Eurodam is taking shape

Copper10-8

Were the cabanas on the original plans? I just get the impression that these were and addition, as in "Hey! Let's do THIS!!"
I have deck plans older than 12/07, back when the (now) VT cabins on the Observation deck were called T cabins, had no verandahs, and the deck they are on was called the Sports deck. Back then the 14 cabanas up there didn't exist (or even the space to put them) but the Lido cabanas did exist already.

I think they are awful, taking away the sea views and valuable real estate from the majority of the passengers.:mad: The Retreat, on a seperate deck is a whole different story, those are out of the way and wont interfere with most people's enjoyment.

According to the deck plans there are 29 tables scattered around, most of them up at the forward end.

It looks to me like those low railings, which are up against the back row of loungers, don't leave much room in front of the cabanas to walk by. I think that will be a big bottleneck, and people in the cabanas will have people close to their "door" a lot.

I see in the deck plan 8 small cabanas on the port side and 5 larger cabanas on the starboard side (between the Terrace Bistro and the rest rooms) but the eurodamnews did say there will be just 8, IIRC. I guess those 5 spaces on the right aren't cabanas? It doesn't shown any tables inside them. :confused:

I don't think you're seeing 5 large cabanas on the starboard side. I think your're seeing an area that can be configured several different ways, but principally with tables and chairs.

I wonder where they'll hold the Bar-B-Q, given that the Eurodam's configuration cuts in half an already very crowded deck space?

I don't think you're seeing 5 large cabanas on the starboard side. I think your're seeing an area that can be configured several different ways, but principally with tables and chairs.
Or maybe at one point they were thinking of blocking both sides with cabanas, and somebody came to their senses! :D

I’m just curious what the big fuss is about with these cabanas…

When I was just on the Westerdam, I was able to see a ship where I imagine the Lido had the SAME dimensions as the Eurodam.

The area where the cabanas are, had a FEW longer tables to seat groups of maybe 8 or 10. There was one of the towel pick-up/drop off boxes (these are closer to the pool on Eurodam) and the ping pong tables. That was it… and it now has cabanas on one side.

The area by the lido bar AND the area by the hydropool at the ENDS of the pool both had a LOT of tables to sit and eat (yet still room to get between them easily) and along the sides of the pool there were deck chairs (2, MAYBE 3 deep).

Here’s the point I’m getting at:

WITH my mom’s wheelchair, there was still enough room to walk by, with my friend ALONGSIDE (not in front of or behind) me, and people walking 2 wide going the other direction.

HAL has simply taken an area that seemed a little sparse before, and given it a bit more of a purpose, and something of interest.

Now, of course everyone will have their opinion about whether or not they should be charged for them, but some of the hissy fits (not necessarily just on this thread) make it sound as though HAL is hell bent to make you pay out the nose OR stay in your room all day. Nothing could be further from the truth.

People are worried about space they are getting/losing onboard.

On Eurodam you are:

UP

Silk Den

Tamarind

Retreat

Area on top of Tamarind/Silk Den (Like Sky Deck over Crow’s Nest)

AND YOU GET A LITTLE MORE SPACE IN EXISTING AREAS DUE TO A:

Larger gym

Larger aft pool deck

Conversely, you are…

DOWN

A little room on each side of the lido pool at extreme starboard and aft sides.

I’ve also noticed that many of the people complaining (and I mean COMPLAINING, not just “I possibly wouldn’t use it…” statements) about the LIDO cabanas are of an age that don’t have younger kids and/or don’t travel with them. Remember folks, the Lido pool is the FAMILY pool. Weren’t a lot of you the same ones that complain from time to time about the noise and some splashing and so forth in that same area on a cruise that has higher than usual kid counts?? So AVOID IT, go to the more spacious than usual aft pool and stretch out, swim, smoke cigs OR cigars (if you’re so inclined) and make that area your “Retreat.”

There is simply no reason to bash on each and every token thing just because you might not like it, then swear off the ship as a whole when no HAL crew will ever be holding a gun to your head forcing you in that area…

*deep breath*

Just my thought on the matter...

:cool:

I’m just curious what the big fuss is about with these cabanas…

When I was just on the Westerdam, I was able to see a ship where I imagine the Lido had the SAME dimensions as the Eurodam.

The area where the cabanas are, had a FEW longer tables to seat groups of maybe 8 or 10. There was one of the towel pick-up/drop off boxes (these are closer to the pool on Eurodam) and the ping pong tables. That was it… and it now has cabanas on one side.

The area by the lido bar AND the area by the hydropool at the ENDS of the pool both had a LOT of tables to sit and eat (yet still room to get between them easily) and along the sides of the pool there were deck chairs (2, MAYBE 3 deep).

Here’s the point I’m getting at:

WITH my mom’s wheelchair, there was still enough room to walk by, with my friend ALONGSIDE (not in front of or behind) me, and people walking 2 wide going the other direction.

HAL has simply taken an area that seemed a little sparse before, and given it a bit more of a purpose, and something of interest.

Now, of course everyone will have their opinion about whether or not they should be charged for them, but some of the hissy fits (not necessarily just on this thread) make it sound as though HAL is hell bent to make you pay out the nose OR stay in your room all day. Nothing could be further from the truth.

People are worried about space they are getting/losing onboard.

On Eurodam you are:

UP

Silk Den

Tamarind

Retreat

Area on top of Tamarind/Silk Den (Like Sky Deck over Crow’s Nest)

AND YOU GET A LITTLE MORE SPACE IN EXISTING AREAS DUE TO A:

Larger gym

Larger aft pool deck

Conversely, you are…

DOWN

A little room on each side of the lido pool at extreme starboard and aft sides.

I’ve also noticed that many of the people complaining (and I mean COMPLAINING, not just “I possibly wouldn’t use it…” statements) about the LIDO cabanas are of an age that don’t have younger kids and/or don’t travel with them. Remember folks, the Lido pool is the FAMILY pool. Weren’t a lot of you the same ones that complain from time to time about the noise and some splashing and so forth in that same area on a cruise that has higher than usual kid counts?? So AVOID IT, go to the more spacious than usual aft pool and stretch out, swim, smoke cigs OR cigars (if you’re so inclined) and make that area your “Retreat.”

There is simply no reason to bash on each and every token thing just because you might not like it, then swear off the ship as a whole when no HAL crew will ever be holding a gun to your head forcing you in that area…

*deep breath*

Just my thought on the matter...

:cool:

I agree with Inthewaside on this one.

In my opinion, no one has yet to be on this ship and yet people are criticizing the aspect of something new. I would give it a chance to see how people respond to it ONCE someone has been onboard and reviewed.

Again, just my opinion.

Another Opinion: I remember years ago when passengers had to reserve deck chairs. There was a cost per chair and you had that chair and that location for the entire cruise. Therefore, if your chair was in the "bleachers" you also were "inconveneinced" Granted the subject is a little different than what we are discussing but there are some similarities. We are sailing on the Eurodam in August and I will provide a better analysis upon return!

Smooth Sailing!

Lou

In my opinion, no one has yet to be on this ship and yet people are criticizing the aspect of something new. I would give it a chance to see how people respond to it ONCE someone has been onboard and reviewed.

I "hear" ya, Nick.

Thankfully, quite a few of us will be aboard her next week and able to give a first-hand account and review (with which, of course, certain people will disagree). This being said, our current speculations are rooted in experience aboard Vista ships, which are very similar to the Eurodam and nearly identical in the Lido deck spaces. On the Vistas this area of the Lido deck is usually crowded and congested, with people always transiting through and looking for a place to sit and eat. There are not enough tables or chairs in this area aboard the Vistas as it is, hence removing 50% of the tables and chairs to make room for these cabanas doesn't appear as though it's going to help the congestion and traffic patterns around the pool. And, from the best of my ability to determine from the deck plans, they haven't created any more table/chair space anywhere, while they have increased the passenger compliment of the vessel.

In short, we're speculating based upon first-hand experience of how things operate aboard the Vistas and we're extrapolating that experience to the Eurodam in anticipation of what it will be like. Perhaps things will work out much better aboard the Eurodam -- I hope so. But, regardless, we'll know in just a week.

Brad--

As Greg stated, Midship Lido is a heavily used space: Folks are often at the tables in the shade along the windows having breakfast & lunch, reading books, playing cards, writing in their journals/laptops, enjoying a cocktail, etc.

Folks who use the space in this manner are being displaced by facilities for activities more suited to open deck space: Folks can lounge on the aft end of Lido Deck or up on the roof of Tamarind or Crow's Nest, but folks who wish to eat breakfast or lunch outside aren't going to carry their tray to a sunlounger up to the roof of Tamarind or Crow's Nest and folks aren't able to play cards or write while occupying a sunlounger on Lido Deck Aft.

If these "Cabana" facilities were located up on the roof of Tamarind or Crow's Nest, I'd be all for that - but this placement is simply a poor choice.

I wonder where they'll hold the Bar-B-Q, given that the Eurodam's configuration cuts in half an already very crowded deck space?

Maybe Bar-B-Q will be Bar-B-Gone?

Well, once you've tasted TEXAS BBQ then you don't partake of the ship's offering anyway! :cool:

I don't think it's just TEXAS BBQ Jim, almost any cuisine can be flame grilled properly, but it seems to me it takes a great deal of experience to get it 'just right' :cool:

The majority of the people I know here in the UK think Bbq'ing consists of throwing raw meat on a load of burning charcoal in half an empty oil barrel or an oversized wok......:mad:

I should also point out that I haven't been to Texas (yet), but I've had some amazing BBQ experiences in California when I used to travel there on business. Best 'outdoor' meal ever was made by a Hawaiian colleague who'd buried a pig in a hot pit in his garden for 24 hours! Amazing stuff!

The majority of the people I know here in the UK think Bbq'ing consists of throwing raw meat on a load of burning charcoal in half an empty oil barrel or an oversized wok......:mad:
A few years ago, some of my Yorkshire cousins came to visit. I asked if they would like to go for some barbecue. 'Oh, we barbecue a few times each summer.' I had to explain to them that over here, barbecue isn't a verb, but a noun. ;)

We'll see pretty soon now how the E'dam does with barbecue - IF there is one on the Lido....

I don't think it's just TEXAS BBQ Jim, almost any cuisine can be flame grilled properly, but it seems to me it takes a great deal of experience to get it 'just right' :cool:

I should also point out that I haven't been to Texas (yet), but I've had some amazing BBQ experiences in California when I used to travel there on business. Best 'outdoor' meal ever was made by a Hawaiian colleague who'd buried a pig in a hot pit in his garden for 24 hours! Amazing stuff!

As a Texan undergoing SEVERE BBQ withdrawel in Southern California, I wish I could say the same! I have to book all my flights to go through DFW so I can pick up some Cousins!:)

My opinion - HAL has gone bananas with the cabanas.:eek:

They will not work.

Time of course, will tell.

Actually, I think they will work... There are so many people who have to hide from the sun for one reason or another (I have a medical condition that has this result) and they will pay if they are able in order to be comfortable in an area they couldn't be before! Sitting at a table all day in the shade is not a lot of fun when all your friends and family are lounging in the same area, this will give those groups a "focal point" to return to and I can read my book in comfort.

Couple of Northern Lights pics

nlights3June20.jpg

nlightsJune20.jpg

The more pics I see the more excited I am. Cant wait to get on this beauty. Does anyone know how much they charge for say 10 mins internet access and also where the net access is. Do they have a computer center??

Does anyone know how much they charge for say 10 mins internet access and also where the net access is. Do they have a computer center??

Yes, there's a computer center. And unless I've gotten terribly confused, again, (hey, it happens :rolleyes: ), it's on the starboard side, next to the Crow's Nest.

Until the last couple of days of the cruise there's usually no short plans of 10-minutes, or so.

It's $3.95 to activate an account, then $0.75 per minute without a plan.

Yes, there's a computer center. And unless I've gotten terribly confused, again, (hey, it happens :rolleyes: ), it's on the starboard side, next to the Crow's Nest.

Until the last couple of days of the cruise there's usually no short plans of 10-minutes, or so.

On the Rotterdam this last Jan/Feb it was $0.40 per minutes with the $100 plan.

Actually, I think they will work... There are so many people who have to hide from the sun for one reason or another (I have a medical condition that has this result) and they will pay if they are able in order to be comfortable in an area they couldn't be before! Sitting at a table all day in the shade is not a lot of fun when all your friends and family are lounging in the same area, this will give those groups a "focal point" to return to and I can read my book in comfort.

Oh you could be right, and I know what you mean. I avoid the sun like the plague. It is my experience that people with this condition do not generally seek out these kinds of venues anyway.

It will be interesting to see how it works in practise.

On the Rotterdam this last Jan/Feb it was $0.40 per minutes with the $100 plan.

Oh, sure. I've had enough of those over the years! Those 250 minute plans last me 10 days (and that's when I get the bonus minutes!)

And there's a $0.55 per minute plan of $55 for 100 minutes, too.

But short plans are few and far between.

:eek::eek: Thats a crazy price. I thought Royal Caribbean were bad .:D

:eek::eek: Thats a crazy price. I thought Royal Caribbean were bad .:D

Indeed. It's why I bring a lap top, do all my reading and writing OFF LINE, then get on line to post and download the latest copy of the threads and my e-mails.

Archived