What to do in one day in NYC??

waiting2retire

name game....c'mon! you never had creamcheese and jelly on your bagel? lox (smoked salmon) and creamcheese...naturally.

tiffany and co....6th floor is the silver jewelry (the only things i can afford for my wife).

ummm...i'm starving just talking about food.

Don't skip Miami, it is a fabulous town! Just stay in the right places!

The buses are everywhere and you will not have to wait more than five minutes for a bus.

You can hop on at your stop by your hotel but the tour re-starts in Times Square and I do think they make you hop off then hop back on. Don't lose your receipt!

You'll be happy you decided on the All Loop!

Buses everywhere but do they accomodate the handicap? My DH is in an electric wheelchair do the buses have lifts? If not we can use the collasible chair, but it would be a lot easier on me if the buses had lifts. Thanks for all the help and advise on NYC.

Karen

as a former ny'er i tend to like the carnegie better. stage is really commercial...thats why they have outlets in vegas. it is so much more old ny to me, it may not be quite as nice and shiny but you really get more of the ny experience....

re: 2nd ave deli reopening on 3rd....are they ever the same that way. Makes me think of the rascal house in miami beach (actually sunny isles) it isnt the same now not even close.....

Carnegie definitely

We will have only one day pre-cruise in NYC prior to our November 10 sailing :( . Couldn't afford any more time or money... maybe next time.

This will be our first time in NYC (two female friends, early 50s) and, of course, we want to see as much as we can. Our flight gets into La Guardia at 8:00 a.m. The plan is to catch a cab and go straight to our hotel on Central Park South, drop our bags off there until check-in time, and go from there, hopefully by about 9:30?

I am thinking our best bet might be to do the Grey Line downtown loop of the hop-on hop-off bus, which is on sale right now for $34.00. I also looked at the all-loops tour, but I honestly don't think we will have time to do the other two. I really think we can spend a good 6 to 8 hours doing the downtown loop, considering all the places we will want to stop and walk around, does that sound about right? Once we complete the downtown loop, we will go check into the hotel.

I am a little nervous about being out after dark (as I am in any city). Do you think it would be safe to walk from our hotel (about Central Park S and 7th) to Times Square after dark? How long would it take?

One thing we both want to do is have a smoked meat sandwich (and a little cheesecake :o ) in a real NY deli. From what I have read, we will likely look at either the Stage or Carnegie delis (closer to the hotel than Katz's). Personal preferences??

Would it be worthwhile to get up early the next morning and take the uptown loop? If we don't get off the bus, I think it says it can be done in about 2 hours, so we could conceivably do it from about 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., go back to the hotel and check out, and get a cab to the dock.

Thoughts and suggestions on the above are very, very welcome!

Bonnie

Hop On/ Hop Off is a good plan for the day.

For dinner, I would suggest Trattoria Del'Arte. You can walk to it from your hotel. http://www.trattoriadellarte.com/

If you don't want a full meal, sit at the bar and order their famous anti-pasto and/or a pizza. Both are outstanding.

Other favorites of mine, within walking distance of your hotel is Brasserie 8 1/2 http://www.rapatina.com/brasserie8/

or Rue 57. http://www.rue57.com

Kansas Lady we did the New York party shuttle tour in March, we loved it. We did the 8:30 am tour and found that it went by very quickly. We really liked the smaller group and found the guide very knowledgeable and liked the fact that he got off with us and explained everything. We opted to get off at the Empire State Building so we could go up it. We also did the Top of the Rock, it was less crowded than the Empire State Building. Have fun:)

We have a group of us who are sailing on Explorer in April 2008 and I am booking this New York Party Shuttle tour for a group of 35. We will have a mini bus to ourselves. My sister did this tour and recommended it.

thanks for all the other recommendations and suggestions for things to do, see and eat:D

We have a group of us who are sailing on Explorer in April 2008 and I am booking this New York Party Shuttle tour for a group of 35. We will have a mini bus to ourselves. My sister did this tour and recommended it.

thanks for all the other recommendations and suggestions for things to do, see and eat:D

Fancy meeting you here, Emmy. ;)

I'll be with Emmy on the Party Shuttle tour and I also appreciate all the ideas on this thread. It will be the first time in NYC for DH and myself, and the research can be overwhelming. Also, we're I'm trying to determine what the "ideal" # of days would be for a pre-cruise stay. We'll do the Party Shuttle the day before embarkation and I'm thinking two more full days would be good. We'll be staying somewhere on the Jersey side.

Also, we're I'm trying to determine what the "ideal" # of days would be for a pre-cruise stay.

Ideally, about 5 days would be perfect. You'd get to cover all the "Must See's" on most check-off lists and after that's out of the way, you can walk around and explore tie city, one neighborhood at a time. Only after you have walked and walked and walked will you feel like you've experienced adn seen the best city in the world.

Anything less than that is a tease. :)

Can you buy tickets for the double decker bus tour at any on/off stop or do you have to go to the main location? I've tried calling with no luck and that information does not seem to be on their website. Nutter question ... do you have recommendations for a lunch in Chinatown?

I can't imagine a safer walk than the one you're describing unless it's 4 AM, you're all drunk, and waving wallets filled with money shouting "Come and get us!"

LoL, I've all but done that and still have yet to have any problems. I probably risk it a little more than I should, but I'm a 22 y/o female who has taken the subway home to Bushwick, Brooklyn at 3am on many occassions with more than a few drinks in me and have always arrived home perfectly fine!

Archived