Titanic exhibit in Victoria

We will be in Victoria for 1 day in September. We are thinking about visiting the Titanic exhibit at the BC museum for a few hours. My DH is wondering if it would be worth seeing. As we live just north of Halifax, and there is quite an exhibit there, and have seen several others in our travels, he thinks we would have seen 'it all before'.

Has anybody seen both exhibits? Can the two compare? Is it worth the $25 each for the couple of hours we will be there?

I have seen neither and I don't know anyone that has seen yours at home there. But everyone that I have spoken too including a 20 yr old niece who is visiting from Victoria right now and a 11 yr old grandson say it's really great. Check out the Museum's website maybe it'll give you some sense of the similarity or difference.

http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/temporary_exhibits/titanic.aspx

Hi,

Having been to both the Halifax museum and Fairview Lawn (and loved those for what they are), the two simply cannot be compared.

Halifax is unique in her role in the original disaster and the rescue/recovery efforts of the time. Those connections and the display of artifacts from those earlier times are without equal. The pathos of visiting the named and unnamed graves in the cemetery is moving, to say the least.

But the exhibit at the Royal BC is also without equal. We will be there in September. I'm told it is the same traveling exhibit that was in Seattle several years ago, which we made an effort to see. If so, you will NOT be disappointed in going.

Without giving away too many details, they do a masterful job of re-creating several aspects of the disaster. The exhibit admission is timed, and your ticket becomes a "boarding pass" and you become a character in the story, a passenger on the ill-fated liner.

You'll see steerage as well as first-class, you'll hear the sounds of the huge reciprocating steam engines, you'll feel the icy cold of the open decks as the iceberg passed by. You will see a huge section of the ship hull, and you will see a myriad of artifacts (far, far more than in Halifax) amazing in their state of preservation after so many decades on the sea floor.

As you leave the exhibit, you'll see a gallery of passengers and find out whether your character in the drama was among the living or the dead.

It is the BEST "Titanic" exhibit I've ever seen.

CM

• 2 weeks later...

I visited the Halifax Maritime Museum a few years ago and was impressed by the Titanic exhibit as well as the remainder of the museum, well worth visiting. We did a West Coast Wine Cruise this April on Mercury from San Francisco to Vancouver via Victoria and visited the Royal B.C. Museum. The Titanic exhibition is well worth the time so get reservations if you are going to be in Victoria. It is a great city to walk around in. Enjoy your stay here.

It was great to visit ``Our Island`` as tourists and do tourist things that we don`t typically from our home on Northern Vancouver Island.:)

Bill and Sandy

Archived