat more than one.

It is fine if that is what you like - just don't expect everyone to like it - .

If folks are unhappy they have the right to complain about what they do not like. Just as they have the right to rave about what they love.

That is what Cruise Critic is here for - right?

Well, I sorta agree with you. We use to have pretty high expectations of the food on cruises, and have since learned that the fine dining is in the specialty restaurants.

And that makes a lot of sense.

Take the hollandaise sauce, for example. I have made it a few times, but not for 800 people. I would expect the recipe does not scale well.

So I still love cruising, and I love the dining, but I have learned, as you have, that it's unlikely to blow you away. But the food seems generally fine, kinda like, I don't know, Outback? But with better service and a table cloth and you can have seconds of anything.

I mean - it is what it is. The food on the major lines, I think, is unlikely to vary substantially.

Nothing wrong, though, with saying "I like steaks on xyz better than abc" and weighing that when choosing your cruise lines.

If I want something higher end, then it's not going to be on a mid-range cruise ship, and I'm going to have to pay more. (Maybe I will start pricing out some of the Las Vegas vacations you mentioned!) The specialty restaurants are a wonderful alternative when we want some real pampering and great chow. In fact, we have even thought someday we might splurge on a cruise where we eat there every night, for another $250-300 or so per person.

I have not complained about the food, I am not overweight(130lbs) and I eat to live, LIVE TO EAT! I can say that the quality of food on RC has gone downhill over the years, Yes it has and RCI knows this. along with the selection. I always enjoy my cruises, no matter what may afeect it ( food, weather, crowds, kids, etc.) that is because I love to Cruise. Yay! I agree 100%

This is a public open forum, for people who are seeking information on cruising. Whether it be about the food, type of cabin, kids onboard, etc. What should anyone care about someone elses opinion. If it offends you, then click on the X in the top right corner and MOVE ON! Someone may think McDonalds has great food, where others wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. It's an opinion. People need to know others opinions on subjects in order to get a feel of what they will encounter.

On my way to check the popcorn in the MIC!

Just stumbled on this thread and relaxing and reading through some.

*smiles* I just had to comment on; "public open forum for information......" SO glad to hear someone else mention this aspect of Cruise Critic and forums. This is actually a place to offer others facts (if you read CCs rules and guidelines), so I also often wonder the same WHY'S.....Why care, why be offended, why give a snide comment to others..WHY???? When you can simply click on the X! lolol If there is something you didnt like about your cruise, state it and the reason why- but back it up with a rational explanation. (ie: sushi is not made with "ham", therefore I viewed it as faux sushi- RCI makes an effort to pls the eye, but it stops there as they dont know what they are doing when it comes to sushi and it surely did not taste like anything we've ever had from a reputable restaurant) You can not battle the comment/explanation b/c it is mere fact. :eek:

Im just glad someone else has mentioned this too. It is refreshing, thx.

Onto the food- this is what makes cruising a mystery to some that have never cruised- some get the impression it is all about the food when it isnt. On my recent review I stated the facts and then some "opinions".

The facts were about the "sushi" and the WJ buffet foods for breakfast.

Truth is, peoples palates are very different and while some eat

Mc Donalds/fast food, some wouldnt think of eating it even if it is served to them :eek: I would drive 10 miles if I had to in order to find something different.

Hey, here is a bottom line,,, why cruise if you come back & complain? Hmm, just a puzzling/passing thought, LMAO

We expect good food (not 5* like we have in the city) and the food is good. Im confused by why some people think it is FREE though, the food isnt free, you pay for it when you book, along w/ your cabin. Just our take on vacationing. If you go to a land based all inclusive...do you think your food is free?

Frequently the complaints tell you more about the complainer than about the food, so take every criticism with at least a grain of salt.

That's it exactly. I've eaten often at fine restaurants (including one classified as the best in the USA at the time) and I've also eaten at plenty of fast food joints. I have different expectations at each, and am generally satisfied.

I don't expect "fine cuisine" on a mass market cruise line, no matter what the advertising says. Even Chops and Portofino, while better than the main dining room, do not (in my opinion) offer "fine cuisine." But I haven't complained about the food either in the dining room or the specialty restaurants on any of the cruises I've taken. It met my expectations, I didn't have to cook, and I didn't have to wash dishes.

I'm continually surprised (I know, I shouldn't be) by people who find the advertising for a product (whether a cruise or a lawn chair) to be different from the reality. Food is just one of these products, and people should realize that they're not going to get "great" food when the kitchen is churning out meals for a couple of thousand people.

I enjoyed the food on RCI. It met my expectations, and exceeded in some cases! Of course, I usually spend a month eathing nothing but Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice dinners before going on a vacation, so after dieting, it all tastes really good!

I thought Windjammer was good for a buffet. Nice selection of different ethnic foods, good selection of healthier choices.. and the service was good. Friendly waitstaff! Very convenient.

The main dining room was great.. banquet-style, but I thought it was much better than most "wedding reception" food I've had. Interesting menu items, got to try some things I normally wouldn't, and it was all displayed pretty. The waitstaff again was very friendly. We had interesting/friendly tablemates and none of them seemed to complain about the food. In fact, we'd often share between us, so we could sample the menu.

The Solarium - we got a few pieces of pizza here and there.. it was decent.

Room service - The cheese tray was nice (especially paired with a glass of wine). We also ordered some salads and such. I thought the food got there in a decent amount of time considering it was dinner time.. probably took about a half an hour.

Drinks - the beverages were always good. I never had a watered-down, weak, or overpowering drink. The wine selection isn't horrible, either. I'm not a wine snob, but I do drink wine often, and could find something on their list that tasted good to me.

I would never call it "fine dining".. but I thought it was better-than-average on the banquet style food and buffet food that I get here at home. Not to mention - the waitstaff is so darn nice! They seemed so accommodating, too. I'm sure if someone ordered something they didn't particularly care for, the wait staff would be more than happy to bring something else out.

Just my 2 cents!

Archived