New Swizzle Inn - from Horseshoe Bay?

LadyBerard

I'll be in Bermuda for a day in September. We're sailing on the Crown Princess. Been to Bermuda many times, but have only been to the original Swizzle Inn. We plan on going to Horseshoe Bay for a few hours, then figured we'd go have a pitcher (or 2 or 3) at Swizzle Inn, and perhaps some chicken fingers to snack on for a bit afterwards. How far is the new Swizzle Inn from Horseshoe Bay? We'll probably take a taxi there from the beach and then bus it back to the pier for the ship, but before boarding, we'll make sure to stop and say hi to Suzy, the bartender at the bar at the Snorkel Park Beach (and perhaps, get another rum swizzle!) :)

Sue

I'll be in Bermuda for a day in September. We're sailing on the Crown Princess. Been to Bermuda many times, but have only been to the original Swizzle Inn. We plan on going to Horseshoe Bay for a few hours, then figured we'd go have a pitcher (or 2 or 3) at Swizzle Inn, and perhaps some chicken fingers to snack on for a bit afterwards. How far is the new Swizzle Inn from Horseshoe Bay? We'll probably take a taxi there from the beach and then bus it back to the pier for the ship, but before boarding, we'll make sure to stop and say hi to Suzy, the bartender at the bar at the Snorkel Park Beach (and perhaps, get another rum swizzle!) :)

Sue

If you take a look at my cruise map of Horseshoe Bay Beach, zoom "out" three clicks, you will see the marker for the new Swizzle Inn in the upper right corner of the map. Looks like it is about 2 miles straight distance, probably slightly farther by road.

Theron

I was considering the bus/ferry day pass and also was interested in Horseshoe Bay and Swizzles Inn.

Is there a lot of lost time in wait time in taking buses verses cabs?

Thanks

Also anyone want to suggest some other logical stops along the way if we dock in the West end and want to go to Horseshoe Bay? Maybe going back to the ship for lunch.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I was considering the bus/ferry day pass and also was interested in Horseshoe Bay and Swizzles Inn.

Is there a lot of lost time in wait time in taking buses verses cabs?

Thanks

Also anyone want to suggest some other logical stops along the way if we dock in the West end and want to go to Horseshoe Bay? Maybe going back to the ship for lunch.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The most logical stop would be Gibbs lighthouse. It has a great view of Bermuda from the top and it also has a teahouse, shop at the bottom. On the way to Horseshoe, you could stop in Somerset, a small but very pretty village. Fort Scaur is also located near here as well. If you get the transportation pass, you have unlimited use of the ferries and buses. You can get on and off as much as you want, which is good for multiple destinations. Don't miss the rum cake factory (with free samples) and the glass blowing shop located in the Mall at the dockyard. I also enjoyed the British Maritime museum at the dockyard. An added bonus is that the Dolphin Quest is located inside. You can sit on the benches and just watch for free, the dolphins swim quite near the benches as well. Parasailing is also available at the dockyard. Hope these ideas give you more options.:)

Is the lighthouse open again? Two years ago the top walkway was closed for repairs, and last year the whole thing was closed for the same reason...

Best, David

Hi David. I thought about the repair situation when I wrote about the lighthouse. I should have added the caveat about whether or not it was open again. The teahouse has remained open during the repairs, so you can visit that part. As you mentioned, it has been two years worth of repairs. We didn't visit the lighthouse the last two trips for that reason. We are hoping that it is ready this year as my wife has never gotten the pleasure of seeing the amazing view from the top walkway. I am just hoping that it is ready. I will have to do more research to let you know a definitive answer.:)

Edward

Archived