Could this be the problem with children on a ship?

mcgore83

It is unfortunate that some children can get so out of control. I find that the ones that are "most" out of control are those that dont get to travel much, and lack the social etiquette and respect for others that is learned by the parents who do enjoy travel. Some would say wow...Im finally GOING somewhere and wow paying quite a bit...therefore....Im going to enjoy it to the fullest and get 3 times what I paid..and gee lets see how long it takes for room service to deliver a 4:00 am sammy...and complain because we passed out and it never got delivered.....Most would come on the ship with their manners and instill them on their children and learn what is offered ladedadeda....Ive been on a ship and the last day at sea the kids paraded around the Lido with flags and were singing songs (quite cute) and I was like....where the heck did they get all these kids? Did they pick them up at the last port.....Then unfortunately Ive been on ships that I was like....heeeeeelllllooooooooo you need to entertain your children they are NOT doing well on their own.......Just some thoughts....it will not change...you have great cruises...and you have Oyyyyy yoooo yoooooiou cruises...but hey ya just gatta let it go....servasa por fa vor! UNA MASS! gatta take the edge off!

i am with you 100%.going on vacation without your children ,to me is like eating the cake in front of the children and saying you cant have any of this .is it any wonder the kids are angry with selfish parents .i feel bad enough having to kennel our dogs ,and honestley i would take them too if i could ,we have a great family cruise .but are always saying , i wonder how the dogs are .when our kids are grown up i doubt if cruising will be the same,for us

A couple that takes time together away from their kids is not selfish.

Kids who are left with their grandparents (or other people who love them) for a few days or (GASP!) even a week while their parents spend time alone, do not grow up angry.

Spoiled kids grow up angry

Kids who grow up thinking that the entire world revolves around them, and then can't deal with the fact that it doesn't, become angry.

Kids who are taken on 'family' vacations and 'dumped' to run around the ship loose while their parents sit at the bar become angry.

But let's get one thing straight, kids whose parents keep their relationship strong even if it means they go away ALONE without them on occasion are blessed.

From the moment that umbilical cord is cut, it is the job of a parent to guide the child to independence. You've got 18 or so years to accomplish this. Leaving them for a few days here and there is a nice way to do your job. This is also good for you because you know what?? One day, IF you've done your job correctly, THEY are going to leave YOU...and you have to be just as prepared for this as them..

Kids who are left with their grandparents (or other people who love them) for a few days or (GASP!) even a week while their parents spend time alone, do not grow up angry.

Kids who grow up thinking that the entire world revolves around them, and then can't deal with the fact that it doesn't, become angry.

Kids who are taken on 'family' vacations and 'dumped' to run around the ship loose while their parents sit at the bar become angry.

But let's get one thing straight, kids whose parents keep their relationship strong even if it means they go away ALONE without them on occasion are blessed.

From the moment that umbilical cord is cut, it is the job of a parent to guide the child to independence. You've got 18 or so years to accomplish this. Leaving them for a few days here and there is a nice way to do your job. This is also good for you because you know what?? One day, IF you've done your job correctly, THEY are going to leave YOU...and you have to be just as prepared for this as them..

Nice post - - my oldest son is 10 and always questions when he can go to Vegas with us. Just this summer, I told him I will take him there on his 21st birthday if he is doing well in college. Until then, this is a trip for my dh and me to enjoy ourselves.

Interesting... seeing many of your observations about both Camp Carnival and Royal Caribbean's kids camp... I now realize that the activity level in camp depends very much on the counselors choices of activities. In fact that reminds me...

We cruise during off season times and so often they combine 2 age groups for activities. My daughter complained to me that she did not want to go because all they were doing was rough ball games.

I went to see the counselors about this and they admitted several parents had come by to ask about this - we arranged that they would offer kids the option to do crafts and watch a kids movie instead.

When I went to pick her up there were about 8 kids playing ball and about 8 kids doing crafts!

Of course on the way to dinner I had to tell her not to run in the hall. There's no changing that for a few years. :D

What I'd like to see on ships is a play area that targets ages 4 to 12. Royal Caribbean tried with Explorer and Voyager but they blew it... put in a small pool that is too deep, and a slide with a minimum height that is too high, so the area is hardly used!

Standing ovation!:D

We take 2-3 family vacations EVERY YEAR. Every 2-3 years my husband and I also go somewhere alone for a week. Our kids stay with their grandparents and have a wonderful time. During the year, we are tremendously involved in their lives, coaching sports teams, class moms, team managers, at every sports or school function, etc. Our kids know they are loved, they do not begrudge us our rare time alone.

I could not believe some of the posts that presumed to make judgments about someone on a cruise without their children. They have NO knowledge of the family dynamics, how the children are being raised, etc.

I've also seen parents who are so joined at the hip with their children that they create needy, insecure and inept children who grow up to be needy, insecure and inept. But I certainly wouldn't apply that judgment to every person on a cruise ship who I observed vacationing with their family.

There are many factors which determine how close a family is and whether or not

Mom and Dad take some time off together occasionally is only one factor in thousands.

I've also seen parents who are so joined at the hip with their children that they create needy, insecure and inept children who grow up to be needy, insecure and inept.

The people I know who raised their kids like that- the kids couldn't WAIT to get away from the family when they grew up! The family that home-schooled now has kids in other countries and the farthest away in the U.S. that they can get. Give the kids a little space now, and they're more likely to want to be with you when they're older.

On topic, we're taking my granddaughter on her 3rd cruise this December- she loves the Carnival Kids' camp. But there aren't that many sea days- most days we're in ports and she gets plenty of activity there. So I don't understand why the Camp is expected to be the only source of physical activity.

The people I know who raised their kids like that- the kids couldn't WAIT to get away from the family when they grew up! The family that home-schooled now has kids in other countries and the farthest away in the U.S. that they can get. Give the kids a little space now, and they're more likely to want to be with you when they're older.

On topic, we're taking my granddaughter on her 3rd cruise this December- she loves the Carnival Kids' camp. But there aren't that many sea days- most days we're in ports and she gets plenty of activity there. So I don't understand why the Camp is expected to be the only source of physical activity.

LOL!! :p

It doesn't always work that way!!!

I gave mine space and made free-spirit, nomads of them :eek: (well, one of the two anyway!)

They are both very independent and the older of the two (22 year old DD) is now in Montanna working for Americorps after spending 4 years in KY going to college...did I mention I live in ME??? :rolleyes:

But, the few times their Dad and I went away without them, definitely did them no harm. ;) They both turned out quite cool and I don't believe that they think us selfish in any way.

The problem with kids on a ship are PARENTS who have no concept of discipline or responsibility.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!! I have seen terrible behavior of kids & you know that it must be in part (most part) the parents. If kids have been brought up with discipline they won't go too crazy when unsupervised or in situations when they need to be still.

Archived