why do people always complain about the food?

amjdcm

Did you bring it to someone's attention that there was a problem???

Your expectations are perfectly reasonable... but if there was a problem and you said nothing... how are they supposed to know and then rectify the situation???

Yes, we did. I suppose this is one of those "you had to be there" situations. The next step would have been the Headwaiter, who was very unapproachable, and clearly didn't want to be there, either. (Sorry if this is redundant info. for anyone who's seen my other AOS thread.)

The whole experience just perpetuated itself, making for a very uncomfortable time in the dining room.

Spending time with my family in the dining room is one of the most precious memories I take away from cruising. It became more stressful than it was worth. At that point, we decided to forgo lobster night (one of our favorite nights) and go to Portofino again, instead, to avoid any more disappointment. The last night was spent in the W/J and JR's.

In our years of cruising we had never gone to W/J for dinner until now. The dining room is a large part of what makes cruising special to us. It was particularly unfortunate to miss our last night.

The whole experience was so out of character...

Oh well, it was just one of those things... Hopefully we'll have better luck next time around.

You sound like a very reasonable person...

I'm sure someone has suggested it, but it can't hurt to write them a letter and let them know of your experience (if you haven't done so already)...

The key to those types of letters is not to demand anything but more to express your disappointment and how much you have cherished the experience previously...

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar... I am always surprised by how I am compensated when I approach a complaint without any expectation of compensation ... then if I get nothing, I'm not super disappointed... It's the gesture that means more to me than the actual compensation... When a company simply ignores my complaint, I take my business elsewhere... if they at least take the time to acknowledge my experience, that's at least enough for me to give them another try and chalk up the bad experience as merely bad luck...

You sound like a very reasonable person...

I'm sure someone has suggested it, but it can't hurt to write them a letter and let them know of your experience (if you haven't done so already)...

The key to those types of letters is not to demand anything but more to express your disappointment and how much you have cherished the experience previously...

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar... I am always surprised by how I am compensated when I approach a complaint without any expectation of compensation ... then if I get nothing, I'm not super disappointed... It's the gesture that means more to me than the actual compensation... When a company simply ignores my complaint, I take my business elsewhere... if they at least take the time to acknowledge my experience, that's at least enough for me to give them another try and chalk up the bad experience as merely bad luck...

Good advice :) I thought about that... At the moment, my focus is still getting through these mountains of laundry :D Any suggestions as to whom/where I should send it ??

Big difference. First of all, I really enjoy Applebee's alot. But I have been to many fine steakhouses (Morton's, Capital Grill, Oak Room, Shula's, etc). There is a major difference in grading (prime, choice, select, etc), hence, marbling.....Angus or non-Angus......the farm at which it is bred and raised....the cooking method (under a salamander or on a grill)....aging (dry-age, wet-age, length of aging)....etc, etc, etc......the biggest difference of all - is tenderness and flavor. All the factors noted in this paragraph is the difference between a $15 steak at Applebee's and a $100 steak at a great steakhouse.

True test: cook both of those steaks the same way at your house and you will notice a huge difference in quality, flavor, tenderness, etc....all in the same atmosphere.

While I agree with most of what you say, don't get caught up in the Angus marketing ploy. There are other breeds of beef that are much better. Angus are just easier and cheaper to fatten for slaughter. :rolleyes:

I hear a lot of people saying that RCCL is cooking for the masses so you can't compare it to a land based restaurant. So why not compare it to other cruise lines, who are cooking for the masses too?

I have never been on RCCL yet so I cannot give an opinion of their food. I can say that I've had Carnival's food, which I thought was great, and I've had NCL's food, which I thought was not so great.

There are a few things that can really make the difference in food on a cruiseline (or any restaurant for that matter):

- The quality of the food they are buying.

- The experience/ability of the staff.

- The recipes they use.

So for the people who think RCCL is only so-so, is it because the food seems like a cheaper grade? Is the food prepared wrong (tough, over cooked, etc.)? Or is it the recipe (or lack of)? Or maybe a combination of things?

Please don't be shy, I would like to know. It's not complaining if someone is asking for your opinion.

I've found their food to be very good, overall. There is the occasional dish that I end up disappointed with, but most of it is fine. It rarely evokes a, "Wow! That was one of the best meals of my life!" kind of reaction, but it truly is difficult to make that kind of impression, when you're feeding thousands of people on a cruise ship.

They use mostly fresh produce (I remember watching them load a lot of it on the ship on embarkation day. :)).

The meats are not all frozen, as some people have claimed, but much of it is. But frozen meats can still be very good, if handled properly.

I've never experienced the disappointment some have with the sauces and seasonings, either. I think the sauces generally range from average to a little above average.

The salads are usually fresh and crisp and the dressings are good.

I usually find the soups to be excellent.

The desserts range from average to excellent.

The portions are on the small side. Some people complain about that. I prefer it that way, because it allows me to sample a salad, appetizer (sometimes a soup as well), entree and dessert, without either being way overfull or wasting half the food.

That's my take on it. But then, you asked for opinions from those who thought it was only so-so. :o

Newbeestl,

I know what you mean about the Angus ploy...I just wanted to add that term into my response in order to show off the myriad types of beef (I omitted Wagyu and Kobe - had the Wagyu and it is the same as prime). These days, Angus doesn't carry the weight it used to years ago since evry grocery store and fast food chain has their own "angus"

Give me a USDA Prime Ribeye, dry-aged about 5 weeks, broiled under a salamander any day/...

I have been associated with the food business...off and on...for most of my life. I worked in some of the finest restaurants when I was young and I have seen a lot of kitchens and also owned a restaurant once upon a time.

The food on RCI varies from ship to ship...depending on who is in the galley. You hear complaints about the food because of the quality being produced in the galley. If the kitchen crew is not sharp and is not working up to a high level...then you will receive less than good food. I have never thought of RCI as a great source of haute cuisine. The food on RCI is sometimes very good and sometimes not so good. I wish they could become more uniform in quality but such is the nature of the beast...some chefs are a lot better than others and some chefs are not only great but they can get their galley crew to work up to their expectation. I have sometimes had to order 2 dinners at the same time...just to be able to pick through a meal and end up with 1 good dinner. If I wanted great cuisine I would probably be paying a lot more $$ on a premium line. I find that if I am on a ship for 10 days or more that I end up eating less anyway...I just get sick of eating and I will skip meals and wait until I was really hungry. I guess you have to factor in the other elements of a cruise...like service, entertainment etc. The high activity level on RCI is also a big factor for me...as I enjoy all the action and people watching. The more I cruise...the less I have come to be dependent upon "haute cusine". I am perfectly happy with the "nuts and bolts" basics. If I want a really good meal I can go to Chops or Portofino. The bottom line: I have never gone hungry on RCI.

This thread has been so much fun to read! Thank you all! It's been interesting to read all the passionate posts about this topic.

I'd like to put another spin on things, if I may. Imagine a cruise ship with 2500 people. Since no two people are identical in every aspect, even identical twins, there are 2500 different sets of taste buds to contend with. Now (and here's the kicker) multiply that 2500 times 7 (for a seven-night cruise - and we're just talking dinner here, not breakast and lunch). Why? Because there are internal and external factors that can alter your tastes from day to day. If you have a cold, doesn't food taste different to you? If you are starved and thirsty because you've been really active all day, won't food taste different? If you've been snacking all day and are not terribly hungry, won't food taste different? If you are on medication for one thing or another, that will also affect your taste buds. Okay. The numbers: 2500 X 7 = 17,500. I'd find it a bit daunting to even TRY to satisfy all those sets of taste buds every time!

Personally, I like to try things I know I'd have difficulty preparing at home. If it tastes good, great! If not, I've been known to ask the waiter if I might try something else instead. In a matter of minutes, the new selection is placed before me. I don't get bent out of shape about the food on a cruise. There's bound to be something I will find enjoyable. Besides, food is only part of the cruise experience for me. Dining in the main dining room is about more than the food. It's also about meeting and mingling with your fellow passengers. And then there are all those exotic locales! All those adventurous excursions! All that entertainment! I don't know of a more exciting vacation, dollar for dollar, anywhere!

Newbeestl,

I know what you mean about the Angus ploy...I just wanted to add that term into my response in order to show off the myriad types of beef (I omitted Wagyu and Kobe - had the Wagyu and it is the same as prime). These days, Angus doesn't carry the weight it used to years ago since evry grocery store and fast food chain has their own "angus"

Give me a USDA Prime Ribeye, dry-aged about 5 weeks, broiled under a salamander any day/...

Here, here. :D

People need to really understand how many people are fed on these cruise ships. I bet there are always going to be some that complain whether it's legitimate or not. That's how it goes with a bunch of people. Looking at just steaks, you could serve identical steaks to two people and one would say it was awesome and the other wouldn't like it. That's just taste.

Bye the way, a local farmer is currently fattening a Charolais for me. He's running it on full feed for an extra month just to get him a little fatter. Never had any antibiotics or hormones. I just wish I could dry age him for awhile! I just don't have access to the facilities though. :(

We just returned from the Mariner. I thought the food was just OK. My only complaint about the food was that the hot food wasn't hot and the cold food wasn't cold. I agree they are serving a lot of people, however, if they can't serve that many people and serve the food the temperature it should be, then they need to think of another way to serve. We enjoyed the dining experience and loved having time to talk with our tablemates.

IMHO cruise food tastes like mass produced banquet food and regardless of the cruise lines that I have sailed, it all tastes the same. I keep in mind that they are trying to serve over 3000 guests in a few hours. Anyone that goes on a "mass" market line and expects five star dining is going to be very unhappy. Not going to happen.

Also when I read comments about food I take it with a grain of salt. This subject has to be one of the most subjective areas that we can discuss. There is no right or wrong answer because it is someones opinion and not a fact.

I always like the food. I'm not too picky. I do have to admit that the menu has become boring and needs updating. When I cruised on Carnival last I thought the food was so fabulous...then I realized I thought that just because the menu was different than RCI. The food is really the same quality. If RCI changed their menu each year, they would probably be receiving compliments on the same quality food.

You're absolutely right, Mommabean. (I wonder if RC reads these posts?)

I've only been on two cruises, but I remembered a few things on the menu from the year before, so I could see how for frequent cruisers it could get old real fast. I've never had a bad meal cruising though, and have enjoyed everything about it so far.

I hear a lot of people saying that RCCL is cooking for the masses so you can't compare it to a land based restaurant. So why not compare it to other cruise lines, who are cooking for the masses too?

I have never been on RCCL yet so I cannot give an opinion of their food. I can say that I've had Carnival's food, which I thought was great, and I've had NCL's food, which I thought was not so great.

There are a few things that can really make the difference in food on a cruiseline (or any restaurant for that matter):

- The quality of the food they are buying.

- The experience/ability of the staff.

- The recipes they use.

So for the people who think RCCL is only so-so, is it because the food seems like a cheaper grade? Is the food prepared wrong (tough, over cooked, etc.)? Or is it the recipe (or lack of)? Or maybe a combination of things?

Please don't be shy, I would like to know. It's not complaining if someone is asking for your opinion.

I have cruised with Carnival many times and find no difference between RCI and Carnival when it comes to food with the exception of pizza and I don't choose a cruise line due to pizza.:)

For the longest time Carnival had the same menus. As a matter of fact some of the same items are still on the menu years later. I actually knew what I was going to eat each evening before opening the menu due to cruising with them over and over.

People need to really understand how many people are fed on these cruise ships. I bet there are always going to be some that complain whether it's legitimate or not. That's how it goes with a bunch of people. Looking at just steaks, you could serve identical steaks to two people and one would say it was awesome and the other wouldn't like it. That's just taste.

Bye the way, a local farmer is currently fattening a Charolais for me. He's running it on full feed for an extra month just to get him a little fatter. Never had any antibiotics or hormones. I just wish I could dry age him for awhile! I just don't have access to the facilities though. :(

I think it is good that you understand about drug abuse to animals, I think it is also good that you give the beast another month to mature, not long enough in my opinion, the charolais is a much faster growing animal than the angus, so it reaches slaughter quicker, hence profit, also the way the beast is killed affects, the meat, I do not like a beast that I am going to eat to spend to much time near the slaughter house smelling the blood of other animals, getting stressed etc this does affect the meat, also the angus debate, scottish reared angus tends to be reared on grass in scotland it does not get other feed to speed up its weight gain so it matures slowly, it moves more its muscle develops properly,then aged properly, I buy my meat in a piece called a "choice cut" this is the rump, sirlion, fillet on the T bone, it is then weighed fresh and I pay for it then, it is then aged for me for 31 days, it loses a lot of moisture, shrinks, and has a very dark brown on the outside, I then butcher, after cooking a steak, I place on a warm plate cover with foil with the shiney side down to reflect the heat back for 5mins to let it relax, buy the way with the trimmings I course mince, adding 15% of the fat, that burger is the best, the bones I roast then make stock, to use in sauces, I live to eat ,not eat to live, regards

Go to Cooks Illustrated web site and see how to do a "dry-age" to a prime rib roast at home. I was surprised that the instructions were so very simple. It adds another dimension of flavor - but is obviously not as good as a steakhouse can do it (but still it works very well). That Charolais sounds delicious!

I think it is good that you understand about drug abuse to animals, I think it is also good that you give the beast another month to mature, not long enough in my opinion, the charolais is a much faster growing animal than the angus, so it reaches slaughter quicker, hence profit, also the way the beast is killed affects, the meat, I do not like a beast that I am going to eat to spend to much time near the slaughter house smelling the blood of other animals, getting stressed etc this does affect the meat, also the angus debate, scottish reared angus tends to be reared on grass in scotland it does not get other feed to speed up its weight gain so it matures slowly, it moves more its muscle develops properly,then aged properly, I buy my meat in a piece called a "choice cut" this is the rump, sirlion, fillet on the T bone, it is then weighed fresh and I pay for it then, it is then aged for me for 31 days, it loses a lot of moisture, shrinks, and has a very dark brown on the outside, I then butcher, after cooking a steak, I place on a warm plate cover with foil with the shiney side down to reflect the heat back for 5mins to let it relax, buy the way with the trimmings I course mince, adding 15% of the fat, that burger is the best, the bones I roast then make stock, to use in sauces, I live to eat ,not eat to live, regards

Wow, now your talking. I admire your dedication to food! I know I'm a long way off, but an invite for dinner would be nice. :D

RLMass, I checked into that and I think that might be something I can actually handle doing. I know what I'm going to do with one of the rib-eyes!

This thread has been so much fun to read! Thank you all! It's been interesting to read all the passionate posts about this topic.

I'd like to put another spin on things, if I may. Imagine a cruise ship with 2500 people. Since no two people are identical in every aspect, even identical twins, there are 2500 different sets of taste buds to contend with. Now (and here's the kicker) multiply that 2500 times 7 (for a seven-night cruise - and we're just talking dinner here, not breakast and lunch). Why? Because there are internal and external factors that can alter your tastes from day to day. If you have a cold, doesn't food taste different to you? If you are starved and thirsty because you've been really active all day, won't food taste different? If you've been snacking all day and are not terribly hungry, won't food taste different? If you are on medication for one thing or another, that will also affect your taste buds. Okay. The numbers: 2500 X 7 = 17,500. I'd find it a bit daunting to even TRY to satisfy all those sets of taste buds every time!

Personally, I like to try things I know I'd have difficulty preparing at home. If it tastes good, great! If not, I've been known to ask the waiter if I might try something else instead. In a matter of minutes, the new selection is placed before me. I don't get bent out of shape about the food on a cruise. There's bound to be something I will find enjoyable. Besides, food is only part of the cruise experience for me. Dining in the main dining room is about more than the food. It's also about meeting and mingling with your fellow passengers. And then there are all those exotic locales! All those adventurous excursions! All that entertainment! I don't know of a more exciting vacation, dollar for dollar, anywhere!

Very well said. For how many people that are served, don't forget the staff too, I think cruise ships do a pretty darn good job. While everyone may not like everything, you will never starve. I doubt that many people lose weight on a cruise. There almost is too much food always available. Maybe that has something to do with people not liking something. I give the cruise lines much credit for doing all they do. Just think of how little a cruise can cost in relation to getting the same meals at a restaurant. One trip to Red Lobster or Olive Garden can cost 50 for 2 and you can't really send it back just because you don't like it and get another whole dinner. I realize on occasion someone might do this, but on a cruiseship it's commonplace.

It's only the fat people who complain

Excuse me? That is a very insulting comment. You have insulted a LOT of people by this post!

If people don't like the food, it is a matter of opinion. I thought these boards were all about posting true opinions...hence the name "CruiseCRITIC". Please correct me if I am wrong......Isn't this where we are supposed to be able to come to comment about our experiences....good or bad?

If one doesn't like a certain post, shouldn't they just move on to the next one, instead of complaining about complaining?

Because they have nothing better to do. And if you read in-between the lines they are complainting about everything else too. These people are probably self-centered unhappy people who thinks they are the only ones on the cruise and that the staff has to cater to them and them along. They don't take time to stop and think that the chef is trying to cook for 3,000 passengers and crew with 3,000 different tastes. They too dumb to realize that if they don't like the food that was served to them they can get the waiter/waiteress to bring them the menu and that they can order something else even if it is another salad and appertizer.

Just once I wish that the Head Waiter would step in and asked that person if they would like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich since nothing else seems to taste good to them. :p

Actually you have to feel sorry for them because they probably had a very unhappy childhood and grew up thinking that complainting was a normal. And now they are passing on this trait to their children.

My message to them is "get a life because the world does not revolve around you."

Archived