What to do in one day in NYC??

waiting2retire

We will have only one day pre-cruise in NYC prior to our November 10 sailing :( . Couldn't afford any more time or money... maybe next time.

This will be our first time in NYC (two female friends, early 50s) and, of course, we want to see as much as we can. Our flight gets into La Guardia at 8:00 a.m. The plan is to catch a cab and go straight to our hotel on Central Park South, drop our bags off there until check-in time, and go from there, hopefully by about 9:30?

I am thinking our best bet might be to do the Grey Line downtown loop of the hop-on hop-off bus, which is on sale right now for $34.00. I also looked at the all-loops tour, but I honestly don't think we will have time to do the other two. I really think we can spend a good 6 to 8 hours doing the downtown loop, considering all the places we will want to stop and walk around, does that sound about right? Once we complete the downtown loop, we will go check into the hotel.

I am a little nervous about being out after dark (as I am in any city). Do you think it would be safe to walk from our hotel (about Central Park S and 7th) to Times Square after dark? How long would it take?

One thing we both want to do is have a smoked meat sandwich (and a little cheesecake :o ) in a real NY deli. From what I have read, we will likely look at either the Stage or Carnegie delis (closer to the hotel than Katz's). Personal preferences??

Would it be worthwhile to get up early the next morning and take the uptown loop? If we don't get off the bus, I think it says it can be done in about 2 hours, so we could conceivably do it from about 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., go back to the hotel and check out, and get a cab to the dock.

Thoughts and suggestions on the above are very, very welcome!

Bonnie

I am thinking our best bet might be to do the Grey Line downtown loop of the hop-on hop-off bus, which is on sale right now for $34.00. I also looked at the all-loops tour, but I honestly don't think we will have time to do the other two. I really think we can spend a good 6 to 8 hours doing the downtown loop, considering all the places we will want to stop and walk around, does that sound about right? Once we complete the downtown loop, we will go check into the hotel.

I am a little nervous about being out after dark (as I am in any city). Do you think it would be safe to walk from our hotel (about Central Park S and 7th) to Times Square after dark? How long would it take?

One thing we both want to do is have a smoked meat sandwich (and a little cheesecake :o ) in a real NY deli. From what I have read, we will likely look at either the Stage or Carnegie delis (closer to the hotel than Katz's). Personal preferences??

Would it be worthwhile to get up early the next morning and take the uptown loop? If we don't get off the bus, I think it says it can be done in about 2 hours, so we could conceivably do it from about 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., go back to the hotel and check out, and get a cab to the dock.

Thoughts and suggestions on the above are very, very welcome!

Bonnie

Do not miss the Downtown Loop. Also, try not to miss the Night Tour. It's required that you see Times Square both day and night. Uptown loop... you can do that next time you're in NYC. Brooklyn loop is probably worth a 2nd visit to NYC, but do that next time as well, just be sure you do come back :)

I suggest for comfort and ease that you take a cab. Oh, I forgot, also take a Subway! NYC is a great visit. There is too much to do in one day so don't even try it. Prioritize. Empire State Bldg, Times Square, World Trade Center, Rockefeller Center, and you'll already be overwhelmed.

IMHO NYC is best in several short trips, such as pre- and post- cruise rather than a longer extended vacation. You will enjoy yourselves.

Do you think it would be safe to walk from our hotel (about Central Park S and 7th) to Times Square after dark?

Probably safer than wherever you're from. I've lived here since 1973, when NYC really was scary; it isn't, these days. I can't imagine a safer walk than the one you're describing unless it's 4 AM, you're all drunk, and waving wallets filled with money shouting "Come and get us!"

Probably safer than wherever you're from. I've lived here since 1973, when NYC really was scary; it isn't, these days. I can't imagine a safer walk than the one you're describing unless it's 4 AM, you're all drunk, and waving wallets filled with money shouting "Come and get us!"

LOL - thanks for the chuckle :D

Do not miss the Downtown Loop. Also, try not to miss the Night Tour. It's required that you see Times Square both day and night. Uptown loop... you can do that next time you're in NYC. Brooklyn loop is probably worth a 2nd visit to NYC, but do that next time as well, just be sure you do come back :)

I suggest for comfort and ease that you take a cab. Oh, I forgot, also take a Subway! NYC is a great visit. There is too much to do in one day so don't even try it. Prioritize. Empire State Bldg, Times Square, World Trade Center, Rockefeller Center, and you'll already be overwhelmed.

IMHO NYC is best in several short trips, such as pre- and post- cruise rather than a longer extended vacation. You will enjoy yourselves.

Thanks for the reply Solo1959. I definitely want to see Times Square at night, but I thought we would just walk there, as long as it wouldn't take more than about 1/2 hour. The Night Tour doesn't show a map of where it goes, but it is 2+ hours, and I'm not sure I really want to spend all that time on a bus when we will have likely seen most of the same sights during the day. We have a subway system here in Toronto, and after riding it day after day to get to work, it's not high on my list of things to do!

We're looking forward to our day in NYC just as much as the cruise itself, and I know I will want to go back and see a lot more another time!

Bonnie

Hmmm, not so sure about that...we're from Canada, eh :D .

From your vivid description... LOL ... we will be quite safe. We will be tucked into bed well before 4 AM, I don't drink anymore :( and I don't have nearly enough money to fill my wallet :p .

Thanks for the reassurance, and the giggle!!

Bonnie

Definitely do the downtown loop. I hope you are planning on getting off the bus and walking around downtown. Walking to Times Square from where you are staying is absolutely safe and probably the easiest way for you to get there. If you can, try to see a show in the evening. Go to the TKTS line and see what shows you can get that are discounted.

As for the delis, I never seem to go to those places but I've heard good things about both The Stage Deli and Carnegie. If you are doing the downtown loop bus and you get off to walk around the lower East Side, then you can hop into Katz.

As for the next morning, two hours would be enough but not if you want to get off the bus and explore. My suggestion would be to have a nice breakfast and explore Central Park for a couple of hours.

Go ahead and purchase the All Loop Tour. As someone who has worked in Manhattan, lived there part part time, and visited there (my parents part time right outside Manhattan), the All Loop Tour is the quickest and most fun ways to see everything you can possibly see.

You can have both tours finished by early afternoon and I promise you will enjoy the nighttime tour with its great views of Times Square and view of Manhattan Island from Brooklyn.

Dump your bags at your hotel and run over to Times Square to hop on the bus.

Hmmm, not so sure about that...we're from Canada, eh. :D

Ah, "Our Lady of the Snows." Yes, you're probably right. I love Canada, although once I was nearly killed in the Metro when I didn't hear an approaching train running on its rubber tires---trust me, you will not have this problem in NYC. I lived in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue outside Montreal in 1970 when my first wife was dancing with Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, and I was charmed by your rather more civilized attitude toward firearms in urban areas ("Don't need them/Don't want them") and universal medical care (Good idea, eh?"). In 1987 I was in grad school in Detroit, and went to Windsor frequently for Chinese food and to get away from the sound of the frequent gunfire, screams, and sirens. Well, pilgrim, welcome to Dodge City...although, as I say, it's a lot calmer here than it used to be, and we actually have a much, much lower crime rate than places like Miami, which tourists think is some sort of Disney-like paradise because it has palm trees. It also has more guns than were used in the Normandy invasion and bugs the size of small mammals, but I digress...

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have purchased the All-Loops Tour since it was only $10 more than one tour. That way, we can decide what we have the inclination and energy for at the time :D .

Can anyone tell me how often the buses run? If we "hop off", how long would it be before the next bus comes along to "hop on"? And I am assuming that since there is a stop about a block and a half from our hotel, we will be able to "hop on" there rather than at the official starting point?

Guns??? I hadn't given that much thought. I don't think I have ever heard an actual gun shot, except on TV. And trust me, Miami is already on my list of "Don't ever go there" places not to see.

Bonnie

You will be fine walking to your hotel at night. NYC never sleeps.

That's for sure. There were as many people on the streets of Times Square at midnight as there was at noon. We rode the hop on/hop off bus and got off at K-Mart and Lindy's (famous for cheesecake) was right across the street. We miscalculated how far we had ridden, started walking back. After 11 blocks I hailed a pedi-cab as my feet just couldn't take another step. We were at the Edison Hotel right in Times Square and walked everywhere around it, never feeling unsafe or didn't even give it a thought.

We saw and did everything on our list in a day and half except Grand Central Station. We had already passed it before we knew where we were. But we Saw Chinatown, Little Italy, got off the bus at Battery Park and rode out to Ellis Island and Liberty Island, back to the bus, Empire State Building, Chrysler Bldg., Rockefeller Center, St. Pauls Cathedral, Tiffany's, SAK's, horse drawn carriage in Central Park, Tavern on the Green (in Central Park), Strawberry Fields (in Central Park), Radio City Music Hall, John F. Kennedy's apartment, apartment where John Lennon was assassinated and Yoko Ono still has the top floor, and so much more. The loop hop on/hop off bus is great. They actually have a guide that describes what you are passing. And it was raining, and they gave us a poncho to wear up top, so I brought it home as a souvenir.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have purchased the All-Loops Tour since it was only $10 more than one tour. That way, we can decide what we have the inclination and energy for at the time :D .

Can anyone tell me how often the buses run? If we "hop off", how long would it be before the next bus comes along to "hop on"? And I am assuming that since there is a stop about a block and a half from our hotel, we will be able to "hop on" there rather than at the official starting point?

Guns??? I hadn't given that much thought. I don't think I have ever heard an actual gun shot, except on TV. And trust me, Miami is already on my list of "Don't ever go there" places not to see.

Bonnie

Don't skip Miami, it is a fabulous town! Just stay in the right places!

The buses are everywhere and you will not have to wait more than five minutes for a bus.

You can hop on at your stop by your hotel but the tour re-starts in Times Square and I do think they make you hop off then hop back on. Don't lose your receipt!

You'll be happy you decided on the All Loop!

Wow, you must have been very, very busy agabbymama! No wonder you needed a pedi-cab at the end of the day...

Glad to hear that the buses run so frequently; that means we can hop off, see what we want to see, and not have to worry about being back to catch the bus at a certain time, or having to wait forever for the next bus if we only wanted to spend 10 minutes in a particular location.

The other question I have is what deli to eat at??? I'm leaning towards either the Stage or Carnegie, since they are both between our hotel and Times Square (convenient), and Katz's seems to be several blocks' walk from the hop-on hop-off bus stop. I have read some pretty negative reviews on Lindy's, and Junior's seems to be more famous for their hamburgers than their deli sandwiches.

What is your favourite? or what have you heard really good things about??

Bonnie

Just to vent, sometimes my posts come up more than once, sometimes they disappear altogether, sigh. To do it again, here are diners reviews and menus of the delis you inquired about.

Stage Deli

http://menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=3634&neighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=0

Carnegie Deli

http://menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=3509&neighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=0

Katz's Deli

http://menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=2451&neighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=0

My favorite is Sarge's Deli!

Good news, Second Avenue Deli is going to reopen this fall on Third Avenue! That's right! Second Avenue Deli on Third Avenue!

Really? Did not know about Second Avenue Deli reopening. It was devastating to me when it closed since I live not far from where they were located. Do you know where on Third? I am going to google them. Thanks for the good news. :D:D:D:D:D

so you are staying in a hotel around Central Park South....well then that only makes me want to tell you to visit Tiffany and Co. (then you'll really feel poor).

don't waste all your time on the loop tour. i mean, take the downtown one for sure. times sq during the day....yeah it's nice...but it's all about the lights. (not to mention you'd be hitting the same place twice...i say pick daylight or nighttime).

i like namegame's suggestion for spending your morning before you sail with a nice breakfast...something really classic NY. a bagel with cream cheese and grape jelly is a favorite of mine. but don't stuff yourselves...because you'll be eating soon enough on the ship.

Great links Name Game, thanks very much! Good thought about delivery, but part of it to us is the "experience" of the place, which is why I am leaning towards the Stage Deli at this point.

If the Second Avenue Deli was a favourite, maybe it will reopen on Third Avenue before we get there in November. I'll keep my eye out for it!

Zone, I definitely need to pop into Tiffany's for a little make-believe!! Anywhere near the hotel (Central Park S. & 7th) you would suggest to pick up a NY bagel & cream cheese for breakfast? (not too sure about the grape jelly :eek: )

Bonnie

Last year we went down to NYC about 4x's on Amtrak. We live upstate about 3 hours away. The 1st time we went we didn't do the tour bus we walked and did the taxi thing. It was alot of fun and we saw alot of things we would have missed. We decided to do the Night Tour with the blue bus tour company(not sure of the name). There are 2 bus companies that do tours one is Grey Line the other is the blue bus. The blue bus tour at night stops in Brooklyn at the ice cream place where you have a nice city view at night of Manhatten, the ice cream was also very good. We had a very good time. The next time we went we did the downtown hop on/off. Well worth the money. Another time we took the kids and in-laws down and did the complete tour uptown/downtown/night time etc. We had a bad experience. The buses were way overcrowded. We stood at one pick up point for almost an hour with buses just passing by us. We kept calling the main number but got nowhere with them. Finally a bus stopped picked up some people and said the last bus is coming next. When the bus got there they said they had no room. After alot of complaining and arguing they let us on. No one wanted to hear from us when we got off and tried to complain. When we went to take the uptown tour the person loading the bus was very rude and nasty to the point where I said something to him because of the language he was using in front of not only us but several small children that were around us. This was the blue bus company. I recommend using the Grey Line Tour, it has alot more buses and seemed lot more organized and professional.

If you visit the WTC make sure you go to St Paul's Chapel near the site it is well worth the experience. I highly recommend it if you have any interest in 9/11. As far as NYC being safe, if you stay with people and not walking down dark alley's in the middle of the night you are fine. NYC is alot of fun. Walking around you get to see alot and the tours give you alot of history of the city that you didn't know. We tried getting back down this summer but with our planned wedding and a new camper we haven't had the extra money. If you get the chance eat in Little Italy the food is out of this world!!!!

I'm also not sure about the grape jelly with the cream cheese on a bagel. :eek: If you are in New York then lox with your cream cheese on an everything bagel is a must. Just make sure you have plenty of mints and lots of water throughout the day. :p

We will also be in NY only a short time pre-cruise. Get in 11:00 on a Friday morning and board ship around noon next day. Staying at St. James Hotel near Times Square (109 W. 45th St.). Thought about New York Party Shuttle Tours. Good reviews online. Does anyone know anything about them? They have a 5 hour tour that starts around 3:00 or 3:30 that would allow us to see LOTS of NY sights. Would probably do Top of the rock the next morning. This will be our first-time in NY as well and would welcome comments. The tour boards at 7th Ave & 50th Street. How long will it take to walk from our hotel?

Wow!!! How do you decide what NOT to do in one day in NYC?;) Rockerfeller Center, Times Square, Empire State Building, Ground Zero, Central Park and a little light duty shopping are a must. (Check out the ferris wheel inside the Toys R Us store in Times Square!!) The last time we were there (last Christmas), I piggy-backed on one of my DH's business trips and had a whole day and night by myself in the city while he was in meetings. I walked all around Manhattan during the day and night and NEVER felt uncomfortable! There were police officers everywhere and the people were very polite and friendly. Just use common sense, don't act like an idiot and have a GREAT time!!

We ate at the Stage Deli on that trip and it was quite tasty:rolleyes: !!! Very expensive for a sandwich, pickle and soda, but everything in NYC is expensive and the atmosphere was worth it.

Kansas Lady we did the New York party shuttle tour in March, we loved it. We did the 8:30 am tour and found that it went by very quickly. We really liked the smaller group and found the guide very knowledgeable and liked the fact that he got off with us and explained everything. We opted to get off at the Empire State Building so we could go up it. We also did the Top of the Rock, it was less crowded than the Empire State Building. Have fun:)

Archived