Confused at shore excursions

Would you all say that Megan's bay is better than Trunk Bay - we have two kids going age 9 and 12. What is at Megan's Bay? Is there food? Snorkling equipment - is Trunk Bay prettier. We are on the Mariner for October 31 and as of yet the excursions are not available for purchase. They say "any day". Any help you can all give me would be great.

NR

I have been to both but Megan's long ago. Trunk Bay is one of the world's 10 most beautiful beaches and there is a snorkeling trail, lockers, showers, refreshments, gift shop. I love Trunk Bay, but others have raved about Megan's Bay as well.

If I were going again, I'd go to the closest and cheapest since both are so beautiful.

Magan's Bay is on St. Thomas and easy to reach by taxi. It is a long beach with some shade trees. Yes, there is food available as well as lounge rental. Magan's is chiefly a swimming spot and not good for snorkeling. There are usually gentle swells and a slow drop off. It is very pretty. Trunk Bay is on St. John. It is a smaller beach but is picture perfect. Snorkeling is good and there is a snorkel trail. Trunk Bay is a national park. Both beaches charge a nominal fee. I think it is $3 or 4 at Megan's and $4or 5 at Trunk Bay. There is snorkel rental at Trunk Bay, but not sure about Magan's.

Go to Trunk Bay. We have done this excursion twice now, on our own. We only paid $1 to get in the park, but getting to St. John's does cost a few $ a person.

Leave the ship ASAP and take a cab to the Red Hook Ferry. Buy a round trip pass for the ferry. Once the ferry gets to St. Johns, take an open air taxi to Trunk Bay (this is a very exciting ride - just make sure that your children are secured next to you and toward the front of the taxi. ):D. The views and the snorkeling are far superior to Magan's (Magan's is very pretty from afar, but very crowded and not very good snorkeling.)

Be sure to time your excursion... the taxi's, the ferry departures, etc., so that you are not late getting back to the ship. If you are one of the first off the ship, and get right over to Red Hook and on the boat within a few minutes, you should be able to spend about 2-3 hours on the island without worry. They have great facilities!

If you want to snorkel, don't go to Magan's. It's a beautiful beach but there's really no snorkeling. One other thing, I think Magan's still has salt water showers, which to me is no shower at all. Trunk is great for snorkeling, along with many other St. John beaches. The other thing you need to decide is whether you want to do anything else while you're in St. Thomas, as going to St. John and back will probably take most of your day, although you could have a little time to shop at Havensight, which is right at the pier, when you get back. If you want to snorkel but stay on St. Thomas I'd suggest Coki or Sapphire.

Archived