Auckland to Sydney ??

ap0805

We've never been to this part of the world so need as much information as possible. Anyway, question I have is the sea crossing over from Auckland to Sydney. I've read several threads that have mentioned the seas were and always have been rough but didn't get exactly where they were when all this happened. I've been on several cruises and have exp bad weather on one (LUCKY). And I know that no one can predict the weather but would like an over view of what experiences you've had.

Looking at 12 day cruise on Princess, any thoughts about Princess? Maybe Feb 2009.

Also I've been looking at air travel, Any ideas?

The other thing is we fly into Auckland and fly out of Sydney, good idea or bad?

Would you stay an extra day in Auckland? Or stay an extra day in Sydney? Trying to get the best bang for our buck!

Thanks to all who reply with your thoughts:)

We've never been to this part of the world so need as much information as possible. Anyway, question I have is the sea crossing over from Auckland to Sydney. I've read several threads that have mentioned the seas were and always have been rough but didn't get exactly where they were when all this happened. I've been on several cruises and have exp bad weather on one (LUCKY). And I know that no one can predict the weather but would like an over view of what experiences you've had.

Looking at 12 day cruise on Princess, any thoughts about Princess? Maybe Feb 2009.

The other thing is we fly into Auckland and fly out of Sydney, good idea or bad?

Would you stay an extra day in Auckland? Or stay an extra day in Sydney? Trying to get the best bang for our buck!

You would have made it so much easier if you stated where you are coming from. I gather, and it is just a guess, that you might be coming from North America somewhere. I'm from Sydney and a few years ago (2000) my wife and I flew to Hawaii and came back on P&O Aurora all the way to Sydney (21 days) stopping at every conceivable place on the way. Never saw a water ripple, then again, some of those ships are so big you hardly know you're in it unless you look out a window.

Tell me more so I can help your.

Sydney-aussie

I'm going way out on a limb here but I'm guessing your coming from the USA, right? Our suggestion would be a couple of extra days at each end of the cruise, certainly at the front end to get used to the time change. I'd fly Air New Zealand even if you had to leg back from Sydney to Auckland, just to take advantage of the 3" difference in leg room. Aside from that, since we have yet to do our cruise, I can't comment on the Tasmanian Sea, only repeat what I've heard.

We choose to leave from Sydney because of their pre cruise tours. We spend time in Sydney, Uluru and Great Barrier Reef. Quantas has window seats in back of plane that are two across instead of three but I understand that Air NZ has better pich to their seats. We cruise in Jan.

Wow - you are on the same wave length as us! I think we are following you around the world!!! We are doing Auckland to Sydney 2/14/08 and then Venice to Rome on 10/29/08 You will have to let me know about your favorite parts of each trip when you return and clue us in as to what is best!!

We choose to leave from Sydney because of their pre cruise tours. We spend time in Sydney, Uluru and Great Barrier Reef. Quantas has window seats in back of plane that are two across instead of three but I understand that Air NZ has better pich to their seats. We cruise in Jan.

Interesting about the back of the Quantas - that is where it was suggested that we select our seats! There are only two in the row by the window instead of 3. Mary

Whenever we fly, whether it is with Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Cathay etc. we always request those last rows at the back of the plane with the 2 seats. It varies on what type of aircraft are being used. If it is a 747 then there are 3 or 4 rows to choose from, if it is a 777 then it may only be one or two rows.

It is great not to have to worry about people other than your husband when wanting to get up and go to the toilet etc.

Of course when we fly Business, it is a different matter altogether, but that doesn't happen as often now as we would rather have more trips in Economy than only one a year in Business.

Jennie

First of all don't worry about the Tasman Sea. You cannot do anything about the weather, and it is just pure luck if the seas are calm and unfortunate if you strike the seas rough.

Secondly, I would definitely allow a few days at either end before and after the cruise. The flight over is much easier than the flight on the return as you will be able to sleep on the flight over, but on the return you are flying in daylight most of the time and flights from west to east are always harder with regards to your time clock.

Besides both cities have a lot to offer. I would work out which city you want to spend more time in. In my opinion Sydney has a lot more to offer than Auckland therefore if you can afford more time at the beginning of the cruise then fly directly to Sydney and have 3 or 4 days there, if you can afford more time at the end instead of at the beginning then fly directly to Auckland and finish your cruise in Sydney with the extra days.

February is a good time to visit both countries. The South Island of New Zealand shouldn't be too cold and of course everywhere else will be warm as it is our summer.

Enjoy.

Jennie

Hi

As Jennie has said, there's never any guarantees with seas. We sailed from Auckland to Sydney in the mid-seventies and were told by the crew that they were the worst seas any of them had encountered. My brother and I were teens at the time and thought it was fantastic! We were in the showroom (deserted) in the middle of the day when a piano broke loose and shattered all over the dance floor. Our family were amongst the minority sat in the dining room for those couple of nights. Friends that have sailed a couple of times on big Princess ships (Diamond size?) have had it like a mill pond both times

I also agree with Jennie that Sydney would be the better bang for your buck extra day/night. I like Auckland but would recommend more time in Sydney over it.

In regards to air travel are you asking for recommendations? Unless you're flying business or first they're all much of a muchness, that is, ordinary, with United, way less than ordinary. We've had good and bad Qantas trans-Pacifics. Good Air New Zealand. Flying to Auckland I'm not sure if one of the other alternatives is available - Air Tahiti Nui. Virgin is also about to start flying t-P but not sure when and Jetstar (a low-cost/service Qantas offshoot) is also planning to go all the way to the US west coast in the not too distant future.

No matter who you fly with or cruise with or where you stay the extra day you'll have a fantastic time:)

Wow - you are on the same wave length as us! I think we are following you around the world!!! We are doing Auckland to Sydney 2/14/08 and then Venice to Rome on 10/29/08 You will have to let me know about your favorite parts of each trip when you return and clue us in as to what is best!!

Hi Marty and Mary,

We will leave the ships in good shape for you. Our OZ cruise is with 2 other couples and for the Med cruise, we are 16. I'm busy setting up tours for us, thanks to all the info on CC. Don't forget to wave to us in Auckland and Venice.

Would you stay an extra day in Auckland? Or stay an extra day in Sydney?
If it's got to be one or the other, I would recommend an extra day in Sydney rather than Auckland. (Sorry, Kiwis!) But frankly, I would actually recommend an extra month in Sydney rather than an extra day.

Whenever we fly, whether it is with Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Cathay etc. we always request those last rows at the back of the plane with the 2 seats. It varies on what type of aircraft are being used. If it is a 747 then there are 3 or 4 rows to choose from, if it is a 777 then it may only be one or two rows.
On Air New Zealand's 777s, it looks like it is only one row (ie there are only two pairs of seats). The seat advice websites note that there may be limited recline in this row as it's the last row - but I'm not sure that these suggestions have ever been confirmed on any aircraft as far as the major full-service airlines are concerned.

The disadvantage of doing this is that it is very much noisier at the back of the aircraft. In addition, there is much more movement here because you are a lot further from the aircraft's centre of gravity, around which the aircraft will tend to rotate if it is moving around. Personally, I prefer to sit where Qantas tries to put its frequent flyers: at the very front of the economy cabin, over the wing - it's quieter and there's less movement, which make for a more restful flight despite the fact that the window-side rows are of three. Of course, if you aren't dead set on having a window, a couple is usually more comfortable in an aisle-middle pair in the centre block.

In regards to air travel are you asking for recommendations? Unless you're flying business or first they're all much of a muchness, that is, ordinary, with United, way less than ordinary. We've had good and bad Qantas trans-Pacifics. Good Air New Zealand. Flying to Auckland I'm not sure if one of the other alternatives is available - Air Tahiti Nui. Virgin is also about to start flying t-P but not sure when and Jetstar (a low-cost/service Qantas offshoot) is also planning to go all the way to the US west coast in the not too distant future.
One consideration is whether you want to to shorten your journey by flying non-stop across the Pacific from/to the US. If you do, then only Qantas operate both non-stops from the US to Auckland and non-stops from Sydney to the US. I think that the only other airline that flies non-stop from Sydney to the US is United. < shudder >

Another thing you might want to think about is that out of these three, only Air New Zealand currently has premium economy. It's a good way to fly for a pretty modest increase in price.

On Air New Zealand's 777s, it looks like it is only one row (ie there are only two pairs of seats). The seat advice websites note that there may be limited recline in this row as it's the last row - but I'm not sure that these suggestions have ever been confirmed on any aircraft as far as the major full-service airlines are concerned.

The disadvantage of doing this is that it is very much noisier at the back of the aircraft. In addition, there is much more movement here because you are a lot further from the aircraft's centre of gravity, around which the aircraft will tend to rotate if it is moving around. Personally, I prefer to sit where Qantas tries to put its frequent flyers: at the very front of the economy cabin, over the wing - it's quieter and there's less movement, which make for a more restful flight despite the fact that the window-side rows are of three. Of course, if you aren't dead set on having a window, a couple is usually more comfortable in an aisle-middle pair in the centre block.quote]

We don't mind having the the noise or the extra movement as I am claustrophobic and need a window seat. Putting up with a few disadvantages far out weighs having to spend time being in a row of 3. I would hate to spend 13 hours in the middle section of seats without being able to see out. I love looking out at the stars, lightening etc. plus seeing all the cities lit up in the middle of the night when we cross India on our way to Europe.

Jennie

We don't mind having the the noise or the extra movement as I am claustrophobic and need a window seat. Putting up with a few disadvantages far out weighs having to spend time being in a row of 3.
I can well understand that. I just wanted to make sure that the pros and cons were all out there, as different people will want different things out of where they sit.

Personally, my priority when flying is sleep, which is my personal reason for always wanting a window seat: nobody wakes you up to climb out over you in the middle of the night. So for me, the extra movement and noise would be very annoying, if sitting in those rows at the back. But I know that those seats are perfect for others.

Three weeks back from Europe.

We flew over Qantas and had the first of the 2 seater rows. Lots of room to stow things between the seat and the window but of course you cannot put a pillow against the window to sleep. Paula had the window seat but it might have been better if I had it as you can twist around and have a lot more legroom. (Paula 5 foot nothing, me 6 foot plus). Good thing was the armrest in the middle folded up so we averaged out our space and both had enough room. Yes there is more movement when it is turbulent, it does take longer to get of at the transit stop and the end but a good set of seats to get. You must get in early however to get it allocated. Flight July 5th and I was able to get the allocation back in September for the flight over but it was already booked for the flight home.

On the way home we got the bulkhead seats. Yes a bit more legroom but still not enough for someone of my height. Sometimes I stuck my feet through the side of the curtain when the cabin had settled down but it appears business class is very sensitive about encroachments into their toilet area and every time I got confortable and almost asleep somebody would walk the extra pace when going to the toilet just to kick my economy class feet. Positive - we were off the plane quickly at Hong Kong and Melbourne. Neagtive - no lifting armrest so a squeeze for me, 3 seats and window seat taken by the single (smelly bare feet and all), the knob to release the TV monitor is badly placed and it has taken 3 weeks for the deep bruising to clear up on my thigh.

But as we were on the way home a seat out on the wing would have been just as good.

My recomendation would be to book as early as possible ( Qantas now allow early booking without having to pay the full amount) and try to get the double seats at the back.

David

We did Princess 12 day from Sydney to Auckland earlier this year...did cruisetour in Australia before cruise and spent a couple of extra days in Auckland post cruise. Had a wonderful cruise. We had very smooth crossing of Tasman (the choppiest seas were between Melbourne and Hobart Tasmania) From what I've read, although the Tasman is unpredictable, it seems that folks going from New Zealand to Australia have more rough seas than from Australia to New Zealand. We made our own air arrangements with United...the flight back from Auckland to the U.S. was operated by Air New Zealand...an excellent flight.

Putting up with a few disadvantages far out weighs having to spend time being in a row of 3.
We're booked the aisle and window seats of a three seat row for our flights on Air New Zealand. Our hope is that the plane will not fill up and no one, in their right mind, would choose the middle seat. Downside is that it will be taken but we thought we could negotiate with whoever has it to either move to the window or aisle. It's a gamble, but we thought we'd give it a try.

Hi Bobbi...to tell the truth, the whole flight back was somewhat hazy...I had come down with the flu a couple of days before our return and by the time we left Auckland, was feeling rotten. However, the flight was full...not a seat to spare, so it was a bit uncomfortable, particularly for my husband who is tall and was scrunched into the middle seat of the 3 across. But I do remember the food as being a bit better than the usual fare, in flight movies plentiful, cabin attendants pleasant, and the trip quite smooth. Auckland was wonderful. We stayed at Crowne Plaza...easy walk to everything in the city. Had an incredible dinner at the top of the Sky Tower...really a must-do. Took a one day trip to Waitomo Glow Worm Caves...had wonderful driver/guide...stopped for lunch at Roselands (excellent restaurant in a beautiful setting) and stopped in the afternoon at Hamilton to walk around the Botanic Gardens. Our last day, we took ferry to Devonport and hiked around and had lunch (Even though by that time, I was feeling poorly, I didn't want to miss out on anything!) before leaving for an early evening flight home. We had a couple of days in Sydney before the cruisetour and had a wonderful time there too....a very walkable city with great restaurants, a lovely harbor....We definitely would have stayed there longer if we had the time.

Downside is that it will be taken but we thought we could negotiate with whoever has it to either move to the window or aisle. It's a gamble, but we thought we'd give it a try.
I have never, ever known someone refuse to give up their middle seat for an aisle or a window - especially if you offer them the choice of which they'd prefer out of those two.

I have never, ever known someone refuse to give up their middle seat for an aisle or a window - especially if you offer them the choice of which they'd prefer out of those two.

And my hope here is that is an offer I won't have to make.

We're booked the aisle and window seats of a three seat row for our flights on Air New Zealand. Our hope is that the plane will not fill up and no one, in their right mind, would choose the middle seat. Downside is that it will be taken but we thought we could negotiate with whoever has it to either move to the window or aisle. It's a gamble, but we thought we'd give it a try.

It sure is a gamble and it backfired for us a few years ago. Our T.A. said that she would book a window and an aisle as the airline doesn't normally put a passenger between a husband and wife. Well, they did and we had to ask the passenger to move to the aisle. Luckily it was only on a 7 hour flight to Singapore and we didn't need to get up and use the toilet.

Since then, we have always requested the back couple of rows with the two seats and managed to get them. We use Singapore airlines mostly and as I am a Kris Flyer member, I am able to ring months in advance and request those seats.

Down here, we normally do not get a choice of seats unless we book directly with the airline and we are F.F. members. The airline distributes the seats 24 hours beforehand, so it is luck if you manage to get no-one between you. Also most of our planes are full when flying out of and into Australia. The flights between U.S. and Aust/N.Z. are very profitable for the airlines, there are very few airlines flying that route.

Jennie

AP0805-if you haven't already booked for '08, you might have a hard time finding a cabin. We booked the Mercury for Jan. 20- Feb. 5th Sidney -Aukland last Jan. while on a Mexican Riviera cruise. It was almost booked up then. One couple who was originally booked for our cruise recently had to cancel due to the husband's vacation time change, but were able to book for March on the Sapphire Princess.

We would have liked to do the 5-day land tour to Ayers Rock (Uluru), Cairns and Port Douglas, but it was almost as much $$$ as the cruise. :eek:

So we've settled on one extra day in Sydney and 2 extra days in Aukland.

Since we board the ship the day before it sails, we will have the better part of 3 days in Sydney. We arrive in Aukland early morning on the 2/3 and leave the evening of the 5th so we will have the better part of 3 days in Auk.

I think you need some extra days, especially if this is the only time you will be there, like us.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 nights in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

AP0805-if you haven't already booked for '08, you might have a hard time finding a cabin. We booked the Mercury for Jan. 20- Feb. 5th Sidney -Aukland last Jan. while on a Mexican Riviera cruise. It was almost booked up then. One couple who was originally booked for our cruise recently had to cancel due to the husband's vacation time change, but were able to book for March on the Sapphire Princess.

We would have liked to do the 5-day land tour to Ayers Rock (Uluru), Cairns and Port Douglas, but it was almost as much $$$ as the cruise. :eek:

So we've settled on one extra day in Sydney and 2 extra days in Aukland.

Since we board the ship the day before it sails, we will have the better part of 3 days in Sydney. We arrive in Aukland early morning on the 2/3 and leave the evening of the 5th so we will have the better part of 3 days in Auk.

I think you need some extra days, especially if this is the only time you will be there, like us.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 nights in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

Kathie..we also leave on the 5th to come home..I tried to get our seats thru Qantas--well we have them but--they told me they might be taken away--not sure why..but I guess you can't fight it...I can't call them til Nov again--after I get hold of Northwest on our flights to LAX..not my first thought to leave from--sorta runs neck and neck with Chicago..but will fly non-stop from Minneapolis to LAX..although I might call Qantas again--as when I called they had just opened up the seats--48A&B going & 35A&B coming back--what we do usually--is the 3rd person in the seats--if a man--then Tom will sit next to him..if a woman then I get the center..although I prefer aisle as I can work my legs a bit..may ask if we can move seats too..will wait & see later...I just dread the 13½-14 hour flight over.

Archived